The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If that's the case, Stearns is not the guy we give him credit to be.

Huh? I'm not saying the dude is going to trade the farm for Noah Syndergaard or something crazy like that but you can bet your *** he'll go after a serviceable starter and a bullpen arm. Hell, we're down Woodruff and Chacin now so we are kinda forced to go out and grab a starter regardless. Doesn't have to be a major move like a Matt Boyd but we could see something for a marginal innings eater where we give up a lottery ticket. 

Stearns, nor Mark A, wouldn't sell unless we were completely out of it. We're not going to send that message that we're done and take a hit on attendance and other things when we're like 2 games out of the WC. We'd have to be in a position like the Reds are right now to sell.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Huh? I'm not saying the dude is going to trade the farm for Noah Syndergaard or something crazy like that but you can bet your *** he'll go after a serviceable starter and a bullpen arm. Hell, we're down Woodruff and Chacin now so we are kinda forced to go out and grab a starter regardless. Doesn't have to be a major move like a Matt Boyd but we could see something for a marginal innings eater where we give up a lottery ticket. 

Stearns, nor Mark A, wouldn't sell unless we were completely out of it. We're not going to send that message that we're done and take a hit on attendance and other things when we're like 2 games out of the WC. We'd have to be in a position like the Reds are right now to sell.

Then we're going to be the same team next year. If Stearns can't see an opportunity here to sell high on Moose and Grandal and role with Shaw and Pina for the rest of the year (a year you are not a top 5 team in the NL, let alone MLB), and use those two to add some higher level minors pitching (as I said another teams versions of say Zack Brown or Supak) then he isn't as good a GM as I thought. We aren't going to pay for the Dallas K, Darvish types, that is clear. We don't have close to the farm for another Grienke/Sabathia deal either. More Chacin signings aren't going to push us over the top.

This deadline should be about buying pitching using the guys in the minors who are stuck here (Ray, Erceg etc) and selling easily replaceable hitter on 1 year deals like Moose and Grandal. Every year we can be in the mix for FAs like that, who wouldn't want to hit at Miller Park? 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then we're going to be the same team next year. If Stearns can't see an opportunity here to sell high on Moose and Grandal and role with Shaw and Pina for the rest of the year (a year you are not a top 5 team in the NL, let alone MLB), and use those two to add some higher level minors pitching (as I said another teams versions of say Zack Brown or Supak) then he isn't as good a GM as I thought. We aren't going to pay for the Dallas K, Darvish types, that is clear. We don't have close to the farm for another Grienke/Sabathia deal either. More Chacin signings aren't going to push us over the top.

This deadline should be about buying pitching using the guys in the minors who are stuck here (Ray, Erceg etc) and selling easily replaceable hitter on 1 year deals like Moose and Grandal. Every year we can be in the mix for FAs like that, who wouldn't want to hit at Miller Park? 

It's not that simple, though. I'm sure Stearns realizes what we should do but Mark Attanasio isn't going to let that fly. He's not going to allow Stearns to sell when we're in the thick of the wildcard AND division. We'll see where we're at after this weekend vs the Cubs. If we take 2 of 3 from them, there's absolutely no chance we trade anyone off the MLB roster.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's not that simple, though. I'm sure Stearns realizes what we should do but Mark Attanasio isn't going to let that fly. He's not going to allow Stearns to sell when we're in the thick of the wildcard AND division. We'll see where we're at after this weekend vs the Cubs. If we take 2 of 3 from them, there's absolutely no chance we trade anyone off the MLB roster.

That could be a legit possibility, sadly I guess I'll hope we get swept then. If we retool the pitching staff using this year's assets I think we have a real shot of being something special next with with Knebel back and a full year of Hiura to go with Yelich, Hader and Woodruff.

Gist of Ken Rosenthal's athletic article that mentions us is that we're "at a crossroads" and we know we're not that great so we might sell but we also really like Robbie Ray so we might not. So, basically typical nothing of note coming out of the Brewers front office lol.

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Gist of Ken Rosenthal's athletic article that mentions us is that we're "at a crossroads" and we know we're not that great so we might sell but we also really like Robbie Ray so we might not. So, basically typical nothing of note coming out of the Brewers front office lol.

Corey Ray, Erceg, couple of high pick/value lotto tickets for Ray, sell Moose and Grandal for pitching, that'd be an awesome deadline.