WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

7 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I disagree, thats not a stretch play, it's a misdirection sweep designed to go outside. If he doesn't cut back in it's a TD. 42 would have to run through Bolles to make the tackle and that won't happen.

If Lindsay runs the play as designed we're all talking about the great block Bolles made on 42 to spring the TD.

This is wrong. Watch the play again. Lindsay is forced to cut inside by BOLLES (at least on that angle). He's shuffling his feet towards the sideline, if Lindsay cuts outside, he runs smack into him. I'm not saying Lindsay didn't read the run correctly, I'm saying that Bolles literally blocks no one by taking himself out of position instead of going and getting 42. There's no defense of him on this play, and I'm not a Bolles hater. 

3 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

This is wrong. Watch the play again. Lindsay is forced to cut inside by BOLLES (at least on that angle). He's shuffling his feet towards the sideline, if Lindsay cuts outside, he runs smack into him. I'm not saying Lindsay didn't read the run correctly, I'm saying that Bolles literally blocks no one by taking himself out of position instead of going and getting 42. There's no defense of him on this play, and I'm not a Bolles hater. 

https://[LINK ERROR]/smx0e

7 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

We'll just agree to disagree. I've watched that play 20 times stopping it every half second. I won't change my mind.

There are plenty of opportunities to pick on Bolles and be correct. This isn't one of therm.

I was one of the few who liked the Bolles pick because the elite athletes at that position usually do well. It's a who's who of Pro Bowl tackles that meet his athletic thresholds. What Bolles doesn't have that all of those guys did, and I hate to be mean about it but I have to call a spade a spade, is a brain. Listen to the best linemen in the game talk football, they just ooze intelligence and insight, it's like having another coach on the field. Bolles still makes mistakes and not just little ones but disastrous ones, almost always technique issues, all too frequently. He needs to put together a stretch of clean football. He also seemed to lose his composure on a few plays on Monday, and that garbage just needs to stop. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

Is this supposed to make Bolles look better? Smh, if I was Munchak, his *** would be on the bench for being charmin soft. 

So, Bolles job is to give Lindsay the sideline. He did that. Start and stop the tape rapidly at around 6-7 seconds and 13-14. Bolles has position and Lindsay has the sideline if he wants it. 

He has no help inside. Once again, if he takes the sideline he gets 7 if Sutton holds his block. When he cuts it in he's on his own.

4 hours ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

A friend of mine said he was listening to Mark Schlereth today and Schlereth basically said Bolles is trash who hasn’t made any growth since he stepped in the league.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

A friend of mine said he was listening to Mark Schlereth today and Schlereth basically said Bolles is trash who hasn’t made any growth since he stepped in the league.

I think there are a lot of worse Left Tackles in the NFL than Bolles, but he's far from a franchise LT either. I'd put him in the bottom third of starters in the league. But the worrying thing as Schlereth says is that I don't really view the Bolles of today being discernably better than the Garrett Bolles that started as a rookie in 2017.

Year 3 is really important for first round rookies because after that season the team decides whether to give them the fifth year option or not. For me, we need to see an improvement in his play this season to even consider the option. I wonder if Risner has the athleticism to play LT in the NFL?

23 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think there are a lot of worse Left Tackles in the NFL than Bolles, but he's far from a franchise LT either. I'd put him in the bottom third of starters in the league. But the worrying thing as Schlereth says is that I don't really view the Bolles of today being discernably better than the Garrett Bolles that started as a rookie in 2017.

Year 3 is really important for first round rookies because after that season the team decides whether to give them the fifth year option or not. For me, we need to see an improvement in his play this season to even consider the option. I wonder if Risner has the athleticism to play LT in the NFL?

I would absolutely look at him at RT if neither Wilkinson or Bolles work out, and kick James to LT.   But I think Risner has the potential to be a dominant G.   The T class is very promising this year - if Bolles can't progress, then yes, it's time to think hard about T again.   You don't get too many premium picks, and while QB will be the obvious debate, franchise T appears to be an area of strength so far in this draft.

13 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

This is really the crux of the debate. I don't think you move Risner why chance it. You also have to consider the alternatives to Bolles.

If we had taken a Tackle in the draft like Dilliard at 20 instead of Fant you have an exit strategy. You also have the guy developing which helps coming from the college game. 

Bolles still possesses some type of value if he shows any improvement. Teams will pay for trying to protect their franchise qb.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Anyway, well designed play and McGovern really did do a good job screening off the DT. We'll see that again. Next time though Lindsay will be a little more patient and use his blockers better. I'm sure he caught some flack in the film room.

say what you want about whether or not Bolles was blocking for the outside or not, whether it's fault or not, etc.  But anytime an offensive lineman literally doesn't put a hand on a defender for an entire play, that's not good and puts the team at a disadvantage.  At the very least, his job is to make it difficult for the defense, and he most certainly didn't.  On that play, we could've gone 10 vs 11 and had the same result, and in no way is that acceptable.  

Edited by 3Amigos_FOREVER

On 9/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, BroncoBruin said:

I was one of the few who liked the Bolles pick because the elite athletes at that position usually do well. It's a who's who of Pro Bowl tackles that meet his athletic thresholds. What Bolles doesn't have that all of those guys did, and I hate to be mean about it but I have to call a spade a spade, is a brain. Listen to the best linemen in the game talk football, they just ooze intelligence and insight, it's like having another coach on the field. Bolles still makes mistakes and not just little ones but disastrous ones, almost always technique issues, all too frequently. He needs to put together a stretch of clean football. He also seemed to lose his composure on a few plays on Monday, and that garbage just needs to stop. 

Agreed.  Physically aside from being a bit undersized, he should be a very good OT.  His athletic measurables are elite, but technique/mental lapses hold him back.  He’s still a solid LT, but he hasn’t lived up to a top 20 pick thus far and he isn’t young, he’s 27.  

I really like his toughness and tenacity, if he had technique behind it I think he’d be one hell of a LT.  Just seems like a bull in a china shop type though.  

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Agreed.  Physically aside from being a bit undersized, he should be a very good OT.  His athletic measurables are elite, but technique/mental lapses hold him back.  He’s still a solid LT, but he hasn’t lived up to a top 20 pick thus far and he isn’t young, he’s 27.  

I really like his toughness and tenacity, if he had technique behind it I think he’d be one hell of a LT.  Just seems like a bull in a china shop type though.  

Meanwhile, Ryan Ramczyk is one of the best tackles in football and he's the same age Bolles was when we drafted him. How badly would they like to do that one over?