Bitcoin

BayRaider

10 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

My cousin just had 70k stolen from him in a slight lapse of judgement due to a phishing scam. I would not suggest anyone take new wallets lightly and always double and triple check anything you are about to use. He was in a serious rush and clicked the first link. Transferred the funds and that was that.

Holy, that sucks.  What was he in a rush for, if you don't mind me asking?

13 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

My cousin just had 70k stolen from him in a slight lapse of judgement due to a phishing scam. I would not suggest anyone take new wallets lightly and always double and triple check anything you are about to use. He was in a serious rush and clicked the first link. Transferred the funds and that was that.

Why would anyone be in a rush transferring 70k?

Feel sorry for him though. That's a lot of money. 

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Holy, that sucks.  What was he in a rush for, if you don't mind me asking?

Something about an airdrop I have to read up on it. He put it on Twitter. But yea it was meant to go to a wallet link and instead it was a phishing link when he transferred the money. I only got bits and pieces, understandably he's too upset to talk about it. 

I thought he was spot on, granted it would have been nice to show the positives a bit more.  There are a lot of scams in this space and the more I do research the fewer and fewer coins/tokens are actually legitimate.  BTC, ETH, LTC, XMR, ETC, DASH, SALT, MTL, and I'm sure several others that I'm not familiar with. 

Also, when I say scams some of them are just straight out ponzi's while others are just looking to get a lot of money for really ambitious technology with no viable working product yet.  So I shouldn't really call them scams, but I am because they aren't setting hard caps on how much funding they'll take in.  They'll premine all the coins, keep a good stake for themselves/early investors and allow them to dump half their coins when their price target is hit to re-coup their initial investment.  Not necessarily a scam per se.

Jon Oliver is right.  We're gambling.  As long as you know that, then it's fine to be in this space.  Also, not trying to be on a high horse or anything.  I definitely own scam coins myself.  They might be scams but that doesn't mean you can't make money off of them...lol

3 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Hey if you know something we don't, share the knowledge!!! Lol

lol, no one knows anything. 

I did buy some more ELF, I still believe in that coin to rise.  Chinese $ can go a long way, and it has some backing there.

Also, while I know nothing.  I am starting to hear some positives about the market.  Hoping it picks up in the next couple of weeks.  Accumulation period for the next 10 days or so, and then hopefully a breakout to $14k...

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I thought he was spot on, granted it would have been nice to show the positives a bit more.  There are a lot of scams in this space and the more I do research the fewer and fewer coins/tokens are actually legitimate.  BTC, ETH, LTC, XMR, ETC, DASH, SALT, MTL, and I'm sure several others that I'm not familiar with. 

Also, when I say scams some of them are just straight out ponzi's while others are just looking to get a lot of money for really ambitious technology with no viable working product yet.  So I shouldn't really call them scams, but I am because they aren't setting hard caps on how much funding they'll take in.  They'll premine all the coins, keep a good stake for themselves/early investors and allow them to dump half their coins when their price target is hit to re-coup their initial investment.  Not necessarily a scam per se.

Jon Oliver is right.  We're gambling.  As long as you know that, then it's fine to be in this space.  Also, not trying to be on a high horse or anything.  I definitely own scam coins myself.  They might be scams but that doesn't mean you can't make money off of them...lol

I don't like Oliver he's just another Night show host who pretends to know more then he does when the vast bulk of his stuff is written for him by other Hollywood writers who also like to pretend. 

Also to his point of the crypto talk. He cannot state for a fact half of them are scams because he does not have "proof" of that considering he loves throwing that at everyone else he goes on to bash. 

45 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I don't like Oliver he's just another Night show host who pretends to know more then he does when the vast bulk of his stuff is written for him by other Hollywood writers who also like to pretend. 

"Last Week Tonight" is really hit or miss, you hit the nail on the head when it comes to their bad episodes, their episode on crypto seems more bad than good in the sense it focuses on the 'scam' aspect of it and points out problems with ICOs. However it does extend an olive branch when it comes to the blockchain and potential uses for it moving forward, and it does (shockingly) acknowledge that all currencies essentially operate on a "faith" based system.

It's a good video to watch for the layman who may not be as aware of all the different scam coins and pump-and-dump campaigns that exist.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:50 AM, MookieMonster said:

So...Is this Bitcoin drop anything to worry about?

Probably not.  Bitcoin isn't going anywhere anytime soon and to that, Altcoins are going to exist as well.  The reality is that nobody can really give you any true insight into what the market is going to do.  It's too volatile.  Right now we're in a bear market and Bitcoin just happens to be shtting itself at the moment.  Because of that you're going to see altcoins dips slightly after Bitcoin dips.  You'll also see them rise shortly after Bitcoin does.

Right now you're in a market where it's good to buy on dips and HODL.  If you've got fiat you're willing to lose if it all goes upside, then buy more.  98% of coins, ALT or major, are going to be LTE (long term investments), so build your stacks before the next explosion.  Research the coins you like and invest accordingly.

Edited by Super4

4 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Also to his point of the crypto talk. He cannot state for a fact half of them are scams because he does not have "proof" of that considering he loves throwing that at everyone else he goes on to bash. 

That's literally his job.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Couple people I follow on twitter in the crypto world stated how well prepared and knowledgable the show writers/researchers were that contacted them.  One of them is the creator of DOGE, who has a fantastic youtube channel if you're looking to learn more about the tech: https://www.youtube.com/user/jacksonpalmerbc

It's always tough for an outside organization that's not obsessed with this stuff to write accurate pieces (1/2 of this board knows more about football than a lot of national writers), but I wouldn't say anything he stated was incorrect.  Some TBD, but his points align with the majority of knowledgable folks in crypto IMHO.

The more you really dig into crypto currencies (at least for me), the more the BTC maximalist make sense...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Couple people I follow on twitter in the crypto world stated how well prepared and knowledgable the show writers/researchers were that contacted them.  One of them is the creator of DOGE, who has a fantastic youtube channel if you're looking to learn more about the tech: https://www.youtube.com/user/jacksonpalmerbc

It's always tough for an outside organization that's not obsessed with this stuff to write accurate pieces (1/2 of this board knows more about football than a lot of national writers), but I wouldn't say anything he stated was incorrect.  Some TBD, but his points align with the majority of knowledgable folks in crypto IMHO.

The more you really dig into crypto currencies (at least for me), the more the BTC maximalist make sense...

I think the dislike of Oliver from certain posters might come from the tilt of his show. JMO.

14 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I've been splitting between BTC, ETH, LTC... but that route has some serious merits. I figure you can tweak the ratios in a way that hedges your bet towards BTC.