2019 Vikings Training Camp/Preseason

SemperFeist

On 7/31/2019 at 8:38 PM, Ozzy said:

Sure some do but there have been in mini camps, they have worked out the both of them and if Smith is not better than Conklin at this point that would be a surprise.  Will see how both look during the preseason but Smith's speed and big play ability should put him over Conklin I would think, but maybe not.

Speed? That’s questionable if he truly is “quicker” that Conklin. Outside of the 40 time, Conklin beat Irv in every agility drill. 

Smith could very well be behind on knowledge and just adaptation compared to Conklin. Remember Conklin was no slouch in college. Two year starter in college, and has had a season in the NFL, compared to Irv who started one year and came out early.

8 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Speed? That’s questionable if he truly is “quicker” that Conklin. Outside of the 40 time, Conklin beat Irv in every agility drill. 

Smith could very well be behind on knowledge and just adaptation compared to Conklin. Remember Conklin was no slouch in college. Two year starter in college, and has had a season in the NFL, compared to Irv who started one year and came out early.

Outside of the 40?  Sure he beat Smith in those drills but give me the 4.62 40 speed TE compared to 4.8, and I would argue Smith is a better route runner.  Only thing Conklin has on him is the jump ball ability and even that is a little bit of a question until he proves he can do it more.  What Smith did on Alabama against far superior competition is far more impressive to me even if it was only one year than what Conklin did on Central Michigan in the MAC against much less competition.  

Would be great if Conklin develops and becomes a weapon but if that is the case yeah they wasted a pick big time on Irv Smith.  No way this year should he be beaten out by Conklin and again if that happens that is a disappointment.  

Want to talk a good TE workout you talk about Mike Gesicki, he beat Conklin in every which way across the board and is 3 inches taller with bigger hands and long arms and ran a 4.5 40.  Yet even he fell in the 2nd round, yeah give me him over both Conklin or Smith.  

On 8/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, wcblack34 said:

6,000 calories per day. That's just mind-boggling. 

Wasn't Kalil doing 9k from reports during one of his first two camps?

i love that from O'Neill - asking one of the best what he can do better is going to help him make a great jump from year one to two. I expect great things from that kid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Outside of the 40?  Sure he beat Smith in those drills but give me the 4.62 40 speed TE compared to 4.8, and I would argue Smith is a better route runner.  Only thing Conklin has on him is the jump ball ability and even that is a little bit of a question until he proves he can do it more.  What Smith did on Alabama against far superior competition is far more impressive to me even if it was only one year than what Conklin did on Central Michigan in the MAC against much less competition.  

Would be great if Conklin develops and becomes a weapon but if that is the case yeah they wasted a pick big time on Irv Smith.  No way this year should he be beaten out by Conklin and again if that happens that is a disappointment.  

Want to talk a good TE workout you talk about Mike Gesicki, he beat Conklin in every which way across the board and is 3 inches taller with bigger hands and long arms and ran a 4.5 40.  Yet even he fell in the 2nd round, yeah give me him over both Conklin or Smith.  

Conklin could very well he competing against Rudolph for all we know and the future could be Conklin/Smith. I guess I don't see why these two can't coexist for the benefit of a 30 year old TE who's mostly mediocre.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Conklin could very well he competing against Rudolph for all we know and the future could be Conklin/Smith. I guess I don't see why these two can't coexist for the benefit of a 30 year old TE who's mostly mediocre.

The Vikings are lucky to still have Kyle Rudolph who is 29.  Having Kyle around gives them an inkling of character and leadership on that offense much less the team in general.  The guy is great in the community and is a great leader I feel, call him mediocre?  Well take him off the roster and that TE position looks a hell of a lot different and a heck of a lot worse.  Maybe Conklin will take over but he would be damn lucky to have half the career Kyle has had and will continue to have.  Granted he played poor last year and the year before in terms of total production but was also not a focus of the offense either.  

Here are some other TEs drafted in 2011 and 2012 compared to Kyle.  So to call him mediocre I disagree completely on that.  Is he Tony Gonzalez of course not but he is better than a mediocre TE.  

Kyle Rudolph 3700+ yards 41 TDs in 8 years and currently in the league

Coby Fleener 3000+ yards 22 TDs in 6 years and currently out of the league

Julius Thomas 2400+ yards 36 TDs in 6 years and currently out of the league

Lance Kendricks 2500+ yards 19 TDs in 8 years and currently in the league

Jordan Cameron 2000+ yards 14 TDs in 6 years and currently out of the league

Dwayne Allen 1500+ yards 20 TDs in 7 years and currently in the league

Ladarius Green 1300+ yards 8 TDs in 5 years and currently out of the league

Virgil Green 1000+ yards 5 TDs and 8 years and currently in the league

James Hanna 350+ yards 1 TD in 5 years and currently out of the league

6-6 257, 4.57, 18 reps, 39" vert, 134 broad, 10 1/8" hands

Who is that? Bucky Hodges and to me Conklin is not even close to the potential Hodges had and look at how his career turned out so far.  So to scoff at the production and career Kyle has had so far, well there has been far worse TEs for the Vikings.  Kyle Rudolph is arguably the best pure in line TE the organization has ever had.  Steve Jordan you say, well he is arguably a big WR in a time where few had the backers to cover a pass catching TE/WR like he was.  Rudolph will never get to his level of yards but Rudolph is also a better pure TE overall in terms of blocking and pass catching.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Why do they release "unofficial" depth charts???

Because they aren’t official. 

These aren’t put out by the coaches. This is just some media intern’s interpretation of the depth chart put out for fans and news outlets. 

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Nothing I’d call surprising. 

Sloter I feel is better than Mannion and will win the job over him hopefully.  I would like to see Samia #2 on the depth chart at LG, I hope he rises up and plays well and hopefully Kline can be over taken by Isidora and they can cut Kline but maybe that will not happen and he will play ok.  

Love having Odenigbo back on the roster hopefully he can stick around and do some things on the edge, he was very good last preseason.  Curious to see what Aruna can do this preseason after being injured basically all of last year.

No way I take Gedeon over Eric Wilson, give me Wilson as the starter and more Gedeon to more a backup ILB spot or possible run stopping LB in a nickel defense.  Excited to see Downs and Cameron Smith as well who I feel could be a OLB also and potentially take Gedeon's spot as well.  That CB depth looks bad without Hughes or Hill but maybe Rhodes and Waynes can stay healthy for once.  Not surprised to see Ameer as the punt and kick return man, would be a little surprised if he does both but why not it is a position of need.

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While not a huge surprise, based upon the things I've been hearing, the only modest surprises are that Danny Isidora is still ahead of Dru Samia and Irv Smith is already ahead of Conklin.  

I'm not confident Isidora makes the team. He's been on the roster for years and has never seemed to really elevate himself. He's not even in the mix to start. That should be a red flag for a developmental OL and it's not like he hasn't had opportunities the last few years.

• Like 1

It’s unofficial but:

• Mannion is QB2 ahead of Sloter who seems like he might lose out to Browning for QB3, assuming they keep 3 (maybe just 2 with Sloter released and Browning on the PS). 
  • Mattison is RB2 already. Abdullah is RB3 ahead of Boone and 1st choice for KR and PR. Looks like Boone (who was behind Abdullah at the end of last year too) won’t stick unless they keep 4 HBs
  • Irv is TE2 ahead of Conklin who’s TE3. Morgan is still out and listed at TE4. The two UDFAs (Hikutini and Dillon) have been impressive according to camp reports. I think they’ll keep 4 TEs but Morgan might not make it. This would be his last year if they kept him, so they might want to hang on to one of the depth guys for future usage, especially if Rudolph is gone in a year or two. 
  • Beebe and Taylor are WR3/WR4. Treadwell is listed ahead of Zylstra, mildly surprising.
  • The OL is about as expected
  • Odenigbo is DE4, and reports from camp have been promising 
  • Holmes is ahead of Mata’afa for DT2
  • Cam Smith is listed as a MLB behind Kendricks and Brothers
  • Derron Smith is listed Harrison Smith’s backup, while Epps is 3rd string behind Harris. I wouldn’t read too much into those details at this point.

Most interestingly, and similar to last year at this time, all day 3 rookies are listed behind any vets at their positions, and UDFA rookies are listed behind draft picks. The one exception is Holton Hill busted down to the bottom of the CB list, behind Kris Boyd on that side. This points to players those rookies need to beat out to make the team. The rookie WRs need to beat Treadwell, Zylstra and Badet. Samia needs to beat Isidora and/or Dozier, Smith needs to beat Brothers, etc. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Because they aren’t official. 

These aren’t put out by the coaches. This is just some media intern’s interpretation of the depth chart put out for fans and news outlets. 

So, what use does it possibly have?

54 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Irv is TE2 ahead of Conklin who’s TE3. Morgan is still out and listed at TE4. The two UDFAs (Hikutini and Dillon) have been impressive according to camp reports. I think they’ll keep 4 TEs but Morgan might not make it. This would be his last year if they kept him, so they might want to hang on to one of the depth guys for future usage, especially if Rudolph is gone in a year or two. 

As I woke up just now, PA was talking about Morgan on KFAN. Said the situation is weird because he's not even rehabbing on the side field.