Training Camp Notes & Observations

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Broncos should have hung onto that TE that signed with the Pats, TBH. 

29 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm sure they were trying to negotiate with both Heuerman and LaCosse.LaCosse signed literally a day before Heuerman.

He signed a heck of a lot cheaper too. It's understandable when you factor in his chance to start, and him going to an immediate contender. I highly doubt he gives us the same type of discount given the state of the team and offense.

Lacosse is also a pure move TE.   With Fant they need an inline capable TE to pair him with.  It’s why they prioritized Heuermann as re-sign.  

For better or worse I get it.   It’s also likely part of the reason they drafted Fumigali as inline TE insurance. I don’t have any confidence we have our future inline-capable TE2 who can succeed,  but I get the reasoning to let Lacosse walk. 

And right on cue...Butt getting the knee scoped.  Ugh. 

Edited by Broncofan

My final guess at our 53:

Offense:

QB: Joe Flacco, Kevin Hogan, Drew Lock

RB: Philip Lindsay, Royce Freeman, Theo Riddick, Devontae Booker

FB: Andy Janovich

WR: Emmanuel Sanders, Courtland Sutton, DaeSean Hamilton, Tim Patrick, Juwan Winfree, River Cracraft

TE: Jeff Heuerman, Noah Fant, Troy Fumagalli

OT: Garrett Bolles, Ja'Wuan James, Elijah Wilkinson, Jake Rodgers

OG: Dalton Risner, Ronald Leary, Don Barclay

C: Connor McGovern, Jake Brendel

Defense:

DE: Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Demarcus Walker, Dre'Mont Jones

NT: Shelby Harris, Mike Purcell

OLB: Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Malik Reed, Justin Hollins

ILB: Todd Davis, Josey Jewell, AJ Johnson, Jamal Carter

CB: Chris Harris Jr, Bryce Callahan, Isaac Yiadom, DeVaunte Bausby, Linden Stephens

S: Justin Simmons, Kareem Jackson, Will Parks, Su'a Cravens

Special team:

K: Brandon McManus

P: Colby Wadman

LS: Casey Kreiter

Practice squad:

QB Brett Rypien

RB Khalfani Muhammad

WR Trinity Benson

WR Kelvin McKnight

OG Austin Schlottman

OLB Ahmad Gooden

ILB Joe Dineen Jr

CB Alijah Holder

CB Trey Johnson

S Trey Marshall

You're missing Schlottman on the OL. 

Right now I'm just curious if Wilkinson or Schlottman will start the season at RG. Looks like McGovern is on a pretty short leash and either Brendel or Schlottman are much better snappers than he. Schlottman's started the last two, one at RG, the other at C. Wilkinson started last week at RG and can play 4 of 5 OL spots.

I won't be surprised if we have two OL on the final 53 that aren't on the roster yet. I doubt it'll be real tough to upgrade over Rodgers, barclay or Brendel from the waiver wire. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

You're missing Schlottman on the OL. 

Right now I'm just curious if Wilkinson or Schlottman will start the season at RG. Looks like McGovern is on a pretty short leash and either Brendel or Schlottman are much better snappers than he. Schlottman's started the last two, one at RG, the other at C. Wilkinson started last week at RG and can play 4 of 5 OL spots.

I won't be surprised if we have two OL on the final 53 that aren't on the roster yet. I doubt it'll be real tough to upgrade over Rodgers, barclay or Brendel from the waiver wire. 

Yeah, the McGovern move to OC is still somewhat curious to me.  I think at a glance if everything goes right it gets the teams best 5 OL on the field as Leary/Wilkinson don’t have experience at OC.  McGovern wasn’t at slouch at RG though, his pass pro fell off quite a bit as the season wore on, but like midway through last year he was a top 5 run blocking OG according to PFF.  

^^^ To add to the above, McGoverns overall grade dropped dramatically when moved to OC last season.  From what I’ve seen and I am no OL guy, he just doesn’t have the quickness to snap the ball and fulfill his assignment.  He also is shaky snapping in the shotgun, which is an obvious concern.

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

^^^ To add to the above, McGoverns overall grade dropped dramatically when moved to OC last season.  From what I’ve seen and I am no OL guy, he just doesn’t have the quickness to snap the ball and fulfill his assignment.  He also is shaky snapping in the shotgun, which is an obvious concern.

It really was a huge gamble letting Paradis go. 

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It really was a huge gamble letting Paradis go. 

Ah, idk if it was a huge gamble considering the price and the fact Denver has like no money right now, but I do think it was a gamble not bringing in a solid vet on cheap that could step in and be solid at OC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Ah, idk if it was a huge gamble considering the price and the fact Denver has like no money right now, but I do think it was a gamble not bringing in a solid vet on cheap that could step in and be solid at OC.

Let me modify that a bit. Change the period to a comma and add "without a better plan B than an out of position OG that can't snap the ball replacing him."

Some decisions they're probably making for the initial 53. Feels a lot more open than in the past.

Kevin Hogan vs. Brock Osweiler Some Veteran QB 

Keep 4th RB in Muhammad? Seems like a luxury with numbers issues everywhere. 

River Cracraft vs. Kelvin McKnight to be 6th WR/punt catcher. 

Carry Orson Charles/George Aston as 2-4 week Jano replacement, or just use Fumagalli in that role?

So much to sort through as far as OL depth. Nothing after Wilkinson is guaranteed, with up to 6 guys being in the mix (Schlottman, Brendel, Barclay, Rodgers, Jones, Leglue) plus street FAs? 

Mike Purcell vs. DeShawn Williams as an early down rotational NT. I think either could do the job better than what Kerr gave us. Purcell probably has the edge, but both have played well. 

Does another UDFA who's come on in Ahmad Gooden make it as 5th OLB or do they carry 4 and stash him on the PS?

Who the hell knows after AJ Johnson (who is just barely playable) with the ILBs, and what happens with Joe Jones? Can they afford to IR-return him? He's the best athlete of the bunch and looked like he had a defined role as a nickel LB already (just from videos of camp I saw). With Jones out and Davis sidelined for at least a week or two, they have two spots to fill. Watson has probably done the most with his play (not saying much) and Carter offers STs value. I'd carry Dineen on the PS and dump Bierria.

Linden Stephens vs. Alijah Holder vs. the field as 5th CB if they keep 5. Stephens has looked pretty consistent and is easily the best of the bunch, but Holder offers some sneaky roster upside because he's been playing both CB and safety. Made a play tonight which will help his chances. The other guys are not even D-1 starter quality.

Trey Marshall looks like the last man standing at safety if they keep 5, with both Thomases going down with injuries unfortunately right before the season starts. I think Cravens has done enough to lock in a spot already. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

Well this is bumping someone from the secondary off the 53-man roster.   Dawson was a good player in the slot as a rookie - given that’s Callahan’s best role you wonder if health issues linger.    Improving ST another key goal. 

No details but a pick swap in day 3 sounds about right for the currency pre-53 man cutdowns given the loaded rosters can’t keep guys and other teams usually need roster holes filled cheaply given their cap situations.  

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well this is bumping someone from the secondary off the 53-man roster.   Dawson was a good player in the slot as a rookie - given that’s Callahan’s best role you wonder if health issues linger.    Improving ST another key goal. 

No details but a pick swap in day 3 sounds about right for the currency pre-53 man cutdowns given the loaded rosters can’t keep guys and other teams usually need roster holes filled cheaply given their cap situations.  

I don't think Dawson played last year, but he was a very talented nickel corner prospect. Callahan looks like he's going to be playing almost exclusively outside, so they may be addressing depth while giving themselves a potential replacement for Harris next year and beyond. 

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't think Dawson played last year, but he was a very talented nickel corner prospect. Callahan looks like he's going to be playing almost exclusively outside, so they may be addressing depth while giving themselves a potential replacement for Harris next year and beyond. 

Yeah meant to say rookie slot CB as his skill profile - IR then inactive the rest of the year.  But the post-Harris era is the other angle.  Callahan’s difference in play is stark between slot & outside.  But you can’t really complain about trying to find more talent cheaply.   This is the time when talented rosters can’t keep guys that can help teams like us that have clear depth issues.   

I do wonder how good of a gunner Dawson is.  If he’s worth anything there it could easily make the diff there. 

Edited by Broncofan