The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

Just now, beekay414 said:

I'd want Will Smith. Not interested all that much in Watson or Moronta. 

You'll get Sam Dyson and like it! 

You should like Moronta though. Doubt he gets moved (we should listen to offers in my opinion because we have a similar arm in Adon moving up) given that despite the high wire Brian Wilson act he pulls he still produces well and  flashes some crazy dominance with years of team control. Watson has a really wonky contract - not sure that he gets moved this year. Given his performance, I find it unlikely that he uses the player option, and what wasn't reported at the time he signed his deal was how many player incentive / performance escalators he had bulit into his deal. This year, for example, his salary jumped from 3.5 to 6.5 million, I believe. 

Will Smith will definitely get moved. As a pure rental, I think that you guys would have the compensation necessary to acquire him if you were so inclined. This isn't a Brad Hand situation or anything, in my opinion, given the difference in team control. When Melancon got moved in a similar situation, I don't think that at the time his return was perceived as great. Vasquez / Rivero wasn't even considered a national top 10 prospect at the time, if I remember right (though obviously for the pirates, he's been a pretty dominant closer since coming over and humorously enough, could also get moved....though at a much higher cost). Hearn wasn't viewed super highly either if I remember right. So if you guys were interested, I'd be willing to bet you could easily make it happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

You'll get Sam Dyson and like it! 

You should like Moronta though. Doubt he gets moved (we should listen to offers in my opinion because we have a similar arm in Adon moving up) given that despite the high wire Brian Wilson act he pulls he still produces well and  flashes some crazy dominance with years of team control. Watson has a really wonky contract - not sure that he gets moved this year. Given his performance, I find it unlikely that he uses the player option, and what wasn't reported at the time he signed his deal was how many player incentive / performance escalators he had bulit into his deal. This year, for example, his salary jumped from 3.5 to 6.5 million, I believe. 

Will Smith will definitely get moved. As a pure rental, I think that you guys would have the compensation necessary to acquire him if you were so inclined. This isn't a Brad Hand situation or anything, in my opinion, given the difference in team control. When Melancon got moved in a similar situation, I don't think that at the time his return was perceived as great. Vasquez / Rivero wasn't even considered a national top 10 prospect at the time, if I remember right (though obviously for the pirates, he's been a pretty dominant closer since coming over and humorously enough, could also get moved....though at a much higher cost). Hearn wasn't viewed super highly either if I remember right. So if you guys were interested, I'd be willing to bet you could easily make it happen. 

You'll get Corey Ray and like it!

• Like 1

The Giants and Brewers are "engaged" in trade talks regarding Smith, The Athletic's Robert Murray reported Monday morning. Sources told Murray that both teams are scouting each other, with a Giants representative in Cincinnati for the Brewers’ most recent road trip.

@beekay414

Sources told Murray that the Giants have "identified" prospect Mauricio Dubon as a player of interest. Dubon, 24, was born in Honduras but went to high school in Sacramento at Capital Christian High School. He's ranked as the Brewers' No. 5 prospect and has hit .305 with 14 home runs in Triple-A this season. 

Heh, I kind of called that one. The 14 homers is a joke in the PCL, but the average has always been there. LIS, nice right handed compliment to Panik (and even Crawford, tbh). 

15 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In a weird way I hope we don't. Those deals are so absurd you'd hope we do better by the kid than signing him for 8 years at modest arbitration prices.

Whatever gets him locked up for basically the next decade, I'm for it.

Also, we need to just stand pat. Our system is barren as it is and we're not winning **** this year. No need to give up specs to be buyers. If we make the playoffs, cool.