Week 1 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins - Sept. 10, 1:00 PM

Phire

Interesting matchups (IMO) for week 1:

WR Alshon Jeffrey vs. CB Josh Norman

- Jeffrey's 3 inches taller than Norman, but typically Norman handles bigger WRs well (he gets hurt more against speed).  

RT Lane Johnson & RG Brandon Banks vs. OLB Ryan Kerrigan and DE Jonathan Allen

- Redskins new rook pairs with our best pass rusher to go after Eagles right side. 

DT Fletcher Cox vs. OG Brandon Scherff

- Can Scherff handle Cox one-on-one?  Or will he need Center help?  

WR Terrelle Pryor vs. Ronald Darby

- Battle of the new #1 options for each team.  

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

RT Lane Johnson & RG Brandon Banks vs. OLB Ryan Kerrigan and DE Jonathan Allen

- Redskins new rook pairs with our best pass rusher to go after Eagles right side.

You were close, but its Brooks. Not Banks.

Brooks was really good last year and Johnson was arguably the best RT in the league when healthy.

Allen and Kerrigan have their work cut out for them.

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

DT Fletcher Cox vs. OG Brandon Scherff

- Can Scherff handle Cox one-on-one?  Or will he need Center help?  

That will be a fun match-up, but I'm more interested in Jernigan versus Lauvao. 

I thought Lauvao had been solid for you guys, but it sounds like he's now the weakest link on the line.

Hopefully Jernigan can take advantage of that, but I didn't really see him do much in preseason, so I'm not so sure. 

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

You were close, but its Brooks. Not Banks.

Brooks was really good last year and Johnson was arguably the best RT in the league when healthy.

Allen and Kerrigan have their work cut out for them.

That will be a fun match-up, but I'm more interested in Jernigan versus Lauvao. 

I thought Lauvao had been solid for you guys, but it sounds like he's now the weakest link on the line.

Hopefully Jernigan can take advantage of that, but I didn't really see him do much in preseason, so I'm not so sure. 

Lauvao is a disaster.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Lauvao is a disaster.  

The thought with bringing in Jernigan was that he would provide more pass rush than Logan did and would help take some pressure off Cox.

If Lauvao is now as bad as Washington fans say and Jernigan can't do anything, then Cox is in for another season of lots of double teams.

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

The thought with bringing in Jernigan was that he would provide more pass rush than Logan did and would help take some pressure off Cox.

If Lauvao is now as bad as Washington fans say and Jernigan can't do anything, then Cox is in for another season of lots of double teams.

That's why the Cox vs. Scherff matchup is so crucial.  If Scherff can handle Cox one-on-one they can have Spencer Long helping Lauvao all game.  

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Yup.  And a 59.3 WR rating. :)

That's because of the INTs which really had nothing to do with Jeffery.

Can't find the a video of the 2nd INT Norman had, but it was down the field. Josh was in Alshon's hip with good coverage down the sideline. Barkley didn't even give Jeffery a chance though as he was on the inside of Norman running down the field and the pass was well under thrown and towards the sideline where it was more like a back shoulder throw to Josh.

15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

That's why the Cox vs. Scherff matchup is so crucial.  If Scherff can handle Cox one-on-one they can have Spencer Long helping Lauvao all game.  

Good point.

I believe Scherff played pretty damn well against Cox last year. I think he matches up well with him as he can handle Cox's strength one on one.

Archived