GDT #1: Titans at Eagles, Thursday, 6:30 p.m.

titans0021

7 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

This isn’t it . He passes every test so far including the eye test . 

I had my reservations about Baker coming in, I thought Browns goofed passing on Darnold  but after last year I think the guy has a better chance at being a star then not . I can’t stand the guy , I think he’s a major tool and his ego is one of the biggest I’ve ever seen, but even with all that I would love it if we had him as our QB. I’m not usually one to crown rookie QBs because you don’t really know if there a franchise guy until they have a few successful years under there belt . However sometimes you can just tell if someone has that “it” factor and Baker has that. If I’m wrong I’ll be the first to admit it , but from what we’ve seen so far the guys anything but average. I mean the guy threw more tds in 14 games last year then Mariota has the last two seasons lol. Baker also threw more tds last year and passed for more yards yards then Mariota has ever done in a season so far (including his best year in 2016). 

Baker is good. He's got obj and landry. We got a damn good defense so good thing this is a team sport. Healthy Marcus is no joke either. And we do have Henry which everyone has seemed to forget about. Idk I think it will be a great game 

6 hours ago, VY-FTW said:

Baker is good. He's got obj and landry. We got a damn good defense so good thing this is a team sport. Healthy Marcus is no joke either. And we do have Henry which everyone has seemed to forget about. Idk I think it will be a great game 

O , I said nothing about it being a bad game . I think we match up fairly well with them and to be honest I don’t think the Browns are going to be as good as what people are saying this year. I think they will be better (9-7 or 10-6 type season) but I don’t think there contenders just yet . This being said our defense is going to have to play really well in order to beat them , they have weapons all over the field and they have a QB who will get them the ball. If this game becomes a shoot out then the Titans have zero chance because I just don’t believe Mariota can keep up the scoring with that Cleveland offense . If this game is 21-17 or 24-21 then I think we have a really good shot at pulling off the win, it won’t be easy though. That offense is scary good on paper and with The addition of Odell the sky really is the limit for that team. 

Lastly , I don’t think anyone has forgot about Henry (how could we After the last month of the season he had) however I’m not crowning him just yet . I’m a big Henry fan , and I get the coaches the last few years didn’t use him right, but I can’t put him as a guarantee until I see a bit more from him. The man had one outstanding month and people are all over him, I’m not falling for  it until I see some consistency, i didnt forgot the first 12 games of last year . 

Like I said this game is going to come to Adoreee VS OBJ, meaning if we have to double OBJ & allow him dictate coverage it will open up the Browns underneath passing attack. The Browns have weapons at TE slot receiver & a RB that is a threat. Us playing the Browns will be like us playing the Texans when they had will fuller the early on in the season. Fuller was working Adoree & Hopkins was getting his as well & that open up the run game. Being able to cover 1 man without double coverage will help us put a spy on baker 

Mayfield is getting the same praise that Watson, Carr, Winston, Newton, RG3, and even Mariota got in their first two years. And those are just guys from recent memory.

It's important to remember just how often things of this nature are said about young QBs and how often they are still believed to be true going into their second contract. 

15 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Mayfield is getting the same praise that Watson, Carr, Winston, Newton, RG3, and even Mariota got in their first two years. And those are just guys from recent memory.

It's important to remember just how often things of this nature are said about young QBs and how often they are still believed to be true going into their second contract. 

Yes. Lets list some names.

Mark Sanchez ( The Sanchize) going to AFC championship games...
Vince Young Rookie of the Year. we know how that ended
Josh Freeman 4,000 yard passer.....
Sam Bradford....Injuries
Colin Kappernick....reasons.
Andy Dalton...Never improved
Cam Newton..Can debate if he ever has gotten better in the league. Good QB, but not top 5.
Robert Griffin. Rookie of the Year. Hotter than fish grease....now.....backup to Lamar Freaking Jackson.
Ryan Tannehill....4,000 yard passer consistently, now backup to who... Marcus Mariota.
Kirk Cousins...Good QB but I still recall the praise he was getting being the "backup" to RG3.
Derek Carr..Was prasied for being the future in the league. Top 10 QB. Now trade rumors swirl yearly with him.
Teddy Bridgewater. Everyone seemingly loves Teddy but nobody wants him as their starter.
Winston and Mariota...we know their stories going on now.
Jared Goff even took some flack last year about if he was really that good.

We shall see what this year brings with Mayfield, Darnold, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. We already see what happened to Josh Rosen. Didn't even last more than a year as a starter.

The media and even fans praise these QBs for making throws and plays and then will hate on those same throws and plays in year 3 and 4. Why? Because they haven't turned into Manning or Brady?

The last ten years the draft has produced only 2 without question generational franchise QBs. Luck and Russell Wilson. (in my opinion) and that was the same year.
One potential Generational guy in Mahomes, need to see it more than once.

You got good QBs like Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Winston, Mariota. 

But the odds are when you draft a guy, you are getting an average to terrible QB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Watson is a franchise QB . Acl tear or not the guy is a stud and will continue to give the Titans problems for the next decade . 

Winston - after his rookie year he wasn’t getting praised . If anything Bucs we’re getting crapped on for taking Mariota over him.  

Mariota and Carr both looked great there rookie years.  Hell they both looked great there second years. However both broke there fibulas on the same day and neither have looked good since . I’d be willing to bet both there careers would be different if they never broke there legs in 2016. 

Rg3 - was literally playing on a torn acl in the playoffs his rookie year , which made him miss the next season . He never returned to form . 

Vince young - Mental issues , not so much his play held him back . If you recall he won twice as many games as he lost. 

Now as as far as Baker is concerned there is zero reason barring injury he will take a step back . All the guys you named above have either been hurt , or suspended playing a big part in there downward spiral. Unless Mayfield gets hurt I wouldn’t bet against him to take a step back . I get the point your trying to make but I think your examples are bad , all those guys suffered a major injury at some point which derailed there careers. Not saying it won’t happen to Mayfield but I’m not gonna bet on it . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yes. Lets list some names.

Mark Sanchez ( The Sanchize) going to AFC championship games...
Vince Young Rookie of the Year. we know how that ended
Josh Freeman 4,000 yard passer.....
Sam Bradford....Injuries
Colin Kappernick....reasons.
Andy Dalton...Never improved
Cam Newton..Can debate if he ever has gotten better in the league. Good QB, but not top 5.
Robert Griffin. Rookie of the Year. Hotter than fish grease....now.....backup to Lamar Freaking Jackson.
Ryan Tannehill....4,000 yard passer consistently, now backup to who... Marcus Mariota.
Kirk Cousins...Good QB but I still recall the praise he was getting being the "backup" to RG3.
Derek Carr..Was prasied for being the future in the league. Top 10 QB. Now trade rumors swirl yearly with him.
Teddy Bridgewater. Everyone seemingly loves Teddy but nobody wants him as their starter.
Winston and Mariota...we know their stories going on now.
Jared Goff even took some flack last year about if he was really that good.

We shall see what this year brings with Mayfield, Darnold, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen. We already see what happened to Josh Rosen. Didn't even last more than a year as a starter.

The media and even fans praise these QBs for making throws and plays and then will hate on those same throws and plays in year 3 and 4. Why? Because they haven't turned into Manning or Brady?

The last ten years the draft has produced only 2 without question generational franchise QBs. Luck and Russell Wilson. (in my opinion) and that was the same year.
One potential Generational guy in Mahomes, need to see it more than once.

You got good QBs like Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Winston, Mariota. 

But the odds are when you draft a guy, you are getting an average to terrible QB. 

I remember an article that came out after Sanchez's rookie season tearing into the Lions for not drafting him over Stafford.

Baker looks like he's going to be a very good quarterback, as do a lot of young QBs in the league, as yall have rightly pointed out.  Of last year's rookies, both he and Darnold looked the most promising, but yeah, it's likely only one of them will end up a good to great QB, if either do.  That's why I'm not sold on Mahomes being as good as he looks right now either.  He's had one season, and that can mean very little.  I'm not crowning Mayfield yet at all, but I'm also not gonna write him off, he could turn the Browns into a very good team.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I remember an article that came out after Sanchez's rookie season tearing into the Lions for not drafting him over Stafford.

Baker looks like he's going to be a very good quarterback, as do a lot of young QBs in the league, as yall have rightly pointed out.  Of last year's rookies, both he and Darnold looked the most promising, but yeah, it's likely only one of them will end up a good to great QB, if either do.  That's why I'm not sold on Mahomes being as good as he looks right now either.  He's had one season, and that can mean very little.  I'm not crowning Mayfield yet at all, but I'm also not gonna write him off, he could turn the Browns into a very good team.

Yeah, I think Baker has shown he can be a game-changing QB. That alone is worth holding on to him for the next 5 years. How good he will be, I'll be interested to see.

I just think it's funny how some media members are just wanting to have a hot take and say he will without a doubt be great. It's like they ignore all NFL history of flash in the pan QBs. 

4 hours ago, FutureIsWhite said:

Watson is a franchise QB . Acl tear or not the guy is a stud and will continue to give the Titans problems for the next decade . 

Winston - after his rookie year he wasn’t getting praised . If anything Bucs we’re getting crapped on for taking Mariota over him.  

Mariota and Carr both looked great there rookie years.  Hell they both looked great there second years. However both broke there fibulas on the same day and neither have looked good since . I’d be willing to bet both there careers would be different if they never broke there legs in 2016. 

Rg3 - was literally playing on a torn acl in the playoffs his rookie year , which made him miss the next season . He never returned to form . 

Vince young - Mental issues , not so much his play held him back . If you recall he won twice as many games as he lost. 

Now as as far as Baker is concerned there is zero reason barring injury he will take a step back . All the guys you named above have either been hurt , or suspended playing a big part in there downward spiral. Unless Mayfield gets hurt I wouldn’t bet against him to take a step back . I get the point your trying to make but I think your examples are bad , all those guys suffered a major injury at some point which derailed there careers. Not saying it won’t happen to Mayfield but I’m not gonna bet on it . 

Most football players get injured at some point or another. What QB hasn't? That's poor reasoning. Even Brady and P. Manning lost entire seasons.

I know the rules ate making it easier on QBs, but it's unrealistic to expect a player to never be injured.

We'll see what the opinion on Watson is in 3 years. That's my point exactly.

To be clear, I don't think he will be a bad QB. I'm saying I don't believe he will be the superstar player on the field he's being made out to be my some. 

Edited by TitanSS

So why you don’t think he’ll be a superstar QB ok curious 🤔. To me he has all the intangibles, what you can’t coach, he’s a winner his personality is infectious & though he’s cocky he bags it up & can make every throw & fit into tight windows. Only thing I see negative about bakers play is that at times he plays reckless, like Bret Favre gun slinger mentality but his decision making will get better as he continues to mature. 

30 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

So why you don’t think he’ll be a superstar QB ok curious 🤔. To me he has all the intangibles, what you can’t coach, he’s a winner his personality is infectious & though he’s cocky he bags it up & can make every throw & fit into tight windows. Only thing I see negative about bakers play is that at times he plays reckless, like Bret Favre gun slinger mentality but his decision making will get better as he continues to mature. 

This 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Baker sucked vs like every good team he played last year.

People need to slow their roll on proclaiming everything.

Baker has talent and could end up great, but there's nothing concrete yet. Give a QB at least two full seasons before forming any kind of opinion on them.

Looked at some the highlights and a good number were with them trailing. 

I'm also curious to see if some of those wild throws don't end up as interceptions. He completed a lot of contested throws.  

Curious to see how be does with DC's having a year to study him. 

From the outside looking in, it looked like he had a good number of first read throws.