Around the League: 2019 Edition

jetskid007

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Cooper will be a FA and I think he does go to the Jets. I think we get him and few OL guys and end up drafting Young as our edge guy. 

I think we do get 2-3 OLineman. Cooper is a possibility but doubtful and there's really no way we get Young.

Giants, Receivers drafted since 2001

Darius Slayton. Sterling Shepard, Odell Beckham, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz All big time players

Giants TE drafted , Evan Engram, Jeremy Shockey Both top players

Jets Receivers, drafted since 2001 Santana Moss, good pick, all the other receiver we drafted sucked

Jets TE drafted all were a huge bust, and our last TE drafted for one reason or another can't get on the field.

If we want Darnold to improve we have to get him quality receivers 

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Giants, Receivers drafted since 2001

Darius Slayton. Sterling Shepard, Odell Beckham, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz All big time players

Giants TE drafted , Evan Engram, Jeremy Shockey Both top players

Jets Receivers, drafted since 2001 Santana Moss, good pick, all the other receiver we drafted sucked

Jets TE drafted all were a huge bust, and our last TE drafted for one reason or another can't get on the field.

If we want Darnold to improve we have to get him quality receivers 

Trust me me more so than anyone on here is upset how much we haven't added offensive talent for this team over the last God knows how many years.

But we have drafted players that turned out a decent or even good NFL players since the time frame you're saying.

2001: WR Moss, and OT McKenzie

2002: TE Baker (this was a time frame TEs didn't put up WR numbers)

2004: WR Cotchery (was a very good player for us)

2006: OT DBrick, OC Mangold, RB Washington (This is my favorite draft for us ever and I'm hoping to repeat this draft this year).

2008: TE Keller (was a solid TE for us)

2009: QB Sanchez and RB Greene

2011: RB Powell and WR Kerley (solid players)

Its more the misses we have had and the lack of spending 1st Rounders on offense. That's the big thing.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Trust me me more so than anyone on here is upset how much we haven't added offensive talent for this team over the last God knows how many years.

But we have drafted players that turned out a decent or even good NFL players since the time frame you're saying.

2001: WR Moss, and OT McKenzie

2002: TE Baker (this was a time frame TEs didn't put up WR numbers)

2004: WR Cotchery (was a very good player for us)

2006: OT DBrick, OC Mangold, RB Washington (This is my favorite draft for us ever and I'm hoping to repeat this draft this year).

2008: TE Keller (was a solid TE for us)

2009: QB Sanchez and RB Greene

2011: RB Powell and WR Kerley (solid players)

Its more the misses we have had and the lack of spending 1st Rounders on offense. That's the big thing.

Yeah I forgot Keller, he was a good player, the first round is your best chance of getting a top playmaker, sure you can get one in the later rounds but the odds are against you. The bottom is to many years not drafting Offensive players in the first round

1 minute ago, doumeyer said:

Yeah I forgot Keller, he was a good player, the first round is your best chance of getting a top playmaker, sure you can get one in the later rounds but the odds are against you. The bottom is to many years not drafting Offensive players in the first round

Exactly.. you generally get top talent in Round 1. That's not saying you cant get great talent late... but look at the top WRs and RBs in the league. They're mostly 1st Rounders or 2nd Rounder.

RB: McCaffrey (1), Henry (2), Chubb (2), Cook (2), Elliott (1), Barkley (1), Jacobs (1), Fournette (1), Ingram (1),

In fact the only RB in the top 10 this year is Carson.

WR: Thomas (2), Hopkins (1), Evans (1), Moore (1), Julio (1), Cooper (1),

The other WRs in the top 10 are Godwin and Golladay both 3rd Rounders and Edelman who was a late Rounder.

So as you can see quality picks make for the best talent at skill positions.

Not relevant, but if I were running drafts, my philosophy would be fairly simple every year: 

Round 1:

• Focus on QB/OL/DL-EDGE
  • Exception: elite talents (BPA, i.e. Jamal Adams) 

Round 2:

• Focus on "skill" players with high floors (WR/CB) or OL
  • Exception: 1st round talents who fell out of round 1 (BPA, i.e. Darius Leonard) 

Round 3:

• Focus "skill" players (WR/CB), DL-EDGE, or high floor RB/TE/OL/LB 
  • Exception: developmental QBs 

Day 3 would be spent on high floor interior lineman, upside players, small school prospects, and special teamers. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

Keller was a good player? He was serviceable but I don’t think you ever could have considered him a top 10 TE in the league

So now a guy has to be top 10 at their position to be good? I’m not at all saying Keller was great... but as a draft pick and his career... he wasn’t just a complete failed draft pick. He battled injuries as well