NFCN Rivals - Packers Thread

dll2000

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Flip side is Terrell Suggs who was highly productive in college, but thought not to be fast enough so he fell further than he should have.  Dwight Freeney fell a bit too, but he tested well so I don't remember why he slipped.

I believe with both Freeney and Dumervil it was because both lack prototypical size and with Suggs it was a slow 40.

Freeney at 6'1" and around 265lbs was somewhat undersized for a DE but he ran a ridiculous 40 at the Combine and all of a sudden made a huge leap up some teams draft boards.  But he didn't slip much.  He went 11th overall and it paid off.

Dumervil was much smaller yet, 5'11"/250lbs and he did fall to the 4th round despite being a terror in college breaking some of Freeney's records.

Suggs was another terror in college but if his Combine hurt him it didn't hurt him that much.  He dropped out of the top 5 but still went at #10 overall.

I still subscribe to the thinking that top college rushers have the best shot at becoming very good pro pass rushers.  There's an art to it that in at least some cases surpasses sheer physical size or athletic ability.  Still, drafting one can be a real crap shoot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soulman said:

I'm leaving this little discussion as well by saying Gary will be what Gary will be.  He may become a super stud or he may become a bust or something in between but he's not on my team so I don't really care all that much one way or another.  All I really care about as far as GB is concerned is that for a change we beat them twice this year.  That's been a long time coming and I want to enjoy it.

I thunk there will a bunch of Green Bay fans (Tundrans you said, right? :D) who end up agreeing with me that the Gary pick should have been an O-lineman. Maybe even after the first game. CWood21 called that opinion out, as he said any draft pick there would be an immediate backup. I dunno about that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I thunk there will a bunch of Green Bay fans (Tundrans you said, right? :D) who end up agreeing with me that the Gary pick should have been an O-lineman. Maybe even after the first game. CWood21 called that opinion out, as he said any draft pick there would be an immediate backup. I dunno about that...

LOL.....yeah, Tundrans, Tundrites, Tundranians, and Tundrahoovians.  Take your pic.  ;)

But you may notice that most seem to speak exactly the same language in an accent tinged with arrogance. 9_9

I really don't care all that much how Gary does but I did think he was an odd pick where they took him.

• Like 1

Just in case Mr. CWood was fibbing and does return after all I'll leave this here for him with a note.

Mobile?  Yes, he's very mobile.

Running wild

Trubisky was one of the best rushing quarterbacks in the league last season. Known for his athleticism at North Carolina, he has done a lot of damage with his legs in the NFL.

In 2018, Trubisky ranked fifth among quarterbacks with 421 rushing yards. He was extremely efficient, averaging 7.7 yards per attempt when excluding kneels. That ranked second in the league among players at any position who had at least 50 rushing attempts, behind only Russell Wilson (who edges Trubisky’s average by 0.02 yards per attempt).

Not only did Trubisky pick up a lot of yardage as a rusher, but he was highly effective at moving the chains as well. He picked up 31 rushing first downs, fifth among NFL quarterbacks. Accumulating those on only 56 non-kneel rush attempts, Trubisky registered a highly impressive rushing first-down rate of 55.3 percent, best in the league among players with at least 50 rushes.

At the 2017 Draft Combine, Trubisky showcased the athleticism he has used to become one of the league’s most dangerous quarterbacks on the move. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.67 seconds, an 83rd-percentile mark among quarterbacks, and posted a three-cone time of 6.87 seconds, good enough for the 85th percentile at the position.

In a Week 7 loss to the Patriots last season, Trubisky excelled with his legs, rushing for 81 yards and five first downs. One of those runs was a 39-yard pickup, his biggest rushing gain of the season. He is a remarkably good scrambler, and perhaps no play demonstrates that more so than the one seen below.

Trubisky escapes the pocket with enough burst to escape the rusher charging from behind. After picking up chunks of yardage with his speed, he dodges two tacklers with a pair of slick jukes. He then patiently works his way down the field, resembling a punt returner as he allows his teammates time to enter the play and make key blocks. With the help of tremendous blocking from his skill-position players (Jordan Howard and Trey Burton in particular), Trubisky rumbles all the way to the one-yard line.

13 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I think this video does a much better job of showing off Mitch's mobility:

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/trubisky-avoids-sack-finds-shaheen

I wanted to post that one to counter CWoods maneuver around the mobility claim by trying to frame it differently saying he was talking about Mitch not being a great runner. 

That wasn't just a scramble and a pass that was his longest run of the year and it refutes what CWood wanted to claim as do the stats I posted.  He may not run as often as a few others, and I hope it remains that way, but when he does he's not only shows some speed but also some ability to avoid tackles.

Maybe Lamar Jackson is forced to run more.  Mitch is not.

28 minutes ago, soulman said:

I wanted to post that one to counter CWoods maneuver around the mobility claim by trying to frame it differently saying he was talking about Mitch not being a great runner. 

That wasn't just a scramble and a pass that was his longest run of the year and it refutes what CWood wanted to claim as do the stats I posted.  He may not run as often as a few others, and I hope it remains that way, but when he does he's not only shows some speed but also some ability to avoid tackles.

Maybe Lamar Jackson is forced to run more.  Mitch is not.

;) I had a different motive

Edited by dafreak
  • Like 2