Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah meant to say rookie slot CB as his skill profile - IR then inactive the rest of the year.  But the post-Harris era is the other angle.  Callahan’s difference in play is stark between slot & outside.  But you can’t really complain about trying to find more talent cheaply.   This is the time when talented rosters can’t keep guys that can help teams like us that have clear depth issues.   

I do wonder how good of a gunner Dawson is.  If he’s worth anything there it could easily make the diff there. 

I'm not sure if he's been used much there but Bausby profiles perfectly as a gunner. 

I thought Linden Stephens had done enough for them to feel okay rostering him, but they clearly saw a big talent gap between the contributors and depth guys. Really sounds like Duke was just squeezed out of a talented room, and Belichick doesn't believe in sunk costs. 

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fwiw the Raiders already cut Brandon Marshall. Was working his way back to health and just didn't look very good tbh.

Lower body injuries took away his explosion and quickness.  When he was playing at his peak in 2014-16 he was in the top 5 ILB discussion.  But when the decline phase hits for ILB it happens fast unless you are truly an elite talent.  Marshall was great at peak but nowhere near elite.   So the decline phase hit him hard, he wasn’t even league average last year.  Seems like he’s done.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Lower body injuries took away his explosion and quickness.  When he was playing at his peak in 2014-16 he was in the top 5 ILB discussion.  But when the decline phase hits for ILB it happens fast unless you are truly an elite talent.  Marshall was great at peak but nowhere near elite.   So the decline phase hit him hard, he wasn’t even league average last year.  Seems like he’s done.  

His real issue is in decision making. Ray Lewis said he would train with him and he declined the offer. He said Marshall needed to train on sand. Talk about slapping a gift horse in the mouth.

Edited by jsthomp2007

The legacy of the 2017 draft nightmare for Elway finds another chapter closed - what a colossal reach.  At least Elway’s appeared to have learned his lesson about not reaching for all-tool no-skill guys Day 2.   2017 taught the final lesson with Carlos Henderson & Brendan Langley. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The legacy of the 2017 draft nightmare for Elway finds another chapter closed - what a colossal reach.  At least Elway’s appeared to have learned his lesson about not reaching for all-tool no-skill guys Day 2.   2017 taught the final lesson with Carlos Henderson & Brendan Langley. 

For some reason I liked him. Not sure why...like just an extremely good athlete. So I get the intrigue about him. Alas, he could have been had in the 6th or 7th round if you wanted to kick the tires on "upside." 

Actually I think he is like Cravens...just built well athletic, and you'd think they'd have a place on a team...guess there is more to it.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah meant to say rookie slot CB as his skill profile - IR then inactive the rest of the year.  But the post-Harris era is the other angle.  Callahan’s difference in play is stark between slot & outside.  But you can’t really complain about trying to find more talent cheaply.   This is the time when talented rosters can’t keep guys that can help teams like us that have clear depth issues.   

I do wonder how good of a gunner Dawson is.  If he’s worth anything there it could easily make the diff there. 

He didn’t play gunner well for the Patriots. If he had special teams value, there might have been a spot for him. 

Edited by nextsuperstar1

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm not sure if he's been used much there but Bausby profiles perfectly as a gunner. 

I thought Linden Stephens had done enough for them to feel okay rostering him, but they clearly saw a big talent gap between the contributors and depth guys. Really sounds like Duke was just squeezed out of a talented room, and Belichick doesn't believe in sunk costs. 

Yeah sounds like Stephens is the direct drop as a result of the trade.   Agree he has a a lot of potential to be a PS stash provided he clears waivers.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Side note - Shaq Barrett made the Bucs (no surprise), but Shane Ray couldn't crack the Ravens.  And as covered, Brandon Marshall didn't make the Raiders.  Shows how quickly fortunes change once decline phase hits.  

In a perfect world they would have liked to keep Barrett I'm sure. Ray was horrible. He, Marshall and Stewart were the worst players on the defense last year and unsurprisingly, it looks like none of them will make an initial 53.