The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This kind of terrifies me. We sold in a market with like 1 team buying.

Well, I'd hope there's a 3rd team because San Diego's prospect depth isn't what it used to be. If we settle for a Weathers or Marcano as the best prospect we get back in a Hader deal...

Just saw you guys signed JBJ for 2 yrs/24 million. He does have the opt out after 1 year though.

Good value for you, but curious how you guys feel about the signing? Seems like one of those head scratchers being essentially a 1 year deal. Maybe a flip candidate if you fall out of contention?

I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker with the bat, even coming off the strong showing in limited action last year. 

52 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Just saw you guys signed JBJ for 2 yrs/24 million. He does have the opt out after 1 year though.

Good value for you, but curious how you guys feel about the signing? Seems like one of those head scratchers being essentially a 1 year deal. Maybe a flip candidate if you fall out of contention?

I just don't see him being that much of a difference maker with the bat, even coming off the strong showing in limited action last year. 

We're trying to dump Lo Cain's salary on someone, probably with Hader. So this is just step 1 in a money-saving series of moves.

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We're trying to dump Lo Cain's salary on someone, probably with Hader. So this is just step 1 in a money-saving series of moves.

Got it, yah that's why I was confused on the signing, as I had heard you all were looking to move Hader and possibly others.

Makes sense though now why it's 1 year deal essentially. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Me and my guys were talking about this and this is what I came up with. It's not going to be anything close to great but that'll happen when you're using your best asset to dump salary...

Padres receive: LHP Josh Hader, eat half of Lorenzo Cain's money
Royals receive: OF Lorenzo Cain
Brewers receive: LHP Ryan Weathers, 2B/SS Tucipita Marcano, OF Edward Olivares, LHP Austin Cox, SS Charlis Aquino, RHP Tyler Zuber

Edited by beekay414

I don’t think Cain or Hader gets traded this year, although I could see us flipping Hader this summer if the team bombs (10 games back for the WC). We just love overloading on position players and playing guys out of position. That and we’re obsessed with defense his year apparently. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Me and my guys were talking about this and this is what I came up with. It's not going to be anything close to great but that'll happen when you're using your best asset to dump salary...

Padres receive: LHP Josh Hader, eat half of Lorenzo Cain's money
Royals receive: OF Lorenzo Cain
Brewers receive: LHP Ryan Weathers, 2B/SS Tucipita Marcano, OF Edward Olivares, LHP Austin Cox, SS Charlis Aquino, RHP Tyler Zuber

I'm not going to call the deal good or bad on principle. It's the type of deal a team makes when they aren't trying to win.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm not going to call the deal good or bad on principle. It's the type of deal a team makes when they aren't trying to win.

Yeah I just don't know how feasible it is to carry 3 OFers making a combined $40 million and that doesn't include our franchise player...

So our 2022 rotation could be promising IMO. I fully expect Ashby and Small to be with the big club next year replacing Houser/Lindblom and Anderson. Could be flat out special in the years after too if literally any one of Dylan File/Max Lazar/Antoine Kelly/Justin Jarvis/Alec Bettinger hit as the 5th starter. We still have Woody and Burnes through 2024. Houser is under control through the same time frame so he could possibly lock down the 5th spot as well.

2022 (or as early as mid-2021)
Woodruff
Burnes
Ashby/Small
Lindblom/Houser
Small/Ashby

Woodruff
Burnes
Ashby/Small
Small/Ashby
Houser/File/Bettinger

Woodruff
Burnes
Ashby/Small
Small/Ashby
Houser/Kelly/File/Lazar/Bettinger/Jarvis

That's also without including a college pitcher that could fast track too. Our pitching should be very friggin' nice for years to come and we handle the bullpen better than any franchise out there.

Edited by beekay414