Week 1 Jacksonville @ Houston GDT

lumberjackchris

13 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I like Deshaun Watson... but this is why I wanted TJ Watt in the 1st

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20661865/tj-watt-pittsburgh-steelers-not-satisfied-historic-debut

I would still take Watson over Watt 10 times out of 10. Watt might be an amazing player, but we already have Clowney, JJ Watt, Mercilus on D, using a 1st rounder on another front 7 defensive player when we didnt have a QB was not the right approach. Will it work out? only time will tell, but it was the right choice. 

I am really looking forward to seeing the Bengals game. we played much better in the 2nd half sunday, but was that due to the game being out of hand or did our adjustments work?

Its clear that Mancz is one of our 2 best interior linemen, starting him at guard is a must. the 2nd half was a 10-7 game. Once again why was that is a good question.

I think the Watson 1st drive of the 2nd half is what our offense can look like for an entire game. When you are down 26-7 in the 2nd half it changes things, but if we start Watson, we can do that from the beginning. He needs to learn and improve on taking care of the ball. he had some terrible choices yesterday, but he was also thrust into a game he wasnt suppose to be playing in, in a terrible situation. 

If Duane Brown can look at his team that he has been going to battle with for his entire career and not end his hold out now, then I dont even want him on the roster. He made his point, the team made its point. Now Brown has to decide if its all about the money or if its about his teammates who need him. This isnt a guy on a rookie deal about to enter the prime of his carrer. Hes got 2-3 years left and hes playing on a 53 million dollar contract. There is no excuse for him to continue holding out. He needs to end it today and be back for the week 3 game against the Patriots, so he can work himself into shape for the Titans game. 

43 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If Duane Brown can look at his team that he has been going to battle with for his entire career and not end his hold out now, then I dont even want him on the roster. He made his point, the team made its point. Now Brown has to decide if its all about the money or if its about his teammates who need him. This isnt a guy on a rookie deal about to enter the prime of his carrer. Hes got 2-3 years left and hes playing on a 53 million dollar contract. There is no excuse for him to continue holding out. He needs to end it today and be back for the week 3 game against the Patriots, so he can work himself into shape for the Titans game. 

QFT. Both sides have to come together right now. Not tomorrow, not next week - now.

If not, then part ways. Trade Brown for a 1st and 4th, stash Watson on the IR with some phantom injury, let Savage get killed, go 2-14, fire everyone. 

I had to work yesterday so I'm just now getting to see the game, and I'm up to halftime. Thoughts so far:

* It's not quite "sky is falling" bad as many have made it out to be. Maybe it gets worse in the 2nd, but I'm not as discouraged as I thought I'd be.

* The o line is bad, but we knew that already. Duane Brown coming back would help  a lot with a Brown, Mancz, Martin left side. Play with Allen, Giacomini, Lamm and Fuller on the right to see what works best. If I remember, all of them have experience at RG and RT, so find the combo that works. On the plus side, the run blocking was pretty good most of the 1st half. Getting better on the line starts and ends with calling Duane Brown and making him happy with both years guaranteed. For that matter, extend him for 3 years, with a full guarantee on all 3 with a small bump in salary.

* We all agreed that Savage did nothing to lose the job preseason, but he is exactly what we said he is. He holds the ball too long, which is a cardinal sin behind a terrible line. He locks in on Hopkins, (not that there's anyone else out there due to poor roster composition as Apollo said.) Overall, he wasn't a complete mess in the 1st half, with some decent throws, but he was a big reason why nothing was working.

* AJ Boyue was NOT worth what he got from Jax, but losing him was huge for this team. The only reason Hopkins couldn't catch against him was that AJ wasn't being called for the mugging he was doing to receivers. He's a good player, and cost the Texans D not having him, but he's going to cost the Jags with some DPIs in critical moments. He knew he couldn't hang with Hop and the film's going to show it. (I wrote most of this prior to the back to back DPIs from him, so I guess I was right on with my assesment)

* The Texans run D was bad, and the pass rush was MIA. However, the TD drive before the 2 minute warning was a direct result of highly questionable flags. The had that drive shut down until Reader was called for a phantom holding. It went down hill from there.

* I'm not in the fire O'Brien camp, but playing it safe on the end of half drive with :49 seconds left is one of the worst coaching decisions he's made. RAC's whole purpose on this team right now is to help him with these exact moments. That was a major mistake as you're telling your team that you have no faith in them to do anything positive and kills any momentum they have. This falls on O'Brien as HC, but it's on RAC too since that's his job.

*  Aside from the fumble 6 and the TD drive that was helped by questionable flags, it was a 6-0 game at the half. That's not something that makes me want to give up on the season and blow up the team.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

QFT. Both sides have to come together right now. Not tomorrow, not next week - now.

If not, then part ways. Trade Brown for a 1st and 4th, stash Watson on the IR with some phantom injury, let Savage get killed, go 2-14, fire everyone. 

No one is giving us a 4th for Brown, much less a 1st and a 4th. He might could be had for a 6th, but thats only if he is willing to report.

Keep Watson in, hes mentally tough enough to handle a rough season. 

38 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No one is giving us a 4th for Brown, much less a 1st and a 4th. He might could be had for a 6th, but thats only if he is willing to report.

It's not the mental part I'm worried about. It's the physical part. Look at Andrew Luck right now, he's basically broken to the point of never being effective again. 

Would rather let Savage take a beating and roll into our losing season.

John Lopez on 610 is reporting that Brian Cushing stated his concussion is "a really bad one," so you have to believe he won't be ready for Thursday. 

If it's bad enough, I'd hope that Cushing takes his long term health into consideration. He's had a lot of injuries, and a few concussions to boot. If this one is bad...

2 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

I'm with you till the last part.

Why would BOB and Rick set themselves up for a firing? 

I don't think any setup is necessary. This team simply is not good.

EDIT - The only thing that gives me solace is that the Jags might be that "from out of nowhere" team that shocks everyone and goes 12-4. If this proves to be the case and the Jags have top 5 units on both the OL and DL, I feel slightly better (not much, because that's a squad you have to face 2x a year).

That's the only way I take anything away from yesterday.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Seriously? Brown is a top 10 LT when healthy. I'd have to dig it up, but I'm pretty sure he was 12th overall last year, even with missing games. He's older, but his contract isn't too much to handle, and I'm sure any OTHER team in need of a LT would be glad to guarantee his 2 years. I don't think he'd bring a 1st and a 4th, but if you think you'd only get a 6th for him, you're just letting your emotions creep into it.

19 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

No one is arguing the D sucked it up. My point was that the guys we lost in the off season are part of the reason. We lost some really solid starters and we literally didn't replace them. 

Clowney needs to be at DE not OLB. 

You keep talking about Tennessee. The way our D played today, it doesn't matter if it's the Jets. We might be giving the Browns a top 10 pick in the 1st and 2nd round. 

Top 10 pick? I'm more worried we may be giving them a top 5 or top 3 pick with the way we looked.

2nd half thoughts.

* Putting Watson in gave a spark. It was an immediate shift in how they moved and it showed in the blocking for Miller on the 1st play of the half.

* On his first drive, he hit a couple of passes and then they called a read option. At first, the defense ignored him, and played the handoff,  but as soon as he started moving like he kept it, the entire front 7 paused. That's what he brings right there. Yes, he was saved by a couple of flags and the INT was a terrible read, but he's still a rookie. Savage was making the same mistakes and is a 4 year pro. The rest of Watson's drives were a mixture of good and bad. He had several nice throws and scrambles, the fumble where it was kicked out of his hand was kind of fluky, but ultimately, you have to protect the ball.

* The run D didn't get any better. Fournette and Ivory did what they wanted on pretty much all day. The pass rush didn't get to Bortles, but it got better as the day went on, creating pressure several times that disrupted the play. Dylan Cole has a chance to develop into a really good player for the Texans, and Zach Cunningham looked better than he did in preseason and reduces any worry about Cushing missing time.

* Getting Jalen Strong back will help, and being able to use Tyler Ervin in the slot does too, but the team needs to sign some WR depth NOW. 

* The O line repeatedly killed the second to last drive with hold after hold. This thing could have been 26-14 with an onside kick possibility, rather than Watson trying to press the issue with a bad throw on 2nd and goal from the 20. That doesn't take any of the fault off of Watson for the INT, but if the line hadn't put them in that position, he wouldn't have felt pressure to make a play. Add to that the hold on the next kickoff by Eddie Pleasant, while it wouldn't have changed much, the score could have looked better than it did.

* I'll say it again, AJ Bouye didn't show that he should have been paid like he was, but his presence is missed in the Texans secondary.

* Just give up on being a 3-4 defense. This team is built more like a hybrid 4-3 than a 3-4. Get Clowney closer to the line. For that matter, just go with 4-2-5 with Clowney, Reader, Watt, Mercilus up front, Cunningham and McKinney at LB and KJax as the LB/S hybrid. That masks the lack of depth at LB and limits the amount of time that Jackson has to play with his back to the QB which is where he sucks.

* I'm with Apollo, cut Prosch already. He doesn't bring enough to the team to warrant the spot he holds up. Get a TE that can block and catch and put him in when you need a FB. I don't care that they just signed Prosch, it's ridiculous already. Gerald Christian, Jacob Tamme, Larry Donnell and Gary Barnidge are currently FAs.

Overall, I still don't think it was as world ending as everyone acts, but there's a LOT that needs help. Rick Smith needs to fix the Duane Brown situation right now, get some WR and TEs on the roster. Cut Jordan Todman to do it. Miller, Foreman, Blue (if healthy) and Ervin are plenty with Ervin helping in the slot. If they can find a big WR/TE hybrid like Stephen Anderson, they can line that guy up in either spot. Dorial Green Beckham? ( I know he's an idiot, but he'd fit the profile)

There were bright spots in a game with a lot of bad. Part of me says to give Savage the game plan and the start Thursday night, but give Watson a 95/5 split on the reps to prepare for being the starter week 3 and on. Hope that the Bengals are bad enough that Savage can pull out a win like last year knowing that you might have to yank him again, but the team needs to be told that DW4 is the starter now but he can't be expected to take over on a short week. The other part of me doesn't want to see Tom Savage take another snap as a Texan unless it's to seal a blowout.

Archived