Week 1 Jacksonville @ Houston GDT

lumberjackchris

6 minutes ago, mse326 said:

And that (non) intercepted pass is what those that said he needs time were talking about. A weird indecision double pump and then an inaccurate pass. He has pluses and minuses, let's not crown him on one drive.

Yes, Savage looked terrible, and I'm not saying he's the answer. But I'm also not convinced that putting Watson behind this line and say learn while running for your life is going to work. I actually think it'll impede the learning process of what he needs to work on.

I'll take that over Savage.

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Well he just did something Savage hasnt done in his career and thats throw  TD. 

That doesn't counter what I said. You talk about growing pains, but sometimes the team has to undergo growing pains. I don't think Watson is actually going to be able to learn and benefit if he is constantly running for life. What he needs to work on is reading defenses, footwork, accuracy from the pocket. None of that will happen here. He can definitely make some plays and is a very good improviser when the play breaks down, but that isn't what he needs to improve on and all he'll be doing.

I think we'd be better off suffering a bit with Savage while we give Watson at least some time working on his deficiencies rather than just on the upcoming week. That gives him the best chance to be the QB we need and want. And ultimately that is what we should be looking to do.

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That doesn't counter what I said. You talk about growing pains, but sometimes the team has to undergo growing pains. I don't think Watson is actually going to be able to learn and benefit if he is constantly running for life. What he needs to work on is reading defenses, footwork, accuracy from the pocket. None of that will happen here. He can definitely make some plays and is a very good improviser when the play breaks down, but that isn't what he needs to improve on and all he'll be doing.

I think we'd be better off suffering a bit with Savage while we give Watson at least some time working on his deficiencies rather than just on the upcoming week. That gives him the best chance to be the QB we need and want. And ultimately that is what we should be looking to do.

I would agree with your last paragraph if O'Brien wasnt fighting for his job and if we were tanking. Unfortunately either one is not true. O'Brien should put the best QB that gives him the best chance to win, and right now that is Watson given the state of our offense and OL.  You dont trade a future 1 and move up to pick and not play him. Savage isnt anything special. 

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That doesn't counter what I said. You talk about growing pains, but sometimes the team has to undergo growing pains. I don't think Watson is actually going to be able to learn and benefit if he is constantly running for life

I actually think Watson's learning curve is one of those that's increased with live fire. Not getting this? Probably worse for him. We saw this at Clemson when he had to start after Chad Kelly was kicked off the team.

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

What he needs to work on is reading defenses, footwork, accuracy from the pocket. None of that will happen here. He can definitely make some plays and is a very good improviser when the play breaks down, but that isn't what he needs to improve on and all he'll be doing.

I think these are hard lessons to learn right now, but lessons that AREN'T learned by watching. 

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I'd cut Duane brown. Who wants him back when he's gonna do this crap to us?

Yep, I'm conflicted as well.  If all he wants is next  year guaranteed, then it's a no brainer and Rick is a moron for throwing away games on some stupid principle about not resigning players with 2 years left (except Andre & JJ). On the other hand,  if Brown was back today his $9.4 million is fully guaranteed for 2017 and sorry dude - most LT's would be pretty ok with a job in their 35 year old season even at $9.8 non-guaranteed in 2018.  Right now he's giving up $550k+ per week he's out and already triggered descalator clause.  Dude clearly knows he's got the Texans by the short hairs because Rick hasn't bothered to even replace Derek Newton a year after his career ender, so we get Lamm/Giacomini/Clark which is criminal.  

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't think Watson is actually going to be able to learn and benefit if he is constantly running for life. What he needs to work on is reading defenses, footwork, accuracy from the pocket. None of that will happen here. He can definitely make some plays and is a very good improviser when the play breaks down, but that isn't what he needs to improve on and all he'll be doing.

Are you suggesting he would learn those things from sitting on the bench? He will improve those things in practice whether he is starting or not. 

Chad Kelly never started over him. 

Archived