College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Disagree on pass rusher. You need 2 and we’re not sure if Vernon will or even should be back. 

I think his point is that you need at least one.  Two is obviously preferential, but one is a minimum.

Same with OT.  Ideally you have 2, but you need at least one high level starter.

1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

If we let Schobert walk, would Malik Harrison be an upgrade?  Would have to make it to the 2nd round too I would guess?

He's more a 3rd/4th IMO. There are a lot of solid tier-2 LB's so he could easily get lost in the wash. He's a machine but not necessarily elite in coverage.

And we should tag and trade Schobert. He has value higher than a '21 compensatory 3rd.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

He's more a 3rd/4th IMO. There are a lot of solid tier-2 LB's so he could easily get lost in the wash. He's a machine but not necessarily elite in coverage.

And we should tag and trade Schobert. He has value higher than a '21 compensatory 3rd.

That said there are two things berry is associated with

Trading down due you think Berry trades the 10th overall if Tua slips?

How much due we spend on free agents?

11 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

That said there are two things berry is associated with

Trading down due you think Berry trades the 10th overall if Tua slips?

How much due we spend on free agents?

We're going to free up a lot of money by 100% for sure dumping Chris Hubbard and Christian Kirksey. I don't actually think we are going to cut Olivier Vernon because pass-rushers are hard to find and we don't have any depth there. He has been injury-prone but solid when healthy. 

The analytics answer to Joe schobert is tagging and trading him for maximum value of future assets. I'm hoping we can get a 2021 first-rounder, has he is in his prime and has been making pro bowls. I'm considering mocking him to the Panthers for a 2021 first-rounder straight up, though maybe a mid II and a 2021 3rd rounder or so gets it done. A lot of teams have been giving up big assets for franchise players lately, so it's not crazy. Either he has value around the league or he doesn't. We are going to need to sign miles, Larry, eventually Baker, Denzel and Chubb, as well as possibly signing a big free agent.

With other linebackers getting huge contracts lately, I just do not want to give him 15 million dollars per year. He misses too many tackles and our defense, while not being his fault, has not shined with him. Most others want to keep him, of course, but analytics would say to sell High. He is at a less important position as far as putting large amounts of money into. This of course will be argued the other way by most.

And the fact that Justin Herbert is shooting back up draft boards, as he was talked about as potentially going number one last year, will help if we want to trade down at 10, as it is maybe a 50/50 that either Tua or Herbert make it to us.

If Jedrick Wills, Andrew Thomas and Jeffrey Okudah are all gone at 10 and we can trade down for multiple picks, that makes a lot of sense. There are some wild card picks like Ceedee Lamb Isaiah Simmons, though we could always trade back up if one of them falls to 15 or so, which isn't likely.

I doubt that we will be that active in free agency, as the free agent class a big names is pretty small this year. If we can somehow swing Jack Conklin, that would be a solid grab, though I could see someone more like Anthony castonzo being a value sign in of 3 years or so, rather than five or six years of mega money for Conklin. and if we can get a mid-tier starting safety contract, that would be good, as our safety death is horrible and the draft not having a lot of big-time talent there, it appears.

Edited by NudeTayne
Does anyone even read my long posts?

The best thing about Berrys hire is that the salary cap should be a source of strength.

Draft strategy if Tua drops to us we should set this team up for the long hall with draft picks.

Free agents the rumor out of La is that Dante flower maybe available trading Schobert for picks then trade them for flowers to me this is the best strategy 

Salary cap wise we would only be down 8 million with flowers contract verses Schoberts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

The best thing about Berrys hire is that the salary cap should be a source of strength.

Draft strategy if Tua drops to us we should set this team up for the long hall with draft picks.

Free agents the rumor out of La is that Dante flower maybe available trading Schobert for picks then trade them for flowers to me this is the best strategy 

Salary cap wise we would only be down 8 million with flowers contract verses Schoberts.

Un/fortunately, D'ante Flowers signed a 1-year deal with the Rams and will be a free agent. We won't have to trade for him unles(?). If he is tagged, which is extremely unlikely, as the Rams have had cap issues. But that means he will be pricey most likely.

your absolutely right with top linebackers going north of 15 million how much more would flowers sign for.

I believe the average value of Macks contract is 23 million.

No way I see flowers getting Macks contract.

Draft picks I am 99 percent certain that a 1st gets la to trade him to us

53 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Draft picks I am 99 percent certain that a 1st gets la to trade him to us

He's about to be a free agent. If they tag him, it'll be $20 mil or so and not worth it. He's solid but has been injured a lot. It's more likely we keep Olivier Vernon at $15 million to play LE and hope he stays healthy, also grabbing a DE in the draft; analytics says it's a great position to draft because the contract is cheap.

This may be the last year of cheap high draft contracts, which is why I would be in favor of trading Schobert for around the value of pick #25, possibly something like #30 and #126 from the Packers if they like him as a coverage MLB in their attacking 3-4.