Training Camp 2019 News & Updates

TwoUpTwoDown

15 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Big V and a 2nd for Clowney. Go all in this year. See if we can shed some veteran dollars next year, resign him. Or franchise and flip him for a first or so. Easy. 

That, I'd go for, but I already pitched that idea + a conditional 4th/5th and @ET80 wasn't aboard.

24 minutes ago, Danger said:

That, I'd go for, but I already pitched that idea + a conditional 4th/5th and @ET80 wasn't aboard.

It's not great value for his talent, but the fact he's holding out and we can't have a guarantee that we extend him....could be discounted.

I think if they had a GM an efficient conditional trade could work out

Base it on if we resign him or production. Like if he has 15 sacks or we can resign him it's one thing, if it's neither it's another.

Trading a star player of our own is a no.
We are trying to add talent, not lose it.

4 hours ago, Danger said:

He's a good candidate for PS this season, contend for a roster spot next year at G IMO.

I highly doubt we're going to be using a 6'6" dude as a guard but I agree he'll be a good practice squad guy and maybe he can crack the roster if Peters retires and/or if Big V moves on as an FA next year.

26 minutes ago, Kiltman said:
58 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's not great value for his talent, but the fact he's holding out and we can't have a guarantee that we extend him....could be discounted.

I think if they had a GM an efficient conditional trade could work out

Base it on if we resign him or production. Like if he has 15 sacks or we can resign him it's one thing, if it's neither it's another.

Trading a star player of our own is a no.
We are trying to add talent, not lose it.

I forget if I had that conversation on here or not but while I think it would be awesome as an "All in move" this season, I really think that it would severely hurt us cap wise and in future years. As we stand right now with all of our cap space to roll over we'll have another "free" year of Carson and minus Peters contract we'll be set with cap space and the ability to contend, with Clowney we're really putting all of our eggs in that 2019 basket.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Yeah - we have an entire depth chart full of project OL, we don't need any more. If Clowney is the guy we're moving, it's for an immediate starter at LT, plus a pick.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I forget if I had that conversation on here or not but while I think it would be awesome as an "All in move" this season, I really think that it would severely hurt us cap wise and in future years. As we stand right now with all of our cap space to roll over we'll have another "free" year of Carson and minus Peters contract we'll be set with cap space and the ability to contend, with Clowney we're really putting all of our eggs in that 2019 basket.

I agree, not trading for Clowney would allow us to give Malcolm a deserved bump in pay and carry over the rest to next year.

There could be a couple blue chip guys next year, it's too bad Yannick Ngakoue would be getting tagged next year...because I think he's a better scheme and culture fit.

When Clowney hits the market next year we could make a play for him then too, while retaining our 1st or 2nd and getting whatever else we could get for Big V.
Which honestly with how line play is league wide could actually net up to a 3rd (best case). 

We have enough to win it all this year, but it's fun to explore it at least

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah - we have an entire depth chart full of project OL, we don't need any more. If Clowney is the guy we're moving, it's for an immediate starter at LT, plus a pick.

Vaitai isn't really a project Olineman though, he can be a solid starter, especially for a team who might run more than we do (which is most teams)
His biggest issue is when coming off the bench, he doesn't seem able to "pinch hit" very well.

Whether that's because he doesn't put the effort in when he's slated not to play, or because he's like a volume runningback...hard to fully say.

He's probably the only starting quality tackle, that isn't 30+ years old, that can be had this time of year.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

He's probably the only starting quality tackle, that isn't 30+ years old, that can be had this time of year.

The name most mentioned here in Houston has been Miami LT Larmey Tunsil - there was a "rejected" trade by Clowney that would have sent him to Miami in exchange for Tunsil:

https://torotimes.com/2019/08/13/houston-texans-jadeveon-clowney-and-trade-rumors/

(Clowney rejected the deal by not agreeing to sign his franchise tender - he holds the direction in this whole situation, and can simply choose to not sign. He can't negotiate a long term deal with anyone, so many speculate he'd want some sort of "handshake" deal in place before he agrees to any move).

In short - that's the sort of player that would be needed in return. An immediate starter with top 10 T potential, like Tunsil. Picks might be nice to sweeten the pot, but the actual T offered needs to be more than a solid starter, it needs to be someone who turns the spot into a position of strength for the next 3-6 years (if not longer).

58 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The name most mentioned here in Houston has been Miami LT Larmey Tunsil - there was a "rejected" trade by Clowney that would have sent him to Miami in exchange for Tunsil:

https://torotimes.com/2019/08/13/houston-texans-jadeveon-clowney-and-trade-rumors/

(Clowney rejected the deal by not agreeing to sign his franchise tender - he holds the direction in this whole situation, and can simply choose to not sign. He can't negotiate a long term deal with anyone, so many speculate he'd want some sort of "handshake" deal in place before he agrees to any move).

In short - that's the sort of player that would be needed in return. An immediate starter with top 10 T potential, like Tunsil. Picks might be nice to sweeten the pot, but the actual T offered needs to be more than a solid starter, it needs to be someone who turns the spot into a position of strength for the next 3-6 years (if not longer).

would they just be fine with getting nothing for him? than underselling him?

24 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

would they just be fine with getting nothing for him? than underselling him?

"Getting nothing" for him is vastly overstated - he's going to play this season, and the Texans have ample cap room to tag him again next season (if it comes down to that) and the season after THAT, so he's not going anywhere unless he tries a Lev Bell (which - with his track record stemming back to SC - would only further tank his value). So at the least, the Texans will have a pretty good-to-great OLB at their disposal. 

Pretty much to a person - that's what Texans' fans want. Let him play out this tag, and then tag him again next off-season; If he plays great and stays healthy, negotiate a longer term deal for him, much like how Dallas handled DeMarcus Lawrence. If he doesn't perform well, then you trade him, or try to sign him to a long term deal that's priced in the Texans' favor. If nothing else comes of it - another year on the tag, then tag him AGAIN for the 2021 season. Right now, the Texans have upwards of $45mm in cap space, long term deals for JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson with three years on his rookie deal - so that's the "drop dead" point on the Jadevion Clowney saga, three years from now. Realistically, Clowney isn't going to be an unrestricted FA until 2022 (unless the CBA is update to restrict the use of the tag, something owners will probably fight pretty fiercely over).

Very few of us Texans' fans want to trade Clowney. It doesn't mean that we're not going to explore potential options, but there's no urgency to do anything other than wait it out for the right T, not just A T.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

clowney is only worth like a second though. 1 Season of play and a third comp pick a year later.

But anyway its a moot point I keep hearing the eagles dont think he's a culture fit. he must have had a bad pre draft interview with Howie.

Edited by ninjapirate

At some point if the Texans are truly going to trade Clowney, they need to pull the trigger. Even if it's taking a Antonio Brown type hit in value. What's the point of intentionally holding onto a player you have no intentions of signing long term?

How long can you realistically wait before adding a player or two via trade? Any LT you add , will have a massive learning curve. Schematically,  Technique,  Terminology ect... You really think that needs to occur, mid season? First month of the season?

Sooner this gets resolved the better for all parties IMO. Regardless of price. If for some reason Clowney us holding the Texans hostage by not signing or talking with clubs, Find out his wishlist of teams and ship his A$$ that way for whatever the compensation you can get the most from that list. Ala Pittsburgh with AB. 

Value sucked! But had to be done!