WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Outside some aging vet talents like Wolfe, Miller, Harris... they don't have much talent. Sutton looks like a find. But what else can you hang your hat on? Elway needs to stop trying to quick fix it thinking he can field a winner and get real with where the roster is at. 

I agree with this as i think a majority on here do. The challenge is where do you start. This organization under Elway never had a sustainable model. I mean 4 different head coaches since 2011 this model doesn't seem like a recipe for long term sustainability.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The coaching staff is puzzling. You have a fairly conservative guy in Fangio. And then this "they'll never see it coming" OC trying to do to much gimmicky stuff in spots.

The unfortunate thing with Elway is, he hit a home run landing Manning and everything aligned perfectly. He's had no plan since. After failing over-drafting big QBs, he's now trying to catch lightning in a bottle with some old vet who had his day. 

Outside some aging vet talents like Wolfe, Miller, Harris... they don't have much talent. Sutton looks like a find. But what else can you hang your hat on? Elway needs to stop trying to quick fix it thinking he can field a winner and get real with where the roster is at. 

I'll give the coaching staff a bit of a pass in it being their first game. I was hoping for a significant upgrade from VJ and co....so we'll see. The OC embarrassed himself, so lets see if he makes adjustments. 

And yeah the Paxton Lynch and VJ decisions crippled the franchise and most GMs would be let go. But the team has no direction without ownership. Elway is the type of guy to try and put a winner on the field ASAP and that aligns with the business ppl running the show. It's just a bad situation. 

Edited by champ11

3 minutes ago, 3Amigos_FOREVER said:

I saw the same hot mess that everyone else saw, but I'm not sure I agree with the "Flacco is blah" assessment.  Outside of taking a sack when he should've thrown it away and a ball that was behind Hamilton (and hamilton stumbled) that prevented a would be 1st down, I thought Flacco played really well.  Especially considering the pocket collapsed almost immediately on every dropback.  Still has excellent velocity and accuracy across the middle, and his deep ball is definitely still there if he has the time.  Took care of it and didn't turn it over, and the red zone woes can't be laid at his feet entirely.

A lot to be down on from this game, but Flacco isn't one of them.  Not yet, at least.

He wasn't bad. Nice to see him hit some deep crossing routes that Keenum definitely couldn't. I think the defense was the most concerning thing - but a ton of it may be fixed if Callahan can get healthy. Coverage of RBs and TEs looks like it will continue to be a joke though. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I don't get why people think our defense is elite. Our weakness is that we can't cover receivers (RB, TE, Slot) that actually run quick routes negating our pass rush. Our front 3 are mediocre to below-average, our ILB may be the worst in the league, and Justin Simmons just isn't a great player. That second deep pass to Williams should have been an easy pick, but his dumbass couldn't find the football.

I also don't get the Bradley Chubb hype. I know he had 10 sacks in his rookie year, but I just don't see an elite edge rusher or run defender. He'll be a very good player, but he isn't an elite athlete. I was on the Quinton Nelson bandwagon, and this team would be lightyears better with him instead of Chubb.

At the end of the day, they looked like a bottom 5 team in terms of talent AND Coaching. This is concerning to me. We looked like we never fired Vance and hired a completely new staff. Just totally inept. From kicking meaningless field goals to completely bundling three timeouts before halftime. 

If I was Elway, I would ship Von out for a first round pick since this team isn't going anywhere for 3-4 years, and he is on the wrong side of 30. At the end of the day, I think that Broncos fans need to get used to the fact that this IS the new normal for our team as it stands today, and it starts at the top.

FIRE ELWAY.

The top is higher than Elway. I don't want Joe Ellis in charge of picking the next GM. We unfortunately have the un-fixable issue of no ownership. Or terrible ownership - however you want to put it 

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The top is higher than Elway. I don't want Joe Ellis in charge of picking the next GM. We unfortunately have the un-fixable issue of no ownership. Or terrible ownership - however you want to put it 

Bingo. Very awkward situation. Brittany Bowlen still is learning or whatever. And Joe Ellis and the board of trustees are "teaching. "

When's she going to become owner?

When is she going to demote Joe Ellis?

Trying to recycle 90's success doesn't seem smart.

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The coaching staff is puzzling. You have a fairly conservative guy in Fangio. And then this "they'll never see it coming" OC trying to do to much gimmicky stuff in spots.

The unfortunate thing with Elway is, he hit a home run landing Manning and everything aligned perfectly. He's had no plan since. After failing over-drafting big QBs, he's now trying to catch lightning in a bottle with some old vet who had his day. 

Chubb, Risner and Lindsay are all good young players, Elway has done a good job getting value in the draft the last two years. Not sure what changed, but it's been a big improvement. They had a five year run of bad drafts (2013-2017), the majority of the roster's construction is supposed to have come from that run of drafts and there's barely anything to show for it. Also worth noting that two years of potential development for young players were wasted on a totally incompetent coaching staff. 

This team has the rookie and second year guys who look to have a lot of upside and the 29-30+ year old vets who have been productive for years. There's a black hole between those groups that should have been filled with talent and is the biggest reason this team is a mess right now. But it's not nearly as barren of foundation pieces as it was in 2017 when we didn't have any young players to be excited about. Just not improving quickly enough, mostly because they keep trying to upgrade by 5% at QB every year when they need more like an immediate 35% upgrade. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree with this as i think a majority on here do. The challenge is where do you start. This organization under Elway never had a sustainable model. I mean 4 different head coaches since 2011 this model doesn't seem like a recipe for long term sustainability.

Where you start is with Joe Ellis, then 7.

4 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Good defenses figure out a way to disrupt the quarterback regardless of what style of plays they're running. That's nothing more than a lame *** excuse and I'm tired of hearing those. For the last 3 years all I've heard is people explaining away why Von disappears for weeks on end, or why our defensive line can't get any push, or why our linebackers are constantly out of position. The truth is that it's because deep down, those guys don't care about winning anymore. They're not putting in the extra reps in the weight room or spending extra time after practice working on technique. They're not taking practice seriously as a chance to sharpen their game. And they sure as hell aren't holding each other accountable. God forbid someone call out the all mighty Von Miller for playing at 70% of his potential for weeks on end. This team is garbage. And I'm tired of making excuses for these guys. 

And it frustrates me to no end. Physically Von is one of the most gifted players ever. One of those very few with the ability to almost single handedly take over a game. We saw it big time in the SB but very little since. 

Whatever the reason, excuse, whatever, he's not been worth the money since we gave him an extension. 

Trade him to a team with strong leadership and he could perform. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This organization had 38 draft picks between 2013 and 2017. Only one turned out to be a good NFL starter, and we let him sign with the Panthers this offseason while our offensive line continues to be a mess. 

38 draft picks and there's not one difference maker on this team to show for it. 

ghastly 

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

This organization had 38 draft picks between 2013 and 2017. Only one turned out to be a good NFL starter, and we let him sign with the Panthers this offseason while our offensive line continues to be a mess. 

38 draft picks and there's not one difference maker on this team to show for it. 

Eye opening

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

This. 

Every one wants to blame Elway for the mess we're in. And I don't think that blame is entirely misplaced. For a long time I've been an Elway defender but its been one big mistake after another. And while it's fair to blame Elway do you really want Joe Ellis, Joe freaking Ellis, making the decision on a new GM?  Think about that for a minute. 

Woody Paige, who has real sources beyond the Broncos PR team, reported last year Ellis was a full-throated supporter of hiring McDaniels and that he didn't want a Shanahan, Mike or Kyle, back involved with the team so we hired Vance and then retained him, over Elway's objections. It was Ellis, not Elway, who didn't want to pay Wade $2 million a year to stay on as DC. 

Elway has made his mistakes, a lot of them and a number of them big ones, but to think firing him will cure our problems is 1000000000% wrong. And, until we go back to the playoffs and get into contention for championships again, it'll be all we hear on the radio and elsewhere. But Ellis is the problem, or at least the biggest one, and until he is removed from any and all positions of power in this franchise nothing is going to change.

And, remember this, after we wait another 10 years for Brittany Bowlen to finally take over as a real owner do you think she's going to remove Ellis, the guy who basically secured her controlling ownership of the team? Doubtful. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

36 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I look at it just a bit differently, similar but the same result. These are the drafted players that were re-signed, extended from 2011 through 2015. Nelson doesn't really count since we let him go, then got him again when no one else wanted him. Once again though, 38 picks and only 4 left on the roster, not one of them a leader. 

Hard to build a team that way.

The survivors:

2011-Von Miller

2012- Derek Wolfe

2013- No one

2014-Corey Nelson

2015- Jeff Heuerman

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

I look at it just a bit differently, similar but the same result. These are the drafted players that were re-signed, extended from 2011 through 2015. Nelson doesn't really count since we let him go, then got him again when no one else wanted him. Once again though, 38 picks and only 4 left on the roster, not one of them a leader. 

Hard to build a team that way.

The survivors:

2011-Von Miller

2012- Derek Wolfe

2013- No one

2014-Corey Nelson

2015- Jeff Heuerman

True, I didn't include the 2011 and 2012 guys who didn't re-sign because they were huge contributors to great teams and a championship team. But yeah, that doesn't help us now.