Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

4 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

You can’t build a offense through a guy who can’t make all the throws & is limited reading a defense. Prime ex Alex smith look how the 49ers offense was with him at QB compared to kap. Alex was good but he couldn’t carry a offense he could get the team over the hump, so bam kap get the keys & what happened they build the offense towards kap strength. Pistol, running the option RPO’S. Okay fast forward Alex smith & the Chiefs again Alex very solid was good but couldn’t carry the offense, couldn’t get em over the hump so boom Pat Mahomes & you can’t tell me the offense isn’t built around Pat mahomes they attack teams vertically. 

You cant build a offense around Mariota because he can’t play in the pocket inconsistent as a passer. You spend a 5th overall pick on a WR, you spend 36 mill on a slot WR & you barely use in the game plan. Why because your QB is limited as a passer therefore you have to simplify receivers route trees within the offense. 

Only time I've seen us build an offense around Marcus  was the Whiz years.  Statistically he was doing well, just was getting killed because of the way the team was built and Whiz's refusal to adjust to a poor online that consisted of Warmack, Byron Bell, Looney and Poutasui I believe. 
If you are being honest with yourself, we've never had an offense that ran through him. 
Now if he can't do it or team doesn't think he is capable, then they are the idiots for holding on to him. But their actions say they think he is a good QB.

If they think he is limited as a passer, i refuse to think they would have made the moves they have. They had the chance to walk away from him after the 4th year. Chance to put Tannehill as the starter or even open it up to competition. Had the chance to draft QBs that ultimately would have been busts likely, if you look at who was there when we picked. 
Their actions say they think he can be a good passer in this league. 

The Mariota stuff has been discussed ad nauseam.

The fact that we drafted the ringleader of one the most successful offensive systems in college football history, and never built an offense around his strengths will forever bother me. I'm envious of how the Texans changed their offense around the playstyle/strengths of Watson, or the Cardinals currently with Murray, or even the Ravens with Jackson. Instead of building something somewhat similar to Oregon, we went antithesis of that with Mularkey/Robiskie offense. I mean, we had/have one of the slowest skill position groups, when at Oregon he was surrounded by nothing but speed. The Chiefs perfected that with players they've surrounded Mahomes with(and no I am not comparing the two, Mahomes is a whole different animal). Cross sport reference but it's like having Steve Nash and putting him in the grit and grind system.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

The Mariota stuff has been discussed ad nauseam.

The fact that we drafted the ringleader of one the most successful offensive systems in college football history, and never built an offense around his strengths will forever bother me. I'm envious of how the Texans changed their offense around the playstyle/strengths of Watson, or the Cardinals currently with Murray, or even the Ravens with Jackson. Instead of building something somewhat similar to Oregon, we went antithesis of that with Mularkey/Robiskie offense. I mean, we had/have one of the slowest skill position groups, when at Oregon he was surrounded by nothing but speed. The Chiefs perfected that with players they've surrounded Mahomes with(and no I am not comparing the two, Mahomes is a whole different animal). Cross sport reference but it's like having Steve Nash and putting him in the grit and grind system.

Imagine if they brought in Kyler Murray to run a ground and pound offense. 

When I say he career arch of McNair and Mariota are similar, it's eerily similar. 
It wasn't until they finally gave McNair the ball under Dinger that he showed he could be MVP. 
And hearing the stories from Fisher about how they handled McNair and that they finally trusted him to do it...it sounds like what we seeing now. 

And that's what I meant by Franchise DNA a couple posts back. It seems no matter who is the OC, who the QB is or the HC, we can't get over the ground game first approach. 

If you look at the Steelers, they changed their DNA from Bettis and defense to Ben and 4-5 wide. 
Eventually you gotta stop trying to protect the QB from themselves and let them either sink or swim. Marcus plays with floaties on and it's led to him being unsure and unwilling to pull the trigger. 

We signed adam humphries to use him as a blocker

we signed Dion Lewis to run him between the tackles

hell we drafted Michael griffin and wanted him to play corner 

why would we draft marcus Mariota and do anything with him other than run a slow and heavy offense?

not absolving Mariota of his struggles. But we are absolutely incredible at trying to fit square pegs into round holes. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

why would we draft marcus Mariota and do anything with him other than run a slow and heavy offense?

not absolving Mariota of his struggles. But we are absolutely incredible at trying to fit square pegs into round holes. 

We technically drafted griffin to play safety it’s just when he came out of college he could play both corner & safety equally. He was placed at corner because of the Pac-Man suspension & we drafted Lowry who was considered a steal & we had quality depth at safety VS a void at corner. But Lowery Suck bad & then we found Finnegan so fisher put griffin back at safety & move Finnegan as a starter 

12 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

He still can’t read defenses & is inconsistent playing in the pocket 

This has nothing to do with Mariota’s performance today, but I sometimes wonder how many quarterbacks have been dealt a worse hand than Marcus. 

It feels like anything you can do to ruin a young quarterback, we’ve done. Three head coaches. Four offensive coordinators. None of them running a system that even kind of resembled the offense that won him a Heisman.

Subject him to a ton of hits early in his career. Check. Give him bad receivers. Check. Take the ball out of his hands. Check.

People want to talk about him not developing. When in the hell was he supposed to develop? The fundamentals don’t improve in season, that’s work that’s typically done in the offseason. And he spends every offseason learning some new offense that doesn’t fit his skill set.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

This has nothing to do with Mariota’s performance today, but I sometimes wonder how many quarterbacks have been dealt a worse hand than Marcus. 

It feels like anything you can do to ruin a young quarterback, we’ve done. Three head coaches. Four offensive coordinators. None of them running a system that even kind of resembled the offense that won him a Heisman.

Subject him to a ton of hits early in his career. Check. Give him bad receivers. Check. Take the ball out of his hands. Check.

People want to talk about him not developing. When in the hell was he supposed to develop? The fundamentals don’t improve in season, that’s work that’s typically done in the offseason. And he spends every offseason learning some new offense that doesn’t fit his skill set.

🗣Vince young 

• Like 1