College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

I personally don’t get the Cleveland hype. He tested well but isn’t a great football player.

Perhaps he’s a great scheme fit and maybe I have no clue what I’m talking about (highly likely), but drafting him in the top 2 rounds is a mistake.

R3 or later with the idea of him “redshirting” a year?  Yeah, sure.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'd more or less understand that we are completely unable to stop the run, and have been for over 20 years. We need to beef up our DL, find a true MLB, and have some type of SLB/S that can actually run the alley and/or set the edge, preferably both. We need a ballhawking FS, a SS or hybrid slot of some sort (scheme dependent) and another DT. In conclusion, we need:

FS

SS/Hybrid

SLB

MLB

DT

DE after Vernon goes in 2021, plus depth.

...and that's regardless of who we play. I would scheme to win the division, and Baltimore and Pittsburgh are going to try to assert their will with their interior OL, running game, and deep vertical passing attacks. Throw in KC, with their TE and deep vertical passing attack, and having to get pressure on Mahomes and other QBs like him with a 4 man rush.

Some of the drafts have brown dL dropping to us.

The key to the Browns winning is defense.

That is why I Am not against drafting Simmons if 3 tackles come off the board.

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Some of the drafts have brown dL dropping to us.

The key to the Browns winning is defense.

That is why I Am not against drafting Simmons if 3 tackles come off the board.

If Wills/Wirfs/Thomas are gone I’d absolutely draft one of those other 3-4 elite defensive players over Becton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If Wills/Wirfs/Thomas are gone I’d absolutely draft one of those other 3-4 elite defensive players over Becton.

Yahoo has Bectin with a 100 % sparq  score this to me screams that he is at the top of are list

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think you need good corners to play man and sell out to stop the run.

Right now they’ve shown they can run on almost anyone and take advantage of that in the passing game.

You have to make Lamar beat you with his arm.

That said, he was the MVP for a reason and I’m not scoffing at that ability right now tbh.

Agreed. But I do think if you take away his security blanket TEs you can shut him down. 

4 minutes ago, BiscuitBrown said:

If Thomas and Wirfs are gone at pick ten, then I’d draft Derrick Brown over any remaining tackle. 

Simmons is special but not that spectacular. 

true but the browns need help at LB/Safety and Simmons could provide that. I would be fine with either one but if Simmons and Brown are both there, the draft prolly got crazy!

On 3/31/2020 at 8:52 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I personally don’t get the Cleveland hype. He tested well but isn’t a great football player.

Perhaps he’s a great scheme fit and maybe I have no clue what I’m talking about (highly likely), but drafting him in the top 2 rounds is a mistake.

R3 or later with the idea of him “redshirting” a year?  Yeah, sure.

Did you see his combine numbers though??

Those guarantee that he's going to be a Hall of Famer. First Ballot.

The guy can wear some spandex and run around those cones tremendously.

Turf toe his final season will be all the excuse needed for many FOs and Scouts to justify overrdrafting him by 2 or 3 rounds based on the combine numbers.

If he goes in the 1st, it will be madness. If he goes in the 2nd, it will be ponderous. If he goes in the 3rd or beyond, meh.

Edited by Mind Character

One of the most puzzling trends this draft season are those that valorize Tristan Wirfs as OT1 and Andrew Thomas OT2, but disregard Jedrick Wills' abilities while seeing him as the 3rd or 4th best Tackle in the draft.

What's most astonishing is that Tristan Wirfs and Andrew Thomas are polar opposites in terms of play personality, athleticism, technique, competitive focus, and instincts for the position as Thomas just gets guys blocked with instinctual-intuitive feel for the position and better functional athleticism while Wirfs is an unsure of himself, bad sets/footwork, unrefined technical mess who's explosive athleticism saves him from being exposed on most snaps. Thomas is the clearly better Tackle and Jedrick Wills imo is clearly better than him.

The boom-potential-upside projection for players like Wirfs at Tackle when he's never been dominant at Tackle in college is a dangerous projection, especially when pass rushing talent in the Big Ten doesn't challenge Tackle prospects. Guard for Wirfs would be another story.

It doesn't make much sense to value Thomas 2nd to Wirfs and the only explanation I have for it is that Wirfs and Thomas are the two most known names that have received all the hype with Andrew Thomas being the OT1 in the draftnik community prior to the season. Wirfs carries with him the Iowa pedigree as well. But the tape tells a different story for them both.

The size-athleticism combo of Mekhi Becton explains away why people are so enamored with him as a prospect.

But I have no clue at all how anyone can watch extensive film on the top Tackles and come away with the impression that Jedrick Wills isn't at least the 2nd Best Tackle in the draft.

To me, he's the clear OT1 and it's not even close. If/When teams take other OTs over him, I'll be dumbfounded.

Scouting and what people see or don't see... biases and/or reliance on popular sentiment or popular misperceptions versus not....it's all a fascinating and makes draftnik season an interesting human perception environments out there.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

To me if you are looking for somebody to get a 3and 2 conversion against Pittsburgh I take Wirfs.

There would be nothing more satisfying to see us run 7 minutes off the clock score a touchdown on a 11 play drive that featured 3 completed passes and the rest were runs this matches Wirfs skill set exactly.

Edited by mtmmike
duplication
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

To me if you are looking for somebody to get a 3and 2 conversion against Pittsburgh I take Wirfs.

There would be nothing more satisfying to see us run 7 minutes off the clock score a touchdown on a 11 play drive that featured 3 completed passes and the rest were runs this matches Wirfs skill set exactly.

As a RG? Would love to run behind Wirfs and Conklin right side. 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

As a RG? Would love to run behind Wirfs and Conklin right side. 

Well first of all congratulations on your awards .

The point on the discusion was how good a player is he and in the end if drops to us and we draft him if it turns out the he goes to the pro bowl at whatever position he still is a huge upgrade at pennies on the dollar.

Jonathen ogden lt ravens started out at guard finished as a all world tackle.