College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Keep an eye on those 20 year olds.

Analytics favors younger players who have more to grow/develop.

Leadership is a huge deal too. We used to love drafting kids that were captains and / or players in the senior bowl.

I think that’s something the nerds don’t get enough credit for. Hell, just re-watch money ball. Depo knows how important good lockeroom guys are. Billy Beane gave him a crash course on that.

Now where he prioritized that, I don’t know. Ironically, the football guy Dorsey didn’t give 2 ****s about that.

Edited by candyman93

Sometimes the Senior Bowl Buzz matches the tape sometimes it doesn't.

The Senior Bowl buzz shines a light on various players to either watch for the first time or re-watch. However, sometimes the practices and 1-on-1 drills create scenarios that mask player weaknesses.

Jonah Jackson, OG Ohio State is on the opposite side of the spectrum as his Senior Bowl Buzz couldn't be higher, but his tape illustrated a players who's deficiencies were masked well by the one-on-one and practice play drill restraints. He shines as a linear, straight ahead blocker who's a competitive strong greco roman wrestler blocker. Those skills are accentuated in Senior Bowl drills and limited stunts and delayed blitz calls of the Senior Bowl defenses. When watching him play in real game context, he has terrible lateral movement skills, lateral agility, change of direction quickness/fluidity, and poor ability to locate and block down the field or in space. The Stunt and Twist drills at the Senior Bowl also illustrated those weaknesses but Jackson sat out many reps while getting his foot looked at. In real games if there's a late blitzers or a stunt that requires horizontal movement Jackson is a non-entity and will struggle mightily at the next level. If he can play heacds up straight ahead he'll be fine, but that's not the NFL Game. If we draft him, it's a misprojection and misevaluation for a ZBS.

Jared Pinkney, TE Vanderbilt is the type of player that was always going to be exposed as all the positive buzz on him before the college season started (i.e., tons of Draftniks having him in the 1st round) never matched the play traits and abilities displayed on film. His tape has always been buttcheeks and the more people see him realize that they had misevaluations of his ability from the outset. Misevaluation is common when scouting players and evaluations change and adapt. The same people that had Pinkney in the 1st now see him as a late round pick at best. '

P.S. ... Went back and watched Grant Delpit's games from 18 and 19.. wasn't just his tackling this year.. his eyes, mental trigger and angles are just buttcheeks.. Antoine Winfield Jr. is light years ahead of Delpit as a prospect.  Delpit is fools gold that is going to be there in the 2nd round with fans/teams thinking he's great value in round 2, but he's going to struggle as a starter and that's not worth a 2nd round selection especially high to mid 2nd.
Edited by Mind Character

Just something to store away until the draft.  Here is what one scout said about Harrison Bryant TE FAU.

“He can be George Kittle 2.0,” a scout told ESPN. “He can get that status. You can spread him out. He’s good at route running, pass catching and blocking. Put him in the right situation and he can be explosive. He’s really polished. He’s athletic, runs good routes, can catch over the middle of the field. He’s a better blocker than anticipated.”

6 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Leadership is a huge deal too. We used to love drafting kids that were captains and / or players in the senior bowl.

I think that’s something the nerds don’t get enough credit for. Hell, just re-watch money ball. Depo knows how important good lockeroom guys are. Billy Beane gave him a crash course on that.

Now where he prioritized that, I don’t know. Ironically, the football guy Dorsey didn’t give 2 ****s about that.

Yeah people acted like some algorithm was making the picks.

Almost universally the picks were highly successful in college, multiple year starters, many were team captains, many won post season awards, and most played at big time programs.

My first clue that Dorsey was a dumbass is when he said he was gonna get “real football players” in here.  It’s not like they were drafting workout warriors or trying to revolutionize anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Funny analytics tells you to draft young athletic players with a bunch of experience at colleigiate high level programs with leadership

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mind Character said:

P.S. ... Went back and watched Grant Delpit's games from 18 and 19.. wasn't just his tackling this year.. his eyes, mental trigger and angles are just buttcheeks.. Antoine Winfield Jr. is light years ahead of Delpit as a prospect.  Delpit is fools gold that is going to be there in the 2nd round with fans/teams thinking he's great value in round 2, but he's going to struggle as a starter and that's not worth a 2nd round selection especially high to mid 2nd.

Winfield Jr. is my "Not a first rounder" draft crush, and Delpit is my "First Rounder" who I just loathe. Aside from all of that which you 100% hit on the head, his effort is ABYSMAL. I saw him give up pursuit in the NATIONAL TITLE game on that end around TD from Higgins. He's a nice athlete that thrives in LSU's system with what those Safeties are asked to do.

TBH, I don't see much from Delpit that I'd see from a guy like Fuller from OSU in the 3rd Day. Good ball hawk, struggles with angles and consistency, good athlete, raw and needs some time to refine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah people acted like some algorithm was making the picks.

Almost universally the picks were highly successful in college, multiple year starters, many were team captains, many won post season awards, and most played at big time programs.

My first clue that Dorsey was a dumbass is when he said he was gonna get “real football players” in here.  It’s not like they were drafting workout warriors or trying to revolutionize anything.

Travis Kelce

Dee Ford

Marcus Peters

Chris Jones

Tyreek Hill

Kareem Hunt

Patrick Mahomes

Baker Mayfield

Nick Chubb

Denzel Ward

Greedy Williams

#scrubs

Edited by big poppa pump
still tryin to cut down the best gm we had???? Nerds better step it up to get to this level

13 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Greedy Williams

To be fair, he SUCKED this year. He sucks in zone and sucks at tackling. His pursuit also sucks.

That said, we took a great man/press man prospect and asked him to play zone and then make tackles on hitch/slants/out patterns.

23 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Travis Kelce

Dee Ford

Marcus Peters

Chris Jones

Tyreek Hill

Kareem Hunt

Patrick Mahomes

Baker Mayfield

Nick Chubb

Denzel Ward

Greedy Williams

#scrubs

I never said anything about his ability to evaluate talent.

Unless of course you think that’s the defining characteristic of intelligence.

3 hours ago, mistakey said:

Funny analytics tells you to draft young athletic players with a bunch of experience at colleigiate high level programs with leadership

It’s why I feel Baker was a PERFECT profile of what they wanted in a QB.

I still believe in Josh Rosen, but my God. He’d be the complete opposite of what analytics wanted. His personality just straight rubs people the wrong way.