The WR battle of 2019

gopherwrestler

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Laquon comes across as a guy who never had to work at being the top option on the field. Before the NFL, he’s always been the de facto WR1 where ever he’s been. And I don’t think he knows how to handle not being the guy. 

Unfortunately, I don’t think he’s ever fully recovered from that horrific injury in college. I believe that the Vikings took a gamble the the further way he got from the injury, the more explosion and quickness he’d regain. But that hasn’t seemed to have happened. 

I think Treadwell’s only chance at recovering any type of career to to develop and embrace a roll as a big bodied, chains moving possession receiver. Similar to what Kenny Britt did after his multiple injuries. 

He is only 24 years old, the youngest non-rookie receiver on the team, so the light could still come on. But I think this training camp and preseason will be the last shot for him in purple. 

Injury?  That was his sophomore year if I remember correct and the year after he had the best season of his college career, most yards, catches and TDs, even passed for 134 yards and 1 TD as well on trick plays.  So not sure he was that altered by it since he played so well after it.  Has he been really injured in the NFL, pathetically he has played so briefly especially as a rookie not much physically has gone wrong with him honestly.  

I agree he needs to be that big body WR who can catch in traffic and most importantly catch contested red zone TDs.  He has a chance this year because they do need a guy to be that bigger WR and make some plays but it is a long shot.

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Assistants can't get together with the players any time during the offseason (which is often when players do a lot of their development, such as working on route running).  Now, it's his failure if he doesn't get together with Diggs and Thielen during the offseason and work on things like that, but the assistants can't sit there and constantly coach a guy during the OTAs and training camp, because they have lots of guys to coach, not just him.  

I just don't buy that, they have not only the off season but the regular season, all week long to work on individual player progression.  No way a player does not develop as the season goes on and only in the off season can do so.  Now his willingness to take the coaching is another matter possibly.  But if he is indeed a good worker which Zimmer said he was, I do not see what the problem is then with coaching him correctly so it can translate to the field more.  Michael Thomas for example is amazing on the Saints but he is also a product of the system he is in and who is around him, having Drew Brees helps but also the support of an offensive coach like Sean Payton.  Would have been really curious if Treadwell ended up with the Saints what would he be like for them.  

Thomas has just exploded in the NFL, never had over 800 yards in college receiving or 60 catches in a season, but did workout well at the combine for his massive size.  Was an underachiever at Ohio State but also did not have the best QB in the world either to work with.  Not sure anyone would have predicted what a monster he has become in the NFL but again helps being in that system that uses big body WRs that do not always rely on speed to get open.  Take Colston, Joe Horn, Meachem, Jimmy Graham etc.

I don't think Treadwell has any sort of motivation issue.  When Zim says he needs to get out of his own way and running bleacher steps, I think he is putting in work but going about it the wrong way.   He may be an over thinker too.

I had listened to a podcast from Luke Braun who attended practices last week and said the WRs behind Diggs and Theilen look awful.  Are there any names available or waiver wire guys to watch for after cuts?

58 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I don't think Treadwell has any sort of motivation issue.  When Zim says he needs to get out of his own way and running bleacher steps, I think he is putting in work but going about it the wrong way.   He may be an over thinker too.

I had listened to a podcast from Luke Braun who attended practices last week and said the WRs behind Diggs and Theilen look awful.  Are there any names available or waiver wire guys to watch for after cuts?

Yeah that happens when the WRs they drafted in the 7th round are not even better than many of the UDFA WR signed by other teams.  The depth looks bad, hopefully they can turn it around but honestly WR is not a massive need for the team honestly compared to say CB which they kind of addressed kind of did not.

I doubt Beebe is looking awful, that kid can play the slot and if Treadwell, Taylor and Zylstra do not pan out he will.  The Vikings have little to no money to go sign free agent receivers I feel but who knows.  

There are guys out there, Baldwin I believe retired but you never know with that.  Shocked Crabtree is already out of the league but makes sense after that stuff he did a few years back on the sideline, he will find somewhere.  Would love Benjamin and see what he can do as a big body WR but does not really fit the system and again we have no real money, kid was damn good early in his career and still has a ton of potential I think.  

Doug Baldwin
Michael Crabtree
Kelvin Benjamin
Darrius Heyward-Bey
Brandon LaFell
Mike Wallace
Martavis Bryant
Justin Hunter
Dez Bryant
Rashad Greene

If Treadwell is as bad as some say then why not cut him and use that money to sign someone else?  I bet they stick it out with him this year if he is doing decent in camp and is better than bringing a guy in that does not know the system, plays or coaches.  

38 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

WR depth chart, re;eased today by Vikings:

Wide receiver:

19 Adam Thielen

12 Chad Beebe

11 Laquon Treadwell

15 Brandon Zylstra

81 Bisi Johnson

16 Davion Davis

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-release-1st-unofficial-depth-chart-of-the-2019-season

i guess Diggs has been dumped.

umm.... you didn't post half the receivers...

Seems like the Vikes have enough bodies who can play in the slot. Where the Vikes really lack depth is at the boundary. Taylor is okay, but probably a #5 at best. I have no faith in Treadwell or Zylstra. I do like Mitchell's skill set as a deep threat, but best case, maybe he's Aldrick Robinson as a rookie. Can't count on a 7th round rookie WR. If only Treadwell wasn't such an awful player the depth wouldn't look so dire. 

I don't think there are any veterans that can fill the void. 

15 hours ago, NoDakViking said:

Who is Luke Braun and why should I care about his opinion?  

Either way, I'm pretty sure that Treadwell is no longer just running bleacher steps...that was from a year or 2 ago.  But, I still do get that Cordarrelle vibe from him nonetheless.  You know...I need to work on my route running, but instead I'm going to go work with a conditioning coach.  I'm still flabbergasted by that one.  

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Who is Luke Braun and why should I care about his opinion?  

Either way, I'm pretty sure that Treadwell is no longer just running bleacher steps...that was from a year or 2 ago.  But, I still do get that Cordarrelle vibe from him nonetheless.  You know...I need to work on my route running, but instead I'm going to go work with a conditioning coach.  I'm still flabbergasted by that one.  

Treadwell is just a bad player. He doesn't have the athleticism to create seperation and his supposed top strengths coming out, hands and size, just aren't used to his advantage. He's just a bust from a skill set standpoint, not sure hard work will fix his issues. His confidence is surely shattered.

• Like 2