5down

3rivers

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not a Moncreif fan,  but they need to actually use him correctly. 

Bryant and Coates were not good receivers either, but their strengths help the entire process. 

He shouldn’t see a route lower than a 6 on the tree. 

Agree to an extent. He is the popular scapegoat but it's deserved. Those drops were huge. 

41 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Agree to an extent. He is the popular scapegoat but it's deserved. Those drops were huge. 

Oh I 100% agree. But I’m not ready to cut him. I’m ready to use him correctly. 

My main gripe from yesterday is with Fitchner. 

• Like 2

I’m not total doom and gloom like a lot of you, but there were definitely things I’m not happy about. I knew we were going to get blown out, the 🤬NFL stuck it to us again opening in NE when they’re raising another banner so you knew they were going to be pumped up. The thing I have a problem with the most is the lack of a chip on our shoulder we always seem to have. How Tomlin decides it’s better to stick 3 on the board when you’re down 3 TD tells the team you are happy losing as long as it’s not too bad rather than showing confidence you CAN get back in the game and enforce your will on the other team. If you get stopped you tell your D you have faith in them getting you the ball back at midfield and move on. Telling your O you don’t think they can pick it up and prefer keeping it at a 17 point deficit isn’t the attitude this team needs.

Here are a few ups I scraped to find: 

1- O-line was pretty decent in giving Ben time, just need to run some rubs or something to get someone open

2- Connor played well, need to focus on getting him 25 touchs a game

3- I actually thought the D rush played ok ( except Dupree), there was a fair amount of pressure but you need corners that can buy you the extra second you know Brady is moving the ball in 2 seconds 

I won’t go into the downs most have been stated previously, but before I go doom and gloom mode I want to see us play someone other than NE on banner raising night. I will say if Moncreif plays like this next week he needs to sit and get Washington, Johnson and Holman more snaps

• Like 1

I'm with @Dcash4

Moncrief should be used for deep streaking patterns only. Dude's hands are super weak. He can't make contested catches because he's a body catcher, just like Bryant and Coates. Send him streaking down the field, toss it to him, let him make chunk plays. Washington needs to be our #2. He fights for the ball well. I expect pretty big things from Washington this year. He'll overtake Moncrief soon, and we can use him as a possession guy in addition to his deep skills. 

I'm not super concerned with this game. Teams get blown out on week 1 all the time. We need to adjust and get the ship righted and we'll be ok. I think we got way too cute way too much. Like @warfelg pointed out, we should be able to be more physical than we were last night. 

When you are being blown out what is the purpose of leaving your starters in at the end of the game?? Completely irresponsible to let important guys get banged up when the game is out of hand. 

The play calling was atrocious. Tomlin's reason to kick the FG was because he wanted to get something  positive out of it? Give me a freaking break.

Humiliating game in every sense of the word. At least they got this game with New England out of the way.

Not Pressuring Brady AND Not being able to defend passes in the air. Cant have both of those happen.

Tackling wasn't good enough.

Not using the tightend in the redzone, 3rd downs, etc.

I don't think Ben can operate under center anymore. Don't see him doing that anymore. That sux when Wr's can't get open and it removes a lot PA effectiveness.

Overall Softness and unpreparedness and passiveness.

I'm not a fan of the o or d schemes, but it doesn't matter when your that thoroughly dominated and unprepared.

Dropped passes.

Slow to morph into anything that can contend with that team other than some tweeks it seems.

Oh, Running game was virtually nonexistent.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet. Coming out and trying to beat the Pats on their home field the night they unveil their 6th super bowl banner is no easy task. If we are the like the Ravens and instead our 1st game of the season is against Miami and Ben throws 5 touchdowns (could easily happen when we play them) then we are having a completely different discussion. And I bet the Ravens would have gotten a beat down if they were put in the situation that we were last night. The Pats are freaking good and unless a team gets lucky and knocks them off in one of the two games they play in the playoffs, they are probably going for their 7th Lombardi this year. AB being a part of that ride only adds salt to the wound.

But these are my observations from last night:

- Moncrief does not deserve to be anything more than the 4th WR right now. Give me JuJu, Johnson, and Washington. I personally would bring Rodgers back if I was running the team. I'm not against 1 year Dez Bryant rental either

- Stop getting cute with Samuels. I understand we want to preserve Conner for the season, but we need to feed him and get him in a rhythm.

- Why the &*^(*& is Chickillo seeing the field???? This was one of my biggest frustrations of the night. He looked absolutely terrible every time he was in. Has Ola not earned an opportunity over him? We need to see what #92 can do for us because Dupree looked awful and Chik is just a lesser athletic version of Dupree. 

- Mark Barron low key had a really bad game. So frustrating to watch them repeatedly match him up 1v1 with James White and just get toasted. Brady just had an absolute field day against Butler. 

All of this being said, I think this is a good wake up call for the team. The Seahawks who struggled with the Bengals at home, now have to travel across country to play us in Hienz field for a 1pm game. The Seahawks defense is much improved but Ben can hang some points on them at home and they don't have anyone who can completely take JuJu out of the game like the Pats do. After that we have the Bengals at home which should be a winnable game as well, especially if Joe Mixon misses the game. 

If could be heading to LA week 4 for a primetime game, which will essentially be a home game even though it is on the west coast with a 2-1 record. 

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

My only problem with people who call for Tomlin's head.....0 word on how other coaches are involved in the entire operation.

Sort of like how you have 0 word on how Tomlin is responsible for those other coaches being here and what roles they have on the team. This is his coaching staff.

Mike Tomlin will never go into Foxborough and win a game against Brady/Belichick. Let alone a meaningful game. He can't even make it competitive/not a complete humiliation.

There's almost nothing to take from this game. Is the sky falling on offense? Who knows because we've seen inferior Pats defenses shut the Steelers down. Even when they had Antonio Brown.

4 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Sort of like how you have 0 word on how Tomlin is responsible for those other coaches being here and what roles they have on the team. This is his coaching staff.

You've proven a few times you don't really know how coaching staffs operate because you think Tomlin alone does the entire prep.  It's on all coaches not just one.

5 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet. Coming out and trying to beat the Pats on their home field the night they unveil their 6th super bowl banner is no easy task. If we are the like the Ravens and instead our 1st game of the season is against Miami and Ben throws 5 touchdowns (could easily happen when we play them) then we are having a completely different discussion. And I bet the Ravens would have gotten a beat down if they were put in the situation that we were last night. The Pats are freaking good and unless a team gets lucky and knocks them off in one of the two games they play in the playoffs, they are probably going for their 7th Lombardi this year. AB being a part of that ride only adds salt to the wound.

But these are my observations from last night:

- Moncrief does not deserve to be anything more than the 4th WR right now. Give me JuJu, Johnson, and Washington. I personally would bring Rodgers back if I was running the team. I'm not against 1 year Dez Bryant rental either

- Stop getting cute with Samuels. I understand we want to preserve Conner for the season, but we need to feed him and get him in a rhythm.

- Why the &*^(*& is Chickillo seeing the field???? This was one of my biggest frustrations of the night. He looked absolutely terrible every time he was in. Has Ola not earned an opportunity over him? We need to see what #92 can do for us because Dupree looked awful and Chik is just a lesser athletic version of Dupree. 

- Mark Barron low key had a really bad game. So frustrating to watch them repeatedly match him up 1v1 with James White and just get toasted. Brady just had an absolute field day against Butler. 

All of this being said, I think this is a good wake up call for the team. The Seahawks who struggled with the Bengals at home, now have to travel across country to play us in Hienz field for a 1pm game. The Seahawks defense is much improved but Ben can hang some points on them at home and they don't have anyone who can completely take JuJu out of the game like the Pats do. After that we have the Bengals at home which should be a winnable game as well, especially if Joe Mixon misses the game. 

If could be heading to LA week 4 for a primetime game, which will essentially be a home game even though it is on the west coast with a 2-1 record. 

Chickilo... ALL-STAR

Switzer.... ALL-STAR

You just lost Skipper... because you have a need for an ALL-STAR

Keep this in mind. You know Chickilo sucks. Good. He is scheduled to have a cap hit of over $6m next year. Or the Ole' Skipper. At $500k. 

Which would you prefer? 

P.S. - Ryan Switzer... still an ALL-STAR

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

That's....not optimal.  Zone play that the Pats easily exposed.

Bud Dupree has the agility of an elephant. Look at that 3 cone. Or any play he is stuck in quicksand. Yanno. The elite OT's have a better 3 cone than him. And they carry 60-80 more pounds. No wonder you can't get by them, Snowflake. How is he ever covering Edelman? This is the epitome of Keith Butler. Someone needs to have a brain on defense and say - NO. And then shuffle everyone around. 

I was actually thinking Tuitt at LDE. Hargrave and Heyward up the gut. And TJ Watt as the RDE. Bud shouldn't even see the field. That's our best rotation. Although, I am inclined to watch us burn. So, maybe we can get rid of the court jester, Tomlin.

And still, the ole' Skipper. It's just frustrating. He was good. Anthony Chickilo..... the human highlight reel