The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're gonna comp him to a bust, at least say Jurickson Profar or someone who kind of matches his profile as a player or Austin Meadows who had a lot of the same strengths as Robles, then busted. 

Neither of those guys are busts tho. Especially Meadows...he was a victim of the Pirates and is in a real org now.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

28 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Drew Henson

Bubba Starling

Delmon Young

Josh Vitters (I think he played OF before the end tbh)

Donovan Tate

Josh Hamilton (temporarily)

Lastings Milledge

I can keep going this is real easy. And I can name a bunch more guys who Robles is a better comp to before Cameron Maybin.

Henson, Vitters,  Starling, Milledge, and Tate, were never top 5 prospects. Milledge might have squeaked into a top 10 list.

That leaves Young and Hamilton, and neither one of them is considered a 4th OFer for their career.

So, like I said, Cameron Maybin. Maybe Byron Buxton

On 9/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, Slateman said:

Henson, Vitters,  Starling, Milledge, and Tate, were never top 5 prospects. Milledge might have squeaked into a top 10 list.

That leaves Young and Hamilton, and neither one of them is considered a 4th OFer for their career.

So, like I said, Cameron Maybin. Maybe Byron Buxton

Vitters topped out at like 15 though.  He's not that far off.  

3 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Not a 5 tool guy RIGHT NOW, but we’ve seen so many guys hit a switch and hit 25 homeruns in heir mid-20s. Idk much about Robles but scouts probably tap him as an Alex Rios type where it’ll eventually click.

I was talking about Josh Vitters.  Robles was the prospect with 5 tool talent.  Vitters never had speed, and only a few thought he could be a plus defender.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I was talking about Josh Vitters.  Robles was the prospect with 5 tool talent.  Vitters never had speed, and only a few thought he could be a plus defender.  

I thought he was at least an average runner. My bad. And really I shouldn't even have answered the question, because it's a silly question on it's face. Robles isn't like most uber-athletic, 70+ raw power at 18, we're not sure he can hit position players who bust. We know the defense and the baserunning will translate. We have absolutely no reason to suspect he's going to struggle to put the ball in play. The only real question mark is power. 

Cameron Maybin is a really, really bad comp. 

On 9/9/2018 at 1:31 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're gonna comp him to a bust, at least say Jurickson Profar or someone who kind of matches his profile as a player or Austin Meadows who had a lot of the same strengths as Robles, then busted. 

did you just call meadows a bust? He faired ok in his first taste with pittsburgh and then destroyed in his short time at durham at 23. Hes far from a bust right now.

• 2 months later...