Bitcoin

BayRaider

Uncle Buck,

Don't invest in Bitcoin until the first few days of November. After the bitcoin hardfork on the 25th, the price is gonna sink quite a bit as everyone is gonna sell. Instead, buy Etherum, Litecoin, and other Altcoins as their price is going to go up significantly after the 25th. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Very minimal gains. I know of a ridiculous amount of people who made 1000x return on one cryptocurrency investment. 

And I know of a person who made 1000000x return on a lottery ticket. You're talking about something that's the equivalent to day-trading and trying to compare it to long-term investing. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the goals of each investor. You really have no idea what you're talking about if you think you make very minimal gains in bonds.

All in all, I don't begrudge people investing in cryptocurrency. It seems like fun and has a lot of upside. But at the end of the day, the people investing their money patiently in the traditional markets are going to make out plenty well. So it's probably best to chill with the cockiness and hyperbole. Diversifying is a good thing.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And I know of a person who made 1000000x return on a lottery ticket. You're talking about something that's the equivalent to day-trading and trying to compare it to long-term investing. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the goals of each investor. You really have no idea what you're talking about if you think you make very minimal gains in bonds.

All in all, I don't begrudge people investing in cryptocurrency. It seems like fun and has a lot of upside. But at the end of the day, the people investing their money patiently in the traditional markets are going to make out plenty well. So it's probably best to chill with the cockiness and hyperbole. Diversifying is a good thing.

I fully agree with the diversifying and both absolutely have their own advantages. To each his own my friend. No need for the insults. 

Although i'm not really talking to much of a long term investment. People have earned a 1000x return within just a few years in cryptocurrency with the right investment and research. 

Day trading is certainly profitable and takes skill but you need a pretty decent bankroll to take up day trading. You don't need much to invest in cryptocurrency to make a pretty decent gain as long as you invest in the right coins at the right time. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I fully agree with the diversifying and both absolutely have their own advantages. To each his own my friend. No need for the insults. 

Although i'm not really talking to much of a long term investment. People have earned a 1000x return within just a few years with the right investment and research. 

Day trading is certainly profitable and takes skill but you need a prettt decent bankroll to take up day trading. You don't need much to invest in cryptocurrency to make a pretty decent gain as long as you invest in the right coins at the right time. 

There were no insults in my post. I'm just telling you to relax a bit. Hubris isn't a good thing when it comes to your money.

As for not talking about long-term investing, that's the core of the problem. You're evaluating a market focused on long-term investing (except for the more speculative bonds) through a different lens. Most people are looking to invest for retirement. To those people, they'd prefer a safe investment with a solid return over a long period of time. Bonds are good for that, especially if you don't want to have to constantly keep up with the market.

I'm just gonna give you one more word of caution: I think you're conflating profitable with safe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There were no insults in my post. I'm just telling you to relax a bit. Hubris isn't a good thing when it comes to your money.

As for not talking about long-term investing, that's the core of the problem. You're evaluating a market focused on long-term investing (except for the more speculative bonds) through a different lens. Most people are looking to invest for retirement. To those people, they'd prefer a safe investment with a solid return over a long period of time. Bonds are good for that, especially if you don't want to have to constantly keep up with the market.

I'm just gonna give you one more word of caution: I think you're conflating profitable with safe.

Bonds are the safest possible thing you can invest in, yes. All I was saying you're not gonna get a huge 1000x type return, especially in the short term like you can with crypto. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Bonds are the safest possible thing you can invest in, yes. All I was saying you're not gonna get a huge 1000x type return, especially in the short term like you can with crypto. 

Yea but you were responding to Rams' joke. The point he was making is that Bitcoin is so profitable because it's speculative. The idea that it's ridiculously safe is premised on fallacious logic. I would direct you towards the dotcom bust as an example of that. It was a new technology. People saw huge profits speculating. The belief that consistent profits equated to a safe investment caused people to speculate more. As profits continued to soar, people fell into the mindset that the profits would not stop soaring. Of course, we all know that the market ended up crashing because people were throwing money at things they didn't really understand. Thus, they couldn't foresee the issues that would arise and how it would essentially destroy that market.

And yes, I know you can give me 100 reasons why Bitcoin is different than the dotcom bust. My point here is that almost nobody saw the dotcom bust coming. They fell into the trap of believing that consistent profits meant something was safe. You're making large profits with Bitcoin because it isn't safe. And I'm not saying you're wrong to do that. In 10 years, you might be proven right. But right now, it's speculative. That's why you can make such a killing.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't get overconfident. It seems like you're doing your research. That is good. That will protect you. Continue to research it, continue to stay on top of new developments, and keep an eye out for possible roadblocks (regulatory schemes are something that could potentially damage the market in the future).

• Like 2

Good post jrry ;) 

You have to understand there is over 1,000 cryptocurrencies. I'm pretty much saying Bitcoin is by far the safest cryptocurrency. Not safe compared to traditional investing. I do feel Bitcoin is pretty safe though and isn't going anywhere for a while. In 20 years it's entirely possible we could see a $0 Bitcoin. It's also entirely possible it could be something ridiculous like $100,000+. 

You can't really get rich off Bitcoin anymore and a lot of people sell at a certain price and then buy again when it reaches a low price. It's still possible to get a 20-30x long term profit from Bitcoin but the real money is in the lesser known coins. Just have to do research and see what coins you feel have a solid goal, solid use, solid team, and several other factors. Over the past few years many of these coins have been less than a penny and reach $5-30. There is still a lot of money to be made in crypto whether it is a fad or not. Although I don't believe it is. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

The Bitcoin Hardfork just happened.. and just like I thought, Bitcoin is taking a dive and all Altcoins are up 10% today. This will continie. Bitcoin went from 6000 to 5600 and will keep falling to at least 5300. Possibly even lower. And all the Altcoins are gonna keep increasing like crazy over the next couple weeks. 

• Like 1

So I had someone ask me what is the best way to invest a very small amount such as a $100. Obviously you won't make any substantial gains on a coin that already boomed such as Bitcoin, Ehterum, and Litecoin. You can still make a ton of money in these coins but the x1000 gold rush is long over for them. If you bought Bitcoin in 2010 when it was just 8 cents, you'd have gained a 71,250% profit. Millionaire off just $100. More like 7 million actually. If you're trying to flip a 1,000+% profit, it's still possible and you still can by investing in newer or brand new coins. Just have to do a lot of research and prepare for quite a bit of misses.

Here is what I sent to this gentlemen:

If you want to make money with just a $100 you need to find a less popular coin or a coin that is just starting doing their ICO (Initial Coin Offering). You have to do a ton of research on ICOs. Many of them don't do well or are flat out scams. However, if you find the right one I know of multiple people who have made over x1000 on their initial investment. People have turned 1,000 into one million on ICOs. 

If you want a early coin with tons of potential I recommend Komodo. It's at $1.81 right now and could really be the next big crypto. I love the team, the idea, and vision. What Komodo does is guarantee privacy for all parties in an ICO along with many other useful features. Feel free to google them and look at their website. 

As for ICOs, there is only two I like at the moment out of like 80-100 coming out from now til the end of the year. Most ICOs suck. It's a gamble and you really gotta do research. 

1. Confideal

Confideal is a solid ICO from the research ive done. Above average team, A+ advisors though, solid idea, solid name (this really does matter, simplicity always matters). This is what Confideal does and is taken from their website:

Confideal is a unique smart contract management service for individuals and businesses, that allows its users to create and make safe, fast and anonymous deals powered by blockchain technology.

Contracting is a complex bureaucratic procedure that consumes significant money, time and resources, especially when dealing with overseas partners.

Confideal will reduce transaction costs, enhance the security of funds by escrow agent, improve the speed of the deal making process, resolve disputes through the arbitration module and expand business opportunities for enterprises, small companies, and individuals.
All smart contracts made with Confideal are encrypted and backed up on Ethereum blockchain to ensure their autonomy and safety.

I'd grade the Confideal project a B+ and probably will invest. 

2. Playkey

What Playkey does is let people rent out other peoples computers remotely to play high quality games like GTAV. At first the idea sounded a little far fetched to me but honestly how many people have a top NVIDIA graphic card with 16GB ram. And the rental rate would only be about $1 an hour. Their demo has proven no lag and you can still compete with high-end players. I'm leaning towards investing in Playkey but a much smaller amount. I'm not quite sold on their team but they are legit. I'd grade this project a C+ bordering on a B-. 

If you research ICOs you have to look for a good token amount/limit. 1. What's the overall supply? 2. How much are they giving during the ICO? The perfect total supply is between 50 million and 100 million. Don't ever buy a coin with like a 1 billion total supply. Also never buy a coin where the Public will not receive at least 80% of the total supply. If the team has to much of the supply, they can influence their price and cause it to go up or down to fit their needs. Confideal is 80 million total and giving out 80% during their ICO which is really good. Playkey is similar but I'd have to double check. 

This is not financial advice. I take no responsibility for your gains or losses. I am one guy. Research. Research. Research. For every good ICO you find, there will be 90 bad ones.

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2017 at 10:35 PM, BayRaider said:

Uncle Buck,

Don't invest in Bitcoin until the first few days of November. After the bitcoin hardfork on the 25th, the price is gonna sink quite a bit as everyone is gonna sell. Instead, buy Etherum, Litecoin, and other Altcoins as their price is going to go up significantly after the 25th. 

Thanks for all the info in your posts on this page, BayRaider.  I'm taking my time before getting into any cryptocurrencies at this point.  I don't get anxious when it comes to investments.  In this case, I'm trying to do things securely and not risk losing any money to scammers.  If I buy anything I'm just going to stick with Bitcoin for now.  I will start looking at some of the other alt-coins as I learn more about the technology in general.

One thing I'm wondering about is which exchange to use.  I was going to use Coinbase, but unfortunately, I live Minnesota - one of the few states in which they are still not cleared to do business.  Do you have any experience with Kraken?

Edited by Uncle Buck