Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

25 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

His regression is what's sad/frustrating.  If he was like this from the jump that's one thing but a lot of this stuff he was better with his first few years than he is now. Remember when he was consistently going through his progressions and throwing those "no look" passes back in 2016. *sigh*

Whether it's due to the injuries or how he was coached by Mularkey and company, it's tough to watch a once promising QB appear to be damaged goods.

And yet, I still haven't abandoned ship on him. However, for the first time since we drafted him, I'm looking overboard into the water.

• Like 2

Just now, Kookie23 said:

We aren't a 1-4 team unless something just collapses 

Yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if we're 5-1 going in to the game against the Chargers.

Mariota is not good, but he's also not usually as bad as he was yesterday. If we get regular Mariota, actually commit to the run game, and the D holds steady, we're better than the next 4 teams we play. The biggest issue having to be @ Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if we're 5-1 going in to the game against the Chargers.

Mariota is not good, but he's also not usually as bad as he was yesterday. If we get regular Mariota, actually commit to the run game, and the D holds steady, we're better than the next 4 teams we play. The biggest issue having to be @ Atlanta.

Seeing whether or not the coaching staff understands where they ****ed up yesterday on Thursday will be telling.  

Edited by Kookie23

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

If we aren't 1-4 then I'd see. No reason to bench him. If we are winning. We just win ugly and let him walk. 

I'm still not even sure if we should let him walk.  I keep clinging to the idea we could pull off something similar to what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith/Mahomes

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Mike Keith said the same in a way. 

Saying the team did things they don't normally do. The missed FG. Allowing a 50 yard run. Unable to finish a sack. Coaching mistakes. And Marcus mistake on the spike. .

It makes a difference. People think those are excuse for Marcus. But it's more of a reason for the loss. 

Those are correctable mistakes. We can tackle better. We can make FGs. We can get better situational football. And those corrections can led to wins despite the feelings about Marcus. 

1 minute ago, Kookie23 said:

I'm still not even sure if we should let him walk.  I keep clinging to the idea we could pull off something similar to what the Chiefs did with Alex Smith/Mahomes

Might just use Tannehill to fill that role. Marcus might cost too much to retain. I think he would be in demand on the open market. 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If we aren't 1-4 then I'd see. No reason to bench him. If we are winning. We just win ugly and let him walk. 

Yep, that's how you lose a team.

No matter what we or the media thinks, if the team truly feels he's their guy (which they've all come out and said publicly), then you can't make a QB switch if we're winning. And it'd be even more of a disaster if Tannehill comes in and plays worse than Mariota.

16 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

His regression is what's sad/frustrating.  If he was like this from the jump that's one thing but a lot of this stuff he was better with his first few years than he is now. Remember when he was consistently going through his progressions and throwing those "no look" passes back in 2016. *sigh*

Whether it's due to the injuries or how he was coached by Mularkey and company, it's tough to watch a once promising QB appear to be damaged goods.

And yet, I still haven't abandoned ship on him. However, for the first time since we drafted him, I'm looking overboard into the water.

I feel ya. 

Like. "how deep is that water actually?'

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Every time?!?!  How about just once in a while?  Agholor is a 3rd or 4th WR in that offense this year.  How many times do you not think Jefferey or Ertz have helped Wentz out.  Davis has gone up and gotten passes from Mariota... but it's far from a common occurance.  Yet every game around the league, you see guys making play after play for their QB.  This Agholor one stood out as I saw it live last night... thinking if that was MAriota, it probably would have been dropped... and he would have been called a bad QB for missing a wide open WR so badly. 

Sharpe made a good hands catch on the sideline just yesterday. We have guys making plays. They just didn't make that play.

Watching a NFL game live you'll see a lot of people make good plays and it might be the only one they make that season. That's considered anecdotal evidence to support an argument. Guys like Hopkins are the exception and few teams have one. 

Mariota is not the only QB in the NFL who deals with drops. He just happens to be one of the poorer performing ones and it's being used as an excuse despite his many other issues at the moment.

Him sailing balls over people's heads too frequently is probably the smallest issue I have with him at the moment. He has got to figure out how to see the field and react. It's year 5 and it looks like year 1. 

6 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Sharpe made a good hands catch on the sideline just yesterday. We have guys making plays. They just didn't make that play.

Watching a NFL game live you'll see a lot of people make good plays and it might be the only one they make that season. That's considered anecdotal evidence to support an argument. Guys like Hopkins are the exception and few teams have one. 

Mariota is not the only QB in the NFL who deals with drops. He just happens to be one of the poorer performing ones and it's being used as an excuse despite his many other issues at the moment.

Him sailing balls over people's heads too frequently is probably the smallest issue I have with him at the moment. He has got to figure out how to see the field and react. It's year 5 and it looks like year 1. 

He threw a good pass as he scrambled to his left.  All Sharpe had to worry about was bringing both feet down in bounds.  It's a pretty standard play. 

He does need to see the field better and make those pre snap reads better.  I actually thought he was at his best yesterday in the no huddle... where he gets to the LOS, reads the defense and makes the call.  We got away from that too... but to me that was when he was at his best yesterday.  He did call a run play into a stacked box that I thought was a bad decision, but they seemed to get into a good rhythm...

1 minute ago, ragevsuall17 said:

He threw a good pass as he scrambled to his left.  All Sharpe had to worry about was bringing both feet down in bounds.  It's a pretty standard play. 

He does need to see the field better and make those pre snap reads better.  I actually thought he was at his best yesterday in the no huddle... where he gets to the LOS, reads the defense and makes the call.  We got away from that too... but to me that was when he was at his best yesterday.  He did call a run play into a stacked box that I thought was a bad decision, but they seemed to get into a good rhythm...

The stretch yesterday where we were getting to the line quick but just calling a play from a normal speed was definitely when our offense functioned it’s best. Not true hurry up, I’m sure Arthur Smith was still calling plays, but it wears down a defense and prevents substitutions.