2020 Draft Thread

beardown3231

54 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Houston has no draft picks and no DBs  and 4 viable TEs. I think 2 are on IR, but they weren’t starting anyway:

Just sayin. You could do some bargain shopping with some midround  picks or a player.  Although we have all short contracts so would probably have to be a pick.  

That could be an option. The free agent options next season do not do a lot for me.

The Denver game intrigued me about Shaheen, because he blocked pretty well and actually looked competent in the passing game. I am crossing my fingers that he can become and adequate starter, although I have serious doubts.

Because then we can just focus on Burton and his "spin the wheel" health issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

That could be an option. The free agent options next season do not do a lot for me.

The Denver game intrigued me about Shaheen, because he blocked pretty well and actually looked competent in the passing game. I am crossing my fingers that he can become and adequate starter, although I have serious doubts.

Because then we can just focus on Burton and his "spin the wheel" health issues.

It seems really talented big receivers (TEs) can be found easily enough.   I think the guy on our practice squad, forgetting his name, Horstead that's it, is a guy that I think could be a really good big receiver.   Heck Wims and Patterson are much better big receiver options than Burton or Shaheen.  

The real problem is Nagy wants the TE be he U, Y, H or whatever to block the EMLOS on his base zone run play.   It seems that is a hard task because the EMLOS is typically the most athletic player on an NFL team.

They really need to work on that block be it a wham or a cut.  Burton is missing or blocking the wrong guy and Shaheen isn't getting his pads low enough on the wham.  I know you don't want to hurt your own guys, but you to find a way to practice that and not just do it only in games.

Have a coach line up at EMLOS and move hard inside with a big heavy dummy keeping his legs back and thrusting it forward just before impact then lunge back on impact with heavy dummy shielding you (like a wrestler sprawl) so you don't get hurt.  That's what I did.  You have to work on it.  That backside or frontside guy is wrecking us time and again.

F you are a billion dollar NFL team.  Make a mechanical practice device if you have to.  I can think of a dozen ways to do it.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think, outside of QB, TE because of Burton and OL is a huge weakness.

I would love to take an OT in round 2 and have him play RG or compete with Leno at LT.

Agreed...I would really like to find someone we can play inside for a year them move to probably RT long term...

I would take a OL & CB in round two in the talent matches...if not give me a TE.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

@Madmike90

Maybe we need to hire Iowa coaches to coach our O line.  Daniels seems to be regressing under our coaching.

I wouldn't say this is the case.  He had the same coaches last year and he was outstanding.

The thought is that he is struggling a bit to start this year due to the fact that he is now playing a more demanding position at center where he is responsible for more than he was playing guard last season.

He will come around.  He is too talented not to.

The guys who I'm more concerned about that have been under performing are Long and Leno.  They need to step it up big time because they are being paid a lot of money and have too much experience to be playing like this.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as I really like him Harrison Bryant might be too rich for us in the 2nd...give me Purdue TE Brycen Hopkins...seems like the perfect fit for us.

Are you saying Bryant won't be there for the Bears, he's not good enough to be a 2nd rounder or there are bigger needs than TE?

You know I love that kid.

I'll start watching Hopkins closer.

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Are you saying Bryant won't be there for the Bears, he's not good enough to be a 2nd rounder or there are bigger needs than TE?

You know I love that kid.

I'll start watching Hopkins closer.

I think he will be there and would be really happy with the pick but I reckon we will have bigger needs at OL, CB & probably OLB.

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We need a new RG

Could do better at LT and save some money.

The other 3 I am fine with. I will give the Whitehair-Daniels switch more time and Massie is solid and paid at a good level.

It sucks that NFL does little to no live work once season starts.  Really stifles player development.  

Bars is talented, but probably isn't ready.  Plus a lot of his reps came at tackle.  If he was getting good practice reps all year he might be a viable replacement soon, but in reality I don't see it happening without two injuries.  Larson probably isn't an upgrade over Long, but you may want to see.  Coward with his freakish strength is probably better suited to be a guard especially in run game, but has no reps there and was hurt most of camp. 

I think/suspect Coward came in this year out of shape and it really cost him. He looked really slow compared to last year in camp and his belly looked bigger.  Guys were going right around him practice at OT. 

Really like what I've seen from Bryce Hall from Virginia so far today

Speaking of that I'm sure the Bears won't be getting new uniforms for awhile but if they did, they should copy Virginia's road uniforms. There are still stripes, the navy helmet/white jersey/navy pants combo would stay, and obviously UVA has orange in their colors.

• Like 1