Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m going to wait until we have our actual left tackle back before I accept that this is our offense. We’re constantly leaving in seven blockers and running two or three man routes because we have a backup RT at LT and a UDFA at RG. If this is still the role we’re asking him to play in Week 8, I’ll be more than open to talking about a change.

Though I think you can win 10 or 11 games with a game manager at QB, riding Henry and the defense. Like I said last week after the win, I still don’t believe we spent a second on a receiver and paid Humphries good money for this to be the final version of the offense.

And Deshaun Watson takes a beating every year so does Cam Newton Russell Wilson & Andrew Luck & still make plays, still can carry an offense on their back. A good QB find ways to get it done period. The guy can’t go through his progression, he has terrible awareness. & doesn’t have a mental clock. Face reality I’ve seen enough he doesn’t have it. 

Just now, TitanRedd said:

And Deshaun Watson takes a beating every year so does Cam Newton Russell Wilson & Andrew Luck & still make plays, still can carry an offense on their back. A good QB find ways to get it done period. The guy can’t go through his progression, he has terrible awareness. & doesn’t have a mental clock. Face reality I’ve seen enough he doesn’t have it. 

Deshaun Watson was outplayed by Gardner Minshew today.

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

There's zero point in defending Marcus Mariota at this point. He isn't the only reason we lost this game, but he's absolutely one of the reasons. There is a reason he is being focused on over the other reasons after this loss.

Coaching was terrible today, but overall something we don't expect to hold us back week to week. 

Tackling was atrocious, but we have a very good defense for the second straight year and they were limited to 19 points. Not something you expect to hold us back week to week.

Penalties were costly, but we were one of the least penalized teams under Vrabel. Not something we expect to see each week.

Drops can't keep happening. The people who had issues dropping the ball last year are gone. Today's drops were by Walker (x2 I think) and Brown. Not guys we expect to have drops holding us back week to week.

I expect Marcus Mariota to hold the team back week to week. That's the difference.

You are correct, you can't defend Marcus. But I think it's perfectly find to attack the idea that he is to blame for the loss. 

He isn't a franchise QB. He isn't an elite QB. He won't be either of those in this system or for this team.
Looking around the league there aren't many franchise guys. There are some great system QBs where it matches perfectly with the skill/coach/QB. (Rams Goff).

This offense today reminded me eerily of the Vince Young era and everyone knows how much I hated that time frame.  
I like Marcus and I enjoy more than anyone when he plays well. But I would cut him at the bye week if he continues to make me think of Vince Young led offenses.  

If we had an elite QB then yep, we'd be top of the league with this squad. But without one, we are middle of the road. 
Just like the Colts are without Luck. If Luck was playing today, we lose by 40, the way our offense played. Brissett processes slowly and had takes sacks. He had a game pretty much like Marcus, except he turned the ball over and his playmakers made a play for him (similar to how Henry and AJ Brown made plays for Marcus last week.)

Looking at the Saints struggle to get 10 points without Brees right now, seeing how Colts offense looked like a shell of who they were last year (Giving up sacks and turning the ball over) and other examples around the league it is clear we don't have an elite QB nor do we have a coaching staff that thinks he is good enough to put the ball in his hands more. 

With that said, we are going to be slogging through the year going up and down and looking for another QB at the end of the season. Unless they open it up when Lewan comes back, which i doubt. We still will have issues up the middle.

6 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Not a great group to use as example today...
Newton carries nothing. 
Outside of Wilson all might be out the league within the next 5 years if they keep "carrying" their offense like they have.  We saw what happened to Luck. 

I’ll say this, if you want to move on from Mariota, you better have a real plan. Because I’ve seen Minnesota fully guarantee a contract for a bad QB, I’ve seen Jacksonville give Nick Foles big money, the Broncos traded actual assets for the corpse of Joe Flacco. We’re not going to pick high and competent, veteran quarterbacks are almost never available. And I’m not ready to watch a tanking team again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Not a great group to use as example today...
Newton carries nothing. 
Outside of Wilson all might be out the league within the next 5 years if they keep "carrying" their offense like they have.  We saw what happened to Luck. 

When you get through Can Newton has carried his team to the super bowl has been a MVP Luck is the titans Daddy & he without a OL was elite, my point since you want to be so technical is that I’m tired of making excuses for a QB that doesn’t have it. You either can ball or you can’t & marcus can’t, if you need everything working in your favor to succeed as a QB that should tell you something. 

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Part me feels like you hope he does.. :)

Wrong because part of me actually want Marcus to turn it around & make me eat crow because if you go back before the season started I said this would be his best season as a pro & that we can win with Marcus & how you don’t need a franchise QB but high level game manager. I’ve defend mariota far too long it’s just time to face facts. He’s trash its yr 5 & he still doesn’t know how to get rid of the ball or have the mental awareness to understand the importance of field position & momentum 

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

When you get through Can Newton has carried his team to the super bowl has been a MVP Luck is the titans Daddy & he without a OL was elite, my point since you want to be so technical is that I’m tired of making excuses for a QB that doesn’t have it. You either can ball or you can’t & marcus can’t, if you need everything working in your favor to succeed as a QB that should tell you something. 

Offense runs/ran though those guys too. 
Just because I don't feel like thinking too hard of a more recent example.....

It's like comparing Dilfer led Ravens to a Manning led Colts. 
Team doesn't run through Marcus. If they are building it that way, they do need the supporting cast to be better and greater. I think we agree there. 

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’ll say this, if you want to move on from Mariota, you better have a real plan. Because I’ve seen Minnesota fully guarantee a contract for a bad QB, I’ve seen Jacksonville give Nick Foles big money, the Broncos traded actual assets for the corpse of Joe Flacco. We’re not going to pick high and competent, veteran quarterbacks are almost never available. And I’m not ready to watch a tanking team again.

Guess we can trade for someone like Brian Hoyer?
Sign Teddy Bridgewater? I'm sure he will elevate this team? Can't seem to score 10 points with Saints weapons that Brees routinely breaks the scoreboard with...
Resign Tannehill. I'm sure that excites everyone.
Trade our whole draft for the next few years for Tua (who gets hurt in college, so yea thats cool.)
Go back to Oregon and get another QB that personally I'm not that impressed with.
Jake Fromm from Georgia might not be any better than Drew Locke.

And I'm not even really saying keep Marcus at this point either....

11 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Wrong because part of me actually want Marcus to turn it around & make me eat crow because if you go back before the season started I said this would be his best season as a pro & that we can win with Marcus & how you don’t need a franchise QB but high level game manager. I’ve defend mariota far too long it’s just time to face facts. He’s trash its yr 5 & he still doesn’t know how to get rid of the ball or have the mental awareness to understand the importance of field position & momentum 

Cool beans. 
I've seen trash and I'm sure you have too. I don't think he is that.  But we aren't playing up to where we should be.

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Offense runs/ran though those guys too. 
Just because I don't feel like thinking too hard of a more recent example.....

It's like comparing Dilfer led Ravens to a Manning led Colts. 
Team doesn't run through Marcus. If they are building it that way, they do need the supporting cast to be better and greater. I think we agree there. 

You can’t build a offense through a guy who can’t make all the throws & is limited reading a defense. Prime ex Alex smith look how the 49ers offense was with him at QB compared to kap. Alex was good but he couldn’t carry a offense he could get the team over the hump, so bam kap get the keys & what happened they build the offense towards kap strength. Pistol, running the option RPO’S. Okay fast forward Alex smith & the Chiefs again Alex very solid was good but couldn’t carry the offense, couldn’t get em over the hump so boom Pat Mahomes & you can’t tell me the offense isn’t built around Pat mahomes they attack teams vertically. 

You cant build a offense around Mariota because he can’t play in the pocket inconsistent as a passer. You spend a 5th overall pick on a WR, you spend 36 mill on a slot WR & you barely use in the game plan. Why because your QB is limited as a passer therefore you have to simplify receivers route trees within the offense.