You Are Wrong About Lamar Jackson - Warren Sharp

Ray Reed

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I would NOT say anyone was wrong about LJ.

Miami. In case you missed it that is who they played.  They are the WORST TEAM in the league in a decade including in comparison to the teams that went 0-16. Now, maybe we are wrong about LJ but this singular game doesnt prove that. Imo, Ryan leaf would've gone off on this team. Miami friggin sucks. They're also not hiding the fact they're not trying to win.

Are you serious? lol the entire freaking football world concluded after the Chargers game last year that he couldn't pass...I would say virtually everyone was wrong about Lamar Jackson.

20 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

Miami has a decent secondary. They really just couldn't handle the speed of Hollywood Brown. They also lack a pass rush.

They also consistently got beat by Willie Snead and Mark Andrews, too.

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Lol at Lamar Jackson talking himself up after torching the tanking Dolphins. 

"talking himself up" by saying "not bad for a RB"? Because they asked him specifically about his perfect passer rating and all he said "that's nice I guess but the team win is all that matters". He also just threw for 5 TD's and set NFL scoring records on opening day but yeah I guess he should sit in his place because it was against the Dolphins....

• Like 1

If Lamar Jackson throws 5 interceptions next week, then does that mean everyone was right about Lamar Jackson?  No different than concluding people are wrong about him after he threw 5 TDs or however much.

Lets not forget that Trubisky also threw 5-6 touchdowns against a bad team last year and how is that working out for the Bears right now?  

Ravens fans are in their right to support Jackson, but nobody is right or wrong after one game against the terrible Dolphins just as nobody was right or wrong after one game against a really good Chargers team

Props to Jackson - a good player should be dominant against a bad team, but it's still a bad team (not just a bad team - by far the worst team talent wise in the league).  It is fair to want to see him pass the ball successfully against a team that will offer far more resistance.  I hope he continues to do well though.  Jackson and Brown could be an exciting combination.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

If Lamar Jackson throws 5 interceptions next week, then does that mean everyone was right about Lamar Jackson?  No different than concluding people are wrong about him after he threw 5 TDs or however much.

Lets not forget that Trubisky also threw 5-6 touchdowns against a bad team last year and how is that working out for the Bears right now?

Ravens fans are in their right to support Jackson, but nobody is right or wrong after one game against the terrible Dolphins just as nobody was right or wrong after one game against a really good Chargers team

Props to Jackson - a good player should be dominant against a bad team, but it's still a bad team.  It is fair to want to see him pass the ball successfully against a team that will offer far more resistance.

Yeah, let's ride this high until Lamar proves it was an aberration. The thing that most Ravens fans have been saying though is that his intangibles are what he's improved upon - his footwork, his mechanics, his reads, his ball placement/accuracy. Those things ALL showed yesterday, and the result was him lighting up a secondary that's not entirely terrible on paper.

This wasn't a bad QB throwing bad passes to wide open guys, or a bad QB throwing screen passes for touchdowns, he was making legit NFL throws down the field consistently. Those results will not happen every week, but the foundation that the results are built upon have been exponentially improved since last year.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are you serious? lol the entire freaking football world concluded after the Chargers game last year that he couldn't pass...I would say virtually everyone was wrong about Lamar Jackson.

They also consistently got beat by Willie Snead and Mark Andrews, too.

"talking himself up" by saying "not bad for a RB"? Because they asked him specifically about his perfect passer rating and all he said "that's nice I guess but the team win is all that matters". He also just threw for 5 TD's and set NFL scoring records on opening day but yeah I guess he should sit in his place because it was against the Dolphins....

Yes. I'm serious. 

Miami's team is terrible. If he repeats that against an actually half decent opponent, and no, AZ isnt one, then I'll say we were wrong.

1 good game isnt a determining factor. Mayfield looked good all of last season only to look like a turd yesterday. Can we conclude so quickly that he sucks?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

Yes. I'm serious. 

Miami's team is terrible. If he repeats that against an actually half decent opponent, and no, AZ isnt one, then I'll say we were wrong.

1 good game isnt a determining factor. Mayfield looked good all of last season only to look like a turd yesterday. Can we conclude so quickly that he sucks?

That's the thing I'm trying to point out - these results aren't going to repeat themselves lol he's not gonna throw 5 TD's in a game again maybe all year, but does that mean he hasn't shown massive improvement since last year? Seems like certain people just don't want to believe that Lamar Jackson can throw a football now, which is a shame.

Mayfield last year was a gunslinger prone to turnovers...that's exactly who he was yesterday lol

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That's the thing I'm trying to point out - these results aren't going to repeat themselves lol he's not gonna throw 5 TD's in a game again maybe all year, but does that mean he hasn't shown massive improvement since last year? Seems like certain people just don't want to believe that Lamar Jackson can throw a football now, which is a shame.

Mayfield last year was a gunslinger prone to turnovers...that's exactly who he was yesterday lol

As a player you can show improvements without still be very good. That's, currently imo, a small measuring stick.

Furthermore, playing a team like Miami, who is NOT coaching to win, is a poor measuring stick

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

As a player you can show improvements without still be very good. That's, currently imo, a small measuring stick.

Furthermore, playing a team like Miami, who is NOT coaching to win, is a poor measuring stick

Does this also mean that if he struggled against Miami it wouldn't count? Just trying to get a gauge of how far the goal posts move in both directions.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Also, just for good measure:

Again, improved footwork, mechanics, using his eyes to move safeties then going to his read and dropping a perfect throw. This didn't happen last year.

First of all, there is one major thing people are overlooking 

What was Harbaugh's comments about Jackson? That he was going to break the record for rushes by a QB ina single season that was set by RGIII.

He flat out said it wasnt his intent to allow LJ to pass often.

So what were people wrong about? Many of us said that "RG3" gameplan wasn't going to work and he wouldnt last the season. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does this also mean that if he struggled against Miami it wouldn't count? Just trying to get a gauge of how far the goal posts move in both directions.

I mean....I'd be very concerned if he had struggled against miami. 

See the problem is Miami doesn't have a very good defense and I didn't say it doesn't count I said that it's not a very good measuring stick. Now hypothetically speaking let's say the bears have the best defense in the league and the Baltimore ravens offense struggles, specifically LJ. Personally I'd cut him some slack, that's a tough defense to pass against when you consider their pass rush, so it's not a very good indicator one way or another. But also its the timing. It's the first game of the season. I'm not ready to conclude anything about anyone including Pittsburgh and NE.