Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Good lord are you serious? I’m not in the Clowney business at all but my god that seems like we’d be getting ripped off lol

Dude they don’t want to pay Trent but what kind of money do you think Clowney wants!!!! I love Trent and I’d love to get Trent back but honestly this team is getting younger and talented. He either wants to be here and have a shot with the youth or he doesn’t. I’m not giving him away for nothing though!!! And I’m not giving him up for a player who’s gonna want probably something close to a Haynesworth deal

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Good lord are you serious? I’m not in the Clowney business at all but my god that seems like we’d be getting ripped off lol

How are we getting ripped off?

We’d be getting a pro bowl OLB who is 5 years younger than our pro bowl OLB and who plays ROLB, not LOLB.

Clowney for TWill is pretty much an equal trade given their ages.

Kerrigan = 2nd 

Peterson = 4th

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Dude they don’t want to pay Trent but what kind of money do you think Clowney wants!!!! I love Trent and I’d love to get Trent back but honestly this team is getting younger and talented. He either wants to be here and have a shot with the youth or he doesn’t. I’m not giving him away for nothing though!!! And I’m not giving him up for a player who’s gonna want probably something close to a Haynesworth deal

The difference between Trent & Clowney is obvious, Clowney is 5 years younger and Trent already has a contract for two more years on a contract that pays him top 10 at his position.

Obviously, we wouldn't be giving Trent away for anything. Wed be getting back a pro bowl 26-year-old OLB in his prime who's coming off back to back 9 & 9.5 sack seasons.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

How are we getting ripped off?

We’d be getting a pro bowl OLB who is 5 years younger than our pro bowl OLB and who plays ROLB, not LOLB.

Clowney for TWill is pretty much an equal trade given their ages.

Kerrigan = 2nd 

Peterson = 4th

How is Trent Williams for Clowney an equal trade? One is a much better player than the other. I’d rather just send TWill to the Texans for a first which if I was them I’d absolutely do but will most likely happen is Bruce will send Guice and Williams to the Texans for Clowney. 

I don't want clowney...

I would rather trade Trent for 1st Rd pick or an established true #1 WR.

I love our Defense already

I love our Running backs & TE's

I'm concerned with our young wr's, with an O-line without Trent.

A 1st Rd pick could get us an OT next draft, or a stud pro bowl wr could make it easier for our QB's this season.

Personally....with Bengals rookie 1st Rd LT tackle Jonah Williams out for the season.

And A.J. Green dinged up at the moment...but coming back.

I would offer Trent Williams for A.J. Green straight across.

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How is Trent Williams for Clowney an equal trade? One is a much better player than the other. I’d rather just send TWill to the Texans for a first which if I was them I’d absolutely do but will most likely happen is Bruce will send Guice and Williams to the Texans for Clowney. 

In all honesty, I haven’t watched enough of Clowney to speak authoritatively on this, but both PFF and the players’ Top 100 rankings have Clowney rated substantially ahead of Trent. And obviously he’s much younger. I think most would consider that to be a pretty swap, value wise. Particularly since the big drawback with Clowney is that you’d have to give him a big extension if you traded for him — but it appears the same is true of Trent as well. 

With some more time to think about that trade, I think Kerrigan’s value would be higher than a low 2nd though. 37 sacks in the last 3 years ranks 4th in the NFL, and 60 sacks in the last 5 years ranks 2nd (behind only Von Miller’s 63). I don’t care if they’re not exciting sacks, 60 sacks is 60 sacks. I’d need another pick beyond a late 2nd to move Kerrigan. 

Peterson’s value simply cannot be a 4th. I don’t care what ridiculous amount the Texans just gave up for Duke F. Johnson, it can’t be a 4th. I wouldn’t have ever given him the contract the Redskins gave him — let alone give up a valuable pick for the opportunity to pay him the contract. 

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I just told you why. For one, Clowney is 5 years younger. Two, your undervaluing the impact Clowney can have on a defense. He's a great run defender and very good pass rusher. He’ll make even more plays next to Allen as Allen with draw the double team's.

And, I'm not sure why but most fans underrated how hard it is to get sacks vs good to great LTs in the NFL. 

People did this with Rak when he was here, and possibly we finally replaced him - after 4 tries - with the drafting of Sweat but that's TBD.

Sweat can play on the left side where Kerrigan currently is. MSU moved Sweat around as he played both LDE & RDE so, he's comfortable on both sides.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

In all honesty, I haven’t watched enough of Clowney to speak authoritatively on this, but both PFF and the players’ Top 100 rankings have Clowney rated substantially ahead of Trent. And obviously he’s much younger. I think most would consider that to be a pretty swap, value wise. Particularly since the big drawback with Clowney is that you’d have to give him a big extension if you traded for him — but it appears the same is true of Trent as well. 

With some more time to think about that trade, I think Kerrigan’s value would be higher than a low 2nd though. 37 sacks in the last 3 years ranks 4th in the NFL, and 60 sacks in the last 5 years ranks 2nd (behind only Von Miller’s 63). I don’t care if they’re not exciting sacks, 60 sacks is 60 sacks. I’d need another pick beyond a late 2nd to move Kerrigan. 

Peterson’s value simply cannot be a 4th. I don’t care what ridiculous amount the Texans just gave up for Duke F. Johnson, it can’t be a 4th. I wouldn’t have ever given him the contract the Redskins gave him — let alone give up a valuable pick for the opportunity to pay him the contract. 

It's a package. The Texans are desperate now that they lost Miller. Duke Johnson is a 3rd down back/change of pace but he's not a lead back in the NFL.

I know I put it as = but basically it's Trent for Clowney and then Kerrigan & Peterson for a 2nd and a 4th.

Also, I hear you & others on the value of Trent & Kerrigan. I know what they've done in their careers.

37 sacks in the last 3 years is awesome! But, for the Texans they'd be acquiring two 31-year-old players. We all love Trent and Kerrigan but almost assuredly the Texans are acquiring two guys whose play will be declining over the next two-plus seasons - if the Texans decide to keep them past their 33-year-old seasons for a DE/OLB who's just entering his prime.

And, the Texans are taking on $30.25 million in salary while trading for the three 30 something players the next two years too.

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What about this trade?

TWill, Adrian Peterson and Kerrigan to the Texans for Clowney, a 2nd and a 4th round pick?

Clowney is too expensive for his injury history and we are already in good shape at the position.  I want a first, any first.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

Clowney is too expensive for his injury history and we are already in good shape at the position.  I want a first, any first.

He hasn't been injured badly in years. Any first could end up being a bust, with Clowney your getting a good to great run defender and a guy who has gotten near double-digit sacks the last two years.

The idea is to trade Kerrigan before he starts to decline, same with Trent and Peterson and to do good by them by putting them on a Super Bowl contender.

Heck, the way I really feel about the state of the Redskins w/ or w/o these guys this year, I’d trade Reed to the Texans too if they take him. They can afford it.

That gets us back another pick. 

Archived