• RB Khari Blasingame
  • QB Jake Browning
  • T Aviante Collins
  • DE Stacy Keely
  • DB Nate Meadors
  • WR Dillon Mitchell
  • LB Cameron Smith
  • LB Devante Downs

The Vikings practice squad now stands at 8 of a possible 10 players.

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-practice-squad-2019?sf218553913=1

@Krauser and @wcblack34 will be pleased at the inclusion of Blasingame.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Really?  Getting damaged goods again I think kind of like Bailey, not good enough for the Browns but is for us.  And I feel Vedvik will have just a fine time as a Jet similar to Carlson now on the Raiders doing just fine.  

Marcus Sherels was cut by the Saints, curious if the Vikings would bring him back if they need a CB in the near future if someone goes down.  And Briean Boddy-Calhoun was cut, I always liked his ball skills as a corner but is lacking in some other areas, still has some experience and potential.  Derrick Baity Jr was cut as a CB, long lean guy who is fast, I liked him out of Kentucky no doubt, he would be of interest I feel.  Could argue he was easily one of the most talented CBs cut, Adonnis Alexander as well but he is a little more on the raw side of things but is a huge CB.

But wow it is hard to make an NFL roster, tons of quality guys were cut and if you are injured in during training camp and preseason as a unproven player, your career can be over in seconds.  Take Aruna for the Vikings, missed all last year, now healthy but so behind the ball and did little to nothing when he did get his chance and now arguably his career will be over.  Or Sutton Smith a good rush edge for the Steelers, never got a shot was injured most of the preseason so he will not get on the PS and maybe get a shot next year and if that is a no go he is done for.

Yeah football needed the AAF badly, there are guys who have ability just do not have a chance to develop.  Maybe the XFL will work but the AAF had so many NFL ties, where the XFL I do not believe does which is a bad thing if one is looking at a minor league for the NFL, which is badly needed.

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah football needed the AAF badly, there are guys who have ability just do not have a chance to develop.  Maybe the XFL will work but the AAF had so many NFL ties, where the XFL I do not believe does which is a bad thing if one is looking at a minor league for the NFL, which is badly needed.

I think the XFL is going to exceed expectations this time around. Especially if they don’t do the stupid 3 year rule for college players. They didn’t rush things like the AAF did, have Oliver Luck running things, and generally seem to have a much better plan than the AAF did. 

They certainly can’t try to compete with the NFL, but if they have quality production value, and can put out a decent on-field product, I think they can carve out a niche. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  Getting damaged goods again I think kind of like Bailey, not good enough for the Browns but is for us.  And I feel Vedvik will have just a fine time as a Jet similar to Carlson now on the Raiders doing just fine.  

Marcus Sherels was cut by the Saints, curious if the Vikings would bring him back if they need a CB in the near future if someone goes down.  And Briean Boddy-Calhoun was cut, I always liked his ball skills as a corner but is lacking in some other areas, still has some experience and potential.  Derrick Baity Jr was cut as a CB, long lean guy who is fast, I liked him out of Kentucky no doubt, he would be of interest I feel.  Could argue he was easily one of the most talented CBs cut, Adonnis Alexander as well but he is a little more on the raw side of things but is a huge CB.

But wow it is hard to make an NFL roster, tons of quality guys were cut and if you are injured in during training camp and preseason as a unproven player, your career can be over in seconds.  Take Aruna for the Vikings, missed all last year, now healthy but so behind the ball and did little to nothing when he did get his chance and now arguably his career will be over.  Or Sutton Smith a good rush edge for the Steelers, never got a shot was injured most of the preseason so he will not get on the PS and maybe get a shot next year and if that is a no go he is done for.

FWIW I did do a little study on BBC, and something has changed since he came in. He’s so dang stiff and doesn’t move like he did. I wanted him out of the U, but now I almost have stuck in my head if he just looked that good for the Browns at the time. No way would I stick him in the slot right now and feel comfortable 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I think the XFL is going to exceed expectations this time around. Especially if they don’t do the stupid 3 year rule for college players. They didn’t rush things like the AAF did, have Oliver Luck running things, and generally seem to have a much better plan than the AAF did. 

They certainly can’t try to compete with the NFL, but if they have quality production value, and can put out a decent on-field product, I think they can carve out a niche. 

I only care about a minor league type system for the NFL and not sure the XFL can be that but will see.  I honestly do not know who Oliver Luck is.  But I know he is not Bill Polian, not even close to the same quality, Polian is amazing, much less  Mike Singletary, Mike Riley, Mike Martz, Rich Neuheisel, Dennis Erickson, Steve Spurrier or Kevin Coyle.  That was pretty legit group of former NFL guys with NFL ties in the AAF.  Great for the XFL that folded but on paper with those type of names and coaches that would have been a way better feeder league and development league for the NFL and the NFL needs something like that I feel.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

FWIW I did do a little study on BBC, and something has changed since he came in. He’s so dang stiff and doesn’t move like he did. I wanted him out of the U, but now I almost have stuck in my head if he just looked that good for the Browns at the time. No way would I stick him in the slot right now and feel comfortable 

Yeah maybe he has lost something athletically he had before I am not sure, early in his career he looked pretty good but possibly injuries have hurt him a lot.  Vikings did bring in Mark Fields at least so that helps, has blazing speed ran a 4.37 40 and was decent on Clemson but never great, gave up a 7th rounder for him which is a ton I would say for someone not proven and a UDFA.  But will see what he does, surprised they did that, they could have got someone like Baity or any other decent rookie corner with just money not giving up a 7th rounder to get him either since he was cut.

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I only care about a minor league type system for the NFL and not sure the XFL can be that but will see.  I honestly do not know who Oliver Luck is.  But I know he is not Bill Polian, not even close to the same quality, Polian is amazing, much less  Mike Singletary, Mike Riley, Mike Martz, Rich Neuheisel, Dennis Erickson, Steve Spurrier or Kevin Coyle.  That was pretty legit group of former NFL guys with NFL ties in the AAF.  Great for the XFL that folded but on paper with those type of names and coaches that would have been a way better feeder league and development league for the NFL and the NFL needs something like that I feel.

Oliver Luck is Andrew Luck's father, and a former NFL QB. More than that though, he was a former Director of Intercollegiate Athletes at WVU, and the president and GM of the Houston Dynamo of MLS. He's a very intelligent person and seems to have a very good mind for things like this. Furthermore, the XFL has financial backing that the AAF did not have. Vince McMahon is going to want this to succeed, since the first go around did not. He also already has major television contacts with the USA Network, Fox, and the ability to stream games on the WWE Network. 

As far as coaches, they have Bob Stoops, June Jones, Pep Hamilton, Marc Trestman, Jonathan Hayes, Kevin Gilbride, and Winston Moss. The coaching staffs will have many former NFL coaches. 

Perhaps the biggest thing the XFL has going for it is the fact that Vince McMahon isn't beholden to any NFL owners or structures. If he wants to throw 20 million at Trevor Lawrence to play for two years instead of playing for free in the NCAA, he can do it. Hell, he could toss a boatload of money to Andrew Luck (although I'm sure some contractual hurdles would likely come into play there). Simply put, there are far better things going for the XFL this go around than there were going for the AAF.  

31 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If he wants to throw 20 million at Trevor Lawrence to play for two years instead of playing for free in the NCAA, he can do it.

That’s about the only way that the XFL will work. 

The novelty of another football league will, again, where out if all fans get to watch is the Landry Jones’ of the world. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Oliver Luck is Andrew Luck's father, and a former NFL QB. More than that though, he was a former Director of Intercollegiate Athletes at WVU, and the president and GM of the Houston Dynamo of MLS. He's a very intelligent person and seems to have a very good mind for things like this. Furthermore, the XFL has financial backing that the AAF did not have. Vince McMahon is going to want this to succeed, since the first go around did not. He also already has major television contacts with the USA Network, Fox, and the ability to stream games on the WWE Network. 

As far as coaches, they have Bob Stoops, June Jones, Pep Hamilton, Marc Trestman, Jonathan Hayes, Kevin Gilbride, and Winston Moss. The coaching staffs will have many former NFL coaches. 

Perhaps the biggest thing the XFL has going for it is the fact that Vince McMahon isn't beholden to any NFL owners or structures. If he wants to throw 20 million at Trevor Lawrence to play for two years instead of playing for free in the NCAA, he can do it. Hell, he could toss a boatload of money to Andrew Luck (although I'm sure some contractual hurdles would likely come into play there). Simply put, there are far better things going for the XFL this go around than there were going for the AAF.  

Good for Andrew Luck's dad, sure he is smart and whatever.  But Vince McMahon I have heard is awful with the wrestlers he deals with, they have crap health insurance apparently long term and uses them up physically the throws them away the second they cannot perform.  Maybe he has changed but John Oliver did a great piece about the history of him and how he treats his wrestlers and the problems with it, if he runs the XFL like that and treats the players like he treats his wrestlers they could have a big problem.  The guy wants it to work, dreams of getting into football and I believe he even wanted to get into the NFL at one point or something along those lines.

Sure Vince McMahon knows how to make money, and Bob Stoops is a decent name but obviously a college name, and non of those other guys stand out to me like Bill Polian who is in the Hall of Fame, and so is Mike Singletary.  Bill Polian has such respect in the NFL community, not sure any of those guys currently with the XFL are even close to being as high up in terms of respect with the NFL as Bill Polian is.  

And if any athlete out of high school goes and plays in the XFL and thinks that is going to prep them for a great pro career, they are freaking full of it.  Look at the NBA, how many players have went over seas out of high school and became great pros?  Brandon Jennings, Emmanuel Mudiay and Jeremy Tyler come to mind, and none outside of Jennings have done much and even Jennings career is basically over now already.  XFL is not over seas but is similar for a young kid to go play against older adults in a lower grade league and think that is going to improve them.  At least the NBA has the G league, NFL has nothing like that which sucks about not having the AAF.