WEEK 1 @ OAK TOWN

BullsandBroncos

1 minute ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

It may not be too great an exaggeration to say that Issac Yiadom cost the Broncos this game.

Our defense looked so much better when Kareem Jackson was matched up in man coverage. If Callahan is still out next week, we have no choice but to move Jackson back to Corner, and start Will Parks at SS.

Well early post-mortem but I have to go to bed soon...

The Good

1.  Courtland Sutton - the one guy on O who really came to play for 60 mins except...

2.  Lindsay & Freeman - the other guys who showed up.   Lindsay salvaged a couple of awful throws by Flacco, good sign.   Freeman ran with purpose and conviction.

The OK

3.  Sanders 2H - it's misleading, because he didn't separate on cut/come-back/lateral agility plays, just blown coverage on the deep ball, and then near-picks and stop patterns with OAK laying off late.   It's better than being shut out, but not a complete grade.   Garbage time was a big factor in #10's stats. 

The Bad

3.  Pass Rush MIA - Chubb was supposed to be the focus of the Fangio D - he was a ghost.   So was Von.   And frankly, they don't deserve the blame alone, because...

4.  D-line abused on inside pass rush and in the run game - this was eye-opening.  1H, 2H, completely beaten throroughly in pass rush and in run D.  We knew they were going to run, and could not stop them.   They blew us off the LOS too many times.

5.  Flacco - his accuracy was horrific on big 3rd down throws - 2x receivers bailed him out, and then there was the tipped ball to Hamilton where Flacco nearly got Sutton killed.   And the sack on 3rd and 2 will go on Bolles but that was a 7 second sack - that's ALL on Flacco.  He doesn't take a sack, we go for it, and needed those 4 points.  Damn.

6.  Hamilton's drop - he wasn't bad any other time (Flacco sailed a ball that he got forced out on) - but that was simply a back-breaker drop when we had a ton of momentum.

The Ugly

7.  OL play - James leaving early definitely hurt us, but frankly, our entire OL got toasted in the run block game in the 1H, and completely in pass pro the entire game.  The only guy I can give fairly clean grades to would be Risner, but that's about it.   Leary was just downright awful.   

8.  ST's - kick coverage awful, nothing more need to be said.

9.  ILB coverage - we know the story, nothing's changed.

10.  Fant & Yiadom's mistakes - they're both young.  They are certainly not at the point you turn your back.  But the fact was they got schooled tonight (Yiadom) or made multiple mistakes (Fant).  It's forgiveable, but the expectations on early returns are clearly hopelessly optimistic.  Still can be great future assets, but they need more time.  And that means long Sundays as they learn.

The Embarrassing

11.  Coaching clock management / game management - let's be clear, it wasn't the difference.  But it was DOWNRIGHT BRUTAL.   We saved all 3 TO's until there was 30 secs at MIDFIELD in the 1H.  How does an experienced coach and QB let that happen?   And then we had a TON of momentum at the 8 down 14-3, with the OAK D gassed being on the field for 27 of the last 30 plays..and went Pop Warner with a trick play that had no one fooled, and which we didn't look comfortable executing.  And then we kick a FREAKING FG down 15 with 8:40 left on 4th and 8 - that's ridiculous.    We lost on talent difference in the trenches & failure to execute overall, but that was not an auspicious debut for Fangio & Scangarelli (with Flacco) as game managers.   Ugh.

The good news?  You're never as bad as your worst game, and week 1 panic sometimes can be premature.  But this was an entirely winnable game - and we got our doors blown off.   NO EXCUSES.    And now we get an angry CHI team, who knows how to beat Fangio's D, with far less talent on our side than theirs. 

Man, tough to get optimistic about our 2019 outlook.  6-10 seems optimistic the way we got beat in the trenches and on O, and our D didn't have any dominance to its game.   Basically awful in all 3 facets.  Ugh.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

Scangarello's 2 hideous gimmick plays killed two drives. First drive never had a chance with that Fant hand-off, then that really weird screen to Freeman behind the wall of OL and receivers when the team was finally getting something going, and the drive ends in 3 instead of 7. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

Some more notes on the defense:

Start getting Duke Dawson and De'Vante Bausby ready to play with the starters. Yiadom got absolutely destroyed. It was like the Langley game or Roby vs. the Jets. 

Chris Harris Jr. has got to be sick of Justin Simmons making the same mistakes and never improving. Maybe next year is the breakout year...(sarcasm)

How bad are these linebackers that a career backup in Corey Nelson is starting after being with the team for less than a week?

Bad showing for Shelby Harris. Purcell needs to play more NT going forward to help stop the bleeding in the run game.

Edited by BroncoBruin

I don't blame Fangio for this mess. We have a problem on this team and have ever since we won the Super Bowl. It's this: the best players on this team are the worst leaders. I've watched Von Miller practice. Closely. He's the most talented man on the planet.. He's fun. He's goofy. He's a great locker room guy. But he does not care if they win or lose football games. Neither does Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Joe Flacco, or anyone on the O-line. PFM would have eaten those guys alive on that sideline for the sloppy way they were playing tonight. Instead? Crickets.. You think for one second that TJ Ward, D-Ware, or Talib would have been ok with Carr posting a 120 qbr without taking one single hit all game? Not in a million years. 

It took a long time for it to dawn on me why Belichick seems to randomly keep certain pro bowl veterans while releasing others, even in their prime. But now I get it. He keeps the ones who stay hungry. The ones that get complacent hit the road. No matter who they are. And it's why his team will win yet another Super Bowl this year while we go 5-11.

Things are never going to change here until Elway finally pulls the trigger, drops the dreaded "rebuild" word and blows this roster up. 

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I don't blame Fangio for this mess. We have a problem on this team and have ever since we won the Super Bowl. It's this: the best players on this team are the worst leaders. I've watched Von Miller practice. Closely. He's the most talented man on the planet.. He's fun. He's goofy. He's a great locker room guy. But he does not care if they win or lose football games. Neither does Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Joe Flacco, or anyone on the O-line. PFM would have eaten those guys alive on that sideline for the sloppy way they were playing tonight. Instead? Crickets.. You think for one second that TJ Ward, D-Ware, or Talib would have been ok with Carr posting a 120 qbr without taking one single hit all game? Not in a million years. 

It took a long time for it to dawn on me why Belichick seems to randomly keep certain all star veterans while releasing others, even in their prime. But now I get it. He keeps the ones who stay hungry. The ones that get complacent hit the road. No matter who they are. And it's why his team will win yet another Super Bowl this year while we go 5-11.

Things are never going to change here until Elway finally pulls the trigger, drops the dreaded "rebuild" word and blows this roster up. 

Yeah, Von has always had a tendency to coast. And CHJ is mentally checked out already. He'll still play great ball because he's a competitor and he cares about his legacy, but his priority is that big contract waiting for him in March. Flacco doesn't seem to provide much of a presence.

Just seems like a low energy team. You thought there were flashes from the young guys late last year but the vets we have are not going to take crap from the kids. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, Von has always had a tendency to coast. And CHJ is mentally checked out already. He'll still play great ball because he's a competitor and he cares about his legacy, but his priority is that big contract waiting for him in March. Flacco doesn't seem to provide much of a presence.

Just seems like a low energy team. You thought there were flashes from the young guys late last year but the vets we have are not going to take crap from the kids. 

Then those vets shouldn't be on this team. I will take 52 Phillip Lindsays and Dalton Risners ANY DAY over a roster full of all pro vets who don't care about winning and losing anymore. 

• Like 1

0 QB Hits 0 INT 0 Sack .......9 mn drive cover 98 yds !!!!!!!

3 plays in 35 mn at start the Half for OAK. The Def is not tired...but can't stop a rookie RB or TE coming from PS last year !!!!!

Everybody praise Fangio for his defense . Where is Denver defense tonight ????

In Offense Flacco need to play with his TE . Hamilton lose balance in wide open field for at least 20 yds........

Fangio was outcoaching by Gruden , Scangarello adjust his offense at halftime but we need to score TD in redzone. 4 Trips 1 TD !!!!!

After one game i think we are more disappointing than the last game last season !!!

If we can't beat the Raiders we are just ahead of the Dolphins. We sucks. Time to regroup for next Sunday or this season will be long !!!

Edited by French Fan

1 game and we are cutting Von and CHJ - sport fans are mental ... Much to my wife's disgust, I've just watched the game in Bali and this team is still so similar to last year. 

On Defense especially, where teams pass the ball when we are in our base 3-4 because our LBs and Safeties can't cover TEs and RBs, and then run as soon as we go into our Nickel because our interior Linemen can't hold up against big Guards. Teams don't even bother getting their OL to the 2nd level because we don't have the athletes at LB to stop run plays anywhere near the LOS.

I'm not a big Derek Wolfe guy but he's 295lbs; he ain't holding up against a 650lbs double team. I watched Roquan Smith destroy plays in the backfield on Thursday because he has the athleticism to disrupt when unblocked. If we don't figure out a way to stop the run in Nickel and stop cheap yardage on 1st down in the air whilst in our base D, it will be no different to last year.

Offensively it's the same deal - awful redzone execution and playcalling basically lost the game. If we matched the Raiders for it, we'd have won. As poor as the D was in parts, 24 points conceded ain't that bad yet we were never in the game because of our Offense. 

The decision to kick a FG was bad but nowhere near as bad as Flacco taking a sack in that spot. THROW IT IN THE STANDS. Have you ever seen a QB penalised for intentional grounding inside the 10? No because they throw it in the crowd and blag they overshot their guy. Terrible from Joe but to be fair, it's nothing we didn't know about him.

Bad start, but fair play to the Raiders. They played hard and fast for 3 quarters. 

Edit - and Noah Fant looks totally lost out there. Love how we draft a TE whos only real College experience was in the redzone then don't use him there. Real smart, that.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2