Draft watch 2020

resilient part 2

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

"Please don't say the example that disproves my point."

You got it.

I said when is the last time the Cowboys drafted a STUD DT.  I didn't say when is the last time the Cowboys addressed the position with a premium pick.  You responded with they used their first pick in 2019.  So according to you Trysten Hill is a stud DT.  Got it cherry picker.

59 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

It was 2nd round though.

Unless you spend a first round pick on a position, you don't value it?

But anyway, this whole conversation has devolved. Northland went on a tirade about how we passed on a stud DT in the 2020 draft. My only point is, that's the future, dude. If you are already getting worked up about a hypothetical future state, you probably aren't going to enjoy the ride.

2 minutes ago, Northland said:

I said when is the last time the Cowboys drafted a STUD DT.  I didn't say when is the last time the Cowboys addressed the position with a premium pick.  You responded with they used their first pick in 2019.  So according to you Trysten Hill is a stud DT.  Got it cherry picker.

LMAO, you said we don't "value" defensive tackles.

Spending a premium pick on a DT proves we value the position, whether or not the player turns out to be good. Unless you are arguing that we *so* undervalue the position that we try to throw away premium picks on crappy players.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Unless you spend a first round pick on a position, you don't value it?

But anyway, this whole conversation has devolved. Northland went on a tirade about how we passed on a stud DT in the 2020 draft. My only point is, that's the future, dude. If you are already getting worked up about a hypothetical future state, you probably aren't going to enjoy the ride.

I stopped enjoying the ride years ago. I am resolved to the state of mediocrity that we live in. 

Just now, Northland said:

I stopped enjoying the ride years ago. I am resolved to the state of mediocrity that we live in. 

This is a funny frame to me that a lot of Cowboys fans seem to share. Why watch every Sunday and spend so many hours of your life discussing it on a message board, if you don't enjoy Cowboys football? 

I'd have quit years ago if that's how I felt.

2 hours ago, Northland said:

When is the last time we drafted a stud DT?  Please don't say Hill.  As an organization we don't value the position.  So track record/history says will say we will pass on DT.  Perhaps a new regime will think differently.

Looks like I said both.   I will stand by my position that we don't value the position.  

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is a funny frame to me that a lot of Cowboys fans seem to share. Why watch every Sunday and spend so many hours of your life discussing it on a message board, if you don't enjoy Cowboys football? 

I don't watch every Sunday.  I've cut way back.  If I'm home and they are on I'll watch.  Life in fall and winter doesn't revolve around them anymore.  I enjoy the forum.  Like today.  Not working so I'm on the forum.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I gave up enjoying years ago. Now I watch to win money. You know, you all scoff at my "fixed" theory, but I the past 5 years I am coming out of the season significantly ahead betting wise.

And it's this theory that works. Not always and not every week, you have to watch the ebb and flow of the games, the "omg it's a miracle" crap that they shovel when a team has no business even being on the same field as the other team yet they pull of the "miracle" win.

I will give you 2 examples from the past 2 weeks.

Dallas vs Iggles. Dallas looked like ish for 3 weeks with no logical explanation why, then they thump the Rams. All the while Philly is making these last second wins and barely hanging on. Any 1 loss and their season is over.

Ohhhh the drama of it all.

So, Dallas inexplicably thumps last year's SB rep much in the way they beat us, monster yards on the ground, stopping their running game, Dak playing great.

Then on Tuesaday, not after the game, not during the game, not Monday, Dak's arm is injured.

Perfect excuse for such a poor outing against Philly. Dallas was favored by 2 and a half.

This was a stone cold lock! Easy money. Philly was going to win out right. I called it a week prior to the game.

It was like free money.

Second game. Miami vs NE. The beneficiary would be KC. If NE lost an improbable loss to the lowley Dolphins and KC wins, they get the bye.

If you noticed all year there have been murmurs about NE being done, Brady retiring, etc.

This took some stones, but I believe it is big Reds year. KC will represent in the SB.

So, bet Miami and even if they didn't win, you had points to cover. Still took stones, but I took Miami. Happy New Year to me.

Now, this week. We all saw the Sunday night game: 1st and goal from the inch line, let's stand around and take 5 yards back. Huh!!!???

This isn't Garrett, this is Carroll, who won a SB and went to another.

You mean to tell me with the division on the line no one was watching the clock??? Not the players, the coaches, the guys in the booth, no one!

Ok, ok, let's say it happens.

3rd and goal. Clear PI, again not called, not booth reviewed, nothing. Just keep playing. WTF is the purpose of having booth review if you don't use it in that situation?

I'll tell you. To keep the fans happy, to make it seem like they made up for that egrigious non call last year in the NFCCG.

Okay, so what does all this mean?

Out with the old, in with the new. Philly will beat Seattle on Sunday. The league wants to sell Wentz as a top tier QB. They need a new face. Wentz needs a playoff win or two to gain credibility.

2nd overall pick, team won a SB without him, etc.

Seattle is the sacrificial lamb this Sunday.

And if Philly goes to GB, they very well may win that one.

So, there it is. That is why I watch. And I'm a richer man for it today.

You see, it's like a game. They take away the game I love and replace it with a form of professional wrestling, so I use my "knowledge" of the game, look for obvious wins and collect.

Happy New Year all. 🎊🎉🎆🎇🥃

Edited by Rtnldave

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I gave up enjoying years ago. Now I watch to win money. You know, you all scoff at my "fixed" theory, but I the past 5 years I am coming out of the season significantly ahead betting wise.

And it's this theory that works. Not always and not every week, you have to watch the ebb and flow of the games, the "omg is a miracle" crap that they shovel when a team has no business even being on the same field as the other team yet they pull of the "miracle" win.

Dallas vs Iggles. Dallas looked like ish for 3 weeks with no logical explanation why, then they thump the Rams. All the while Philly is making these last second wins and barely hanging on. Any 1 loss and their season is over.

So, Dallas inexplicably thumps last year's SB rep much in the way they beat us, mister yards on the ground, stopping their running game, Dak playing great.

Then on Tuesaday, not after the game, not during the game, not Monday, Dak's arm is injured.

Perfect excuse for such a poor outing against Philly. Dallas was favored by 2 and a half.

This was a stone cold lock! Easy money. Philly was going to win out right. I called it a week prior to the game.

It was like free money.

Second game. Miami vs NE. The beneficiary would be KC. If NE lost an improbable loss to the lowley Dolphins and KC wins, they get the bye.

If you noticed all year there have been murmurs about NE being done, Brady retiring, etc.

This took some stones, but I believe it is big Reds year. KC will represent in the SB.

So, bet Miami and even if they didn't win, you had points to cover. Still took stones, but I took Miami. Happy New Year to me.

Now, this week. We all saw the Sunday night game: 1st and goal from the inch line, let's stand around and take 5 yards back. Huh!!!???

You mean to tell me with the division on the line no one was watching the clock??? Not the players, the coaches, the guys in the booth, no one!

3rd and goal. Clear PI, again not called, not booth reviewed, nothing. Just keep playing. WTF is the purpose of having booth review if you don't use it in that situation?

I'll tell you. To keep the fans happy, to make it seem like they made up for that egrigious non call last year in the NFCCG.

Out with the old, in with the new. Philly will beat Seattle on Sunday. The league wants to sell Wentz as a top tier QB. They need a new face. Wentz needs a playoff win or two to gain credibility.

You see, it's like a game. They take away the game I love and replace it with a form of professional wrestling, so I use my "knowledge" of the game, look for obvious wins and collect.

Curious, under your theory. Why hasn't the league rewarded one of the top marketing and money making teams with better success? I may have answered my own question....as in why reward the Cowboys.....there a money maker regardless.

But I'd still like your take on it.

6 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

And it's this theory that works. Not always and not every week, you have to watch the ebb and flow of the games, the "omg it's a miracle" crap that they shovel when a team has no business even being on the same field as the other team yet they pull of the "miracle" win.

So, Dallas inexplicably thumps last year's SB rep much in the way they beat us, monster yards on the ground, stopping their running game, Dak playing great.

It was like free money.

Wow, this was exhausting.

One follow up question, if it’s fixed, why do you get worked up about any decision Jerry ever makes? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Curious, under your theory. Why hasn't the league rewarded one of the top marketing and money making teams with better success? I may have answered my own question....as in why reward the Cowboys.....there a money maker regardless.

But I'd still like your take on it.

Not sure exactly, but the closest I can come is Paradoy. They like to rotate who gets a trophy every so many years. Teams that where perennials: Oakland, Dallas, Washington, Miami, San Francisco (this year aside), can't seem to get close in the last 25 years. What 1, maybe 2 appearances, but no trophies.

Laughing stocks like TB, Sea, Philly, Ariz, NO, Indy, have all been to or won a SB.

Of course there are always exceptions like Det, Clev, Jax. It's not a perfect science and I haven't been able to isolate any real pattern. There for a while, about 15 years ago it was the team that got a new stadium was miraculously in or winning a SB.

ATL, ARIZ, PHILLY, BALT, TB, SEA, but again, teams like Det and Dal got new stadiums and no SB.

But try looking at the games thru the lens of pro wrestling and see what you come up with. It shouldn't be too hard during the playoffs. Watch the easy non calls, the suspect calls and the obvious poor play of accomplished players. I'm not talking about having a bad game, I'm talking about OBVIOUS bad play like Russell Wilson on Sunday night's game. Over throwing wide open TE for a TD, taking a 5 yard penalty when all they needed was 6 inches, stuff like that.

39 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Not sure exactly, but the closest I can come is Paradoy. They like to rotate who gets a trophy every so many years. Teams that where perennials: Oakland, Dallas, Washington, Miami, San Francisco (this year aside), can't seem to get close in the last 25 years. What 1, maybe 2 appearances, but no trophies.

Laughing stocks like TB, Sea, Philly, Ariz, NO, Indy, have all been to or won a SB.

Of course there are always exceptions like Det, Clev, Jax. It's not a perfect science and I haven't been able to isolate any real pattern. There for a while, about 15 years ago it was the team that got a new stadium was miraculously in or winning a SB.

ATL, ARIZ, PHILLY, BALT, TB, SEA, but again, teams like Det and Dal got new stadiums and no SB.

But try looking at the games thru the lens of pro wrestling and see what you come up with. It shouldn't be too hard during the playoffs. Watch the easy non calls, the suspect calls and the obvious poor play of accomplished players. I'm not talking about having a bad game, I'm talking about OBVIOUS bad play like Russell Wilson on Sunday night's game. Over throwing wide open TE for a TD, taking a 5 yard penalty when all they needed was 6 inches, stuff like that.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to articulate my thoughts. I'm not word smith like many here. I'm more of a "face to face verbal" guy.

I know and certainly realize you're not bat ish crazy. And I'm old enough to not totally discount anything. I don't trust anyone (just about) or anything.

I can almost/kinda/sorta/maybe accept a little bit of what you got going on. But I do struggle with it. I think my biggest issue with it is how does "one get away with it" with so many having to be in on it.

51 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to articulate my thoughts. I'm not word smith like many here. I'm more of a "face to face verbal" guy.

I know and certainly realize you're not bat ish crazy. And I'm old enough to not totally discount anything. I don't trust anyone (just about) or anything.

I can almost/kinda/sorta/maybe accept a little bit of what you got going on. But I do struggle with it. I think my biggest issue with it is how does "one get away with it" with so many having to be in on it.

It really only takes one. One official, one player, one coach, one owner, just one.

I guess the better question you have to ask yourself is this: how in the world can an organization (the house) arbitrarily pick numbers (handicap/ over under) week in and week out, and by season's end be on top?

They have to come out on top because if they were losing money, big money-not the few hundred I hit for here and there, they would be out of business. 

How is this possible? College and pro alike?

How can anyone predict with accuracy more often than not that one team will win or cover by an arbitrary number?

But it happens every year.

If it was all left to chance the law of averages would dictate that the house would lose for a stretch of time, possibly enough to break them.

But that never happens.

There is a movie coming out. I don't know the title but it focuses on Terry Donehue, I think that's how he spells it, a former NBA official who was caught shaving points, sending guys to the free throw line or flat out influencing wins and losses for bets being placed by members of the NY mafia.

He claims there were 2 other NBA officials and 1 NFL official they had on the payroll.

You know, the thing that really bothers me the most is that the league doesn't even hide it anymore. They make a call, don't make a call, and simply don't care how obvious it is.

And what's worse is we, as fans, are sooooo addicted to this farce that used to be a sport, that we just accept it. We don't question, demand or dare I say, stop watching.

If people as a whole were convinced that the league was not legit and stopped spending money and showing up and let the league know we are no longer interested in this sport because we believe the integrity of the game has been compromised, you would see a lot of this ish go away and the "sport" may just return.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Wow, this was exhausting.

One follow up question, if it’s fixed, why do you get worked up about any decision Jerry ever makes? 

Because I believe he is a reason we don't get the calls or the breaks. I believe the league is keeping us down because of him.

Don't forget, way back when we were winning SBs how he got deals done with Pepsi and other organisations that were in contrast to the cba. 

Jerry did a great many things his way and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Need more proof? 

The league is setting an example by punishing poor conduct in players.

Zeke gets 6 games last year, yet Joe Mixon-seen on camera shattering a girls face in 7 places- is eligible for the draft,his drafted and playing without any punishment or grace period of any kind. I get it happened in college and it was years ago.

But Zeke gets levied a third of a season on an accusation, Mixon walks right in?

A bit contradictory don't you think?

I will admit, this way of thinking is a bit of a stretch and I do have a personal stake in it as a Cowboys fan, but I have no other answer as to why we just NEVER get the calls in big games. 

Also, I guess part of me still wants to believe that I could enjoy the game as a fan again. But then I see a game like Sunday night's or last year's NFCCG and my intelligence is insulted.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Edited by Rtnldave