Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Nonsense, if Beathard comes in and is Dak Prescott or young Kirk Cousins then it would absolutely impact any QB decision in 2018

Again - he won't have that opportunity to show much. The team is bad. 

Dak had the best offensive line in the league, one of the top 3 running backs in the league, and a decent receiving corps. 

Not sure if you remember, but Cousins was pretty bad his first two/three years.  He was known more for throwing horrific interceptions more than anything else. It wasn't until year four he hit his stride. If they were in a position to have to draft a quarterback after his rookie season, they would have. Or even after year two. Obviously, they didnt because they had RG3, but they also kept going back to Rg3 over Cousins. 

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good point there that Hyde should have gone outside. But think the bad pass was going to give Luke a chance to get there anyways.

If anyone goes back and looks at it closely you'll see that the biggest reason for the play not working is that Garcon missed his block.  Ig he simply gets a nice solid shove to the inside on his guy Hyde would have been able to walk into the endzone.  But the guy that Garcon missed was on Hyde as soon as the pass arrived and that was the biggest reason Hyde didn't go outside, which was indeed an open path to the endzone.

26 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Naa Keuchly was right there in the passing lane Taylor was not open. 

I think Taylor was probably open  Goodwin was wide open too, and unlike Taylor he was already in the endzone and Taylor would have had 5 yards to go, not to mention  Keuchly nearby.  Maybe he should have gone to Taylor, maybe Goodwin was the better choice.  The problem was he threw a bad pass.

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

Because there is literally no rush to try and win this season. I mean, we try but not at the expense of destroying a rookies confidence or development if he's not ready. This team is bad, we all knew that.

and I think most of us on here expected Kyle to have some issues crop up.

Thanks for this too.  I want CJ to get some reps this year.  But there's no need at all to play him till he's ready, or just in some spot occasions. With this o-line I'd rather Hoyer take the weekly beating than our young rookie.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Again - he won't have that opportunity to show much. The team is bad. 

Dak had the best offensive line in the league, one of the top 3 running backs in the league, and a decent receiving corps. 

Not sure if you remember, but Cousins was pretty bad his first two/three years.  He was known more for throwing horrific interceptions more than anything else. It wasn't until year four he hit his stride. If they were in a position to have to draft a quarterback after his rookie season, they would have. Or even after year two. Obviously, they didnt because they had RG3, but they also kept going back to Rg3 over Cousins. 

Naa a QB has more impact on a game that he can show something even on a bad team. Look at what Deshaun Watson did today, not about winning but showing something. Cousins did the same thing early in his career. You cant show anything if you dont get in. Beathard will get his chance and If Hoyer looks like he did today I hope its sooner rather than later because I want to know what he looks like after teams adjust to film of him, after he has sucesses, some failures, everything before we invest a top 10 pick into a QB or a 5 year 150m into another guy. Thats not too much to ask

I will say this, as annoying as the 4th down calls were, I'd rather have an over aggressive coach he needs to learn to soften up then a coach who never takes a chance. Also, I'm pretty sure all the fourth downs were in spots on the field where it' statistically "better" to go for it versus punting the ball. 

I have said this multiple times throughout this game, I honestly don't think that the issue was the play calling so much as it was the execution. Hoyer missed some wide open guys, Goodwin dropped a perfect pass that would have set us up inside the five on the first drive, that 4th down run to Juice would have been successful if our guard had not completely whiffed on his block. @48 1/2ers didn't agree with me on that play where Taylor was running down the goal line to the pylon, but he was wide open on another third down play that would have gone for a first down. Our interior line is garbage, so I'm hoping we'll see Tomlinson and Magnuson at the G positions sooner than later; if nothing else this will let us see what we have in these guys. I think with the exception of Tartt our secondary played better than most expected. For as long as they were on the field, our defense played pretty well. We need to be able to sustain drives on offense and execute the play calls if we want to have any success on offense. My only gripe with the play calling over all was completely abandoning the running game and maybe the screen pass on 4th at the goal line, which one could argue would have been successful if Hoyer didn't put the ball in the dirt. 

10 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

If anyone goes back and looks at it closely you'll see that the biggest reason for the play not working is that Garcon missed his block.  Ig he simply gets a nice solid shove to the inside on his guy Hyde would have been able to walk into the endzone.  But the guy that Garcon missed was on Hyde as soon as the pass arrived and that was the biggest reason Hyde didn't go outside, which was indeed an open path to the endzone.

Need to see it again but the missed block certainly would have impacted the play. 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

Naa a QB has more impact on a game that he can show something even on a bad team. Look at what Deshaun Watson did today, not about winning but showing something. Cousins did the same thing early in his career. You cant show anything if you dont get in. Beathard will get his chance and If Hoyer looks like he did today I hope its sooner rather than later because I want to know what he looks like after teams adjust to film of him, after he has sucesses, some failures, everything before we invest a top 10 pick into a QB or a 5 year 150m into another guy. Thats not too much to ask

I was pretty unimpressed with Watson, which is funny that you mention. Actually thought Kizer looked better, and he also plays on a team much more comparable to our own, so that is the player comparison I would have gone with, though both of those guys are significantly more talented than Beathard. 

Like I said, I think he'll get in eventually...just don't think it's going to be week 5. 

Just now, Forge said:

I was pretty unimpressed with Watson, which is funny that you mention. Actually thought Kizer looked better, and he also plays on a team much more comparable to our own, so that is the player comparison I would have gone with, though both of those guys are significantly more talented than Beathard. 

Like I said, I think he'll get in eventually...just don't think it's going to be week 5. 

I also think there is a very good chance we see Hoyer get injured by game 12 at least. He's going to get annihilated behind this interior line.  

Archived