Packers sign Quinton Dial

BlondeonBlonde

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It was more or less geared at @EdMathews who wanted to figure out a way to retain Tretter.  He's the 12th highest paid C now by the Browns, and Ed wanted to retain him to be our backup IOL.  Tretter wasn't taking less money to play a lesser role.  So there's no real reason to discuss him being retained, unless you were prepared to give him a starting IOL spot which means no Jahri Evans.

Which I guess would have been fine but didn't he say he wanted to start somewhere at center himself?

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Which I guess would have been fine but didn't he say he wanted to start somewhere at center himself?

Except you don't pay someone starter money with the intention of having them as a utility player.  It's not a good business model.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except you don't pay someone starter money with the intention of having them as a utility player.  It's not a good business model.

Yeah that's what I'm saying lol. He would have taken a center job over our guard job and he certainly wasn't taking a job to ride pine. Nor does anyone pay someone to do that intentionally

I think you're not realizing I'm agreeing cw

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying lol. He would have taken a center job over our guard job and he certainly wasn't taking a job to ride pine.

I think you're not realizing I'm agreeing cw

I wasn't disagreeing with you...I was just continuing your point.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It was more or less geared at @EdMathews who wanted to figure out a way to retain Tretter.  He's the 12th highest paid C now by the Browns, and Ed wanted to retain him to be our backup IOL.  Tretter wasn't taking less money to play a lesser role.  So there's no real reason to discuss him being retained, unless you were prepared to give him a starting IOL spot which means no Jahri Evans.

I agree he likely was going elsewhere, considering the money, but I think a case could have been made, and maybe it was, to Tretter that he would be starting guard here. Win for him, win for Packers because you also get a great back-up center or tackle. I realize he was injured, but if his health checked out I'd have made the effort to sign him. It's a meaningless discussion at this point, but all I meant was we'd all be more comfortable if he was around. Protecting Rodgers is the highest priority on this team and you have to pay for that.

Having said all that I don't disagree that it was highly unlikely we could sign him.

We have no idea if Tretter even wanted to be here or what, if any, offer the Packers made him. They probably didn't offer him THAT deal and pretty much assure him of a starting spot. There is no way of knowing what it would have taken to get him to stay, but given his inability to stay on the field, I'm 100% ok with him walking for that price. Yes protecting Rodgers is a high priority but you have to let guys go who out price their services and that's easily what happened here.

Just now, Haha21 said:

Our depth on the defensive line is as deep as it's been in years. I am so excited to watch this unit this year.

I saw a tweet from Eye in the Sky talking about the 3-2-6 dime package and if that grouping is deployed, you'll get a good look at the 2017 DL in action

45 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I saw a tweet from Eye in the Sky talking about the 3-2-6 dime package and if that grouping is deployed, you'll get a good look at the 2017 DL in action

Just make sure you don't take anything from that account as gospel. 

I stumbled across that account a few weeks ago and there were some cringeworthy tweets. 

26 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Just make sure you don't take anything from that account as gospel. 

I stumbled across that account a few weeks ago and there were some cringeworthy tweets. 

Indeed. Same as with most, gotta filter the cringeworthy items from the rest

But I would be interested in learning more about the concept of having 3 DL on the field more often than just the few times they deploy base

I'm guessing 3 DL would offer more protection when the Packers use Burnett /Jones at ILB

Archived