FA 2020

drfrey13

58 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

It's also a generalization. Assuming you have every roster spot filled and will be cutting someone to make room for the rookie.

Not it's just that only the top 51 highest cap hit count against the cap so when you sign someone in that 51, another one falls out of it.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I agree, I would push to sign an UDFA WR or two. Going be NFL WRs undrafted, this WR drat class is deep. 

I really hope we’re very active in the UDFA market.  Especially at WR where there could be guys with 4-5th round grades that go undrafted.  I think a guy like Gabriel Davis would normally go 3rd round will likely go 5th or 6th.  There could be some late round steals too.

Edited by jimkelly02
We should be able to stock the PS with 2 talented, developmental WRs who were UDFAs but could make team in ‘21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Not it's just that only the top 51 highest cap hit count against the cap so when you sign someone in that 51, another one falls out of it.

Assuming you're current cap hit has 51 players counting against it. If you have 7 draft picks and only 43 players under contract. That doesnt ring true. 

14 minutes ago, OG_C2X said:

Assuming you're current cap hit has 51 players counting against it. If you have 7 draft picks and only 43 players under contract. That doesnt ring true. 

Teams will always have in excess of that as they work towards the 90 man roster for training camp. It's why the top 51 contracts rule exists. To my understanding it is only in effect from the start of the new league year to the 53 man cut off.

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kevin-white?id=2552422

would you give this guy a camp invite? has the tools, at a position of need. No character issues, just bad luck with injuries.

“If only he could stay healthy”!  But the reality if he’ll never be healthy.  I’m totally cool with taking fliers of guys who didn’t work with one team, but once they don’t work out for 2 teams the percentage chance of them working out for us is a near Zero.  The best way I can put it is by year 3 in Chicago there was a 1/4  (just made up as an example) chance he’d succeed but once he failed in Arizona it’s a 1/4 chance x 1/8 chance = 1/32 chance. I’m prolly not explaining myself great here.   

he’s played in this many games per year:

0, 4 , 2, 9, 0/cut

He’s not even worth bringing in to look at.  Even if he makes it thru camp healthy the chances of him getting hurt early in the season are still massive.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kevin-white/7207

Let’s just be glad we didn’t draft him over Cooper, lol

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

“If only he could stay healthy”!  But the reality if he’ll never be healthy.  I’m totally cool with taking fliers of guys who didn’t work with one team, but once they don’t work out for 2 teams the percentage chance of them working out for us is a near Zero.  The best way I can put it is by year 3 in Chicago there was a 1/4  (just made up as an example) chance he’d succeed but once he failed in Arizona it’s a 1/4 chance x 1/8 chance = 1/32 chance. I’m prolly not explaining myself great here.   

he’s played in this many games per year:

0, 4 , 2, 9, 0/cut

He’s not even worth bringing in to look at.  Even if he makes it thru camp healthy the chances of him getting hurt early in the season are still massive.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kevin-white/7207

Let’s just be glad we didn’t draft him over Cooper, lol

I don't see how it hurts for a camp invite, could be a nice 5th/6th who could actually be a weapon.  I don't see the harm, injuries set him back. Look at Devante Parker, Dolphins almost dumped him after he kept getting hurt, but finally started to boom last year. I mean it's unlikely, but worth a flier. 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Cap is at 18.8 that’s without Mariota, Apple and Agholor. Would expect Mariota to get about 8-10 million this season. 

Mariota is getting $4-5 million.  If you give him $10 then you are telling Carr he is fighting for his job and the loser is getting cut or shipped out.

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/kevin-white?id=2552422

would you give this guy a camp invite? has the tools, at a position of need. No character issues, just bad luck with injuries.

I do like the idea of going after once highly sought after prospects.  I’ve always felt that there are a ton of UDFA’s that really only get 1 shot to make the team or practice squad and if they don’t they never get another NFL shot.  Or players that had success and then have an injury or off field issue and never get that comeback chance.

Im just pulling one off the top of my head (but I feel it happens the most at WR) but Alex Collins 2 years ago was a hot young RB. Almost 1000yds in ‘17 which was a season where he was cut at the deadline by Seattle and signed to Baltimore’s PS and then in like week 3 signed to their active roster.... and he still got almost to 1000yds. In ‘18 he played well until week 10 when he went to IR.  Then in ‘19 gets cut over marijuana and gun charge.

He’s probably in good shape because Seattle is thinking of signing him:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-interested-in-signing-alex-collins-as-marshawn-lynch-remains-unsure-of-return-per-report/amp/

I think Collins could be a very good backup to Jacobs.

but back to your point, I do think we should look into some Reclamation projects.It’s kinda the Raider way.  These type of guys have a way better chance of making the team then the 6th RB in camp , the UDFA James Butlers of the world ( I do think  he a made the roster (of was it PS?) for a few weeks late in the year)