Redskins vs Browns Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 1 (8/8/19)

MKnight82

Also, I couldn’t possibly care less about the starters not playing a few token snaps in this game. I wish Gruden played his starters a little deeper into the game in preseason Weeks 2 and 3, but I don’t want these guys exposed to injury anymore than they have to be. 

I don’t buy the “not ready for Week One” thing. They dominated Arizona on both sides of the ball in Week 1 last year. And the previous season, they were leading the eventual SB champs at the two minute warning in Week 1. That’s consecutive very strong opening day showings (better than they were the rest of the season), so I’m not sure how anyone could reasonably conclude that they’ve been unready for the season. 

Balanced against that (possibly baseless) concern is the fact that Gruden has had consecutive seasons totally decimated by major injuries to major players. That he’s saddled with what the posters on this forum unanimously agree is the worst training/conditioning/medical staff in the sport (maybe all sports, maybe of all time). That many of the players sitting out, especially on offense, are notably injury prone and fragile (Reed, Thompson, Richardson, Moses, Scherff, etc). And that just last season, he saw a potential young star RB (and 25% of his cheap rookie contract) go up in smoke on an utterly meaningless Week 1 preseason carry. 

There’s more to lose in early preseason games than there is to gain. If he put the starters out there for a quick token series, it wouldn’t bother me. But it really doesn’t bother me that he chooses not to do that either. 

• Like 2