The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Week 1 MNF v. Denver Broncos

Trojan

26 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Social media Raider nation love him he’s saying the right things he’s all in but on field I’m skeptical overall

He's a heat-seeking missile on the field that will help a lot in run support and help to neutralize mobile quarterbacks. He just has to prove that he can be consistent in coverage on the back end and cover TE's if he's going to play a lot for us this season. Karl Joseph was a similar player coming into the league although he was a little better in coverage and not as physical or aggressive in run support. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The whole fan base thinks Abram is an elite player because he hits hard and had a funny moment on Hard Knocks. Gunther trusts Curtis Riley in coverage more than he trusts Abram. 

No did you see him vs Iowa’s te’s last year?

and I have yet to see hard knocks other than episode 1.

• Like 1

Abrams best quality is not his hitting. It's his speed and power at the point of attack. He can shed blocks with ease and chase sideline to sideline really well. He has a lot of versatility and promise as a blitzer too. That's why we took him. Obviously he can cover decently as well, but I saw him struggle a bit against mismatch players.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Have you ever tried to cover someone with boxing gloves (a drill I use for my dbs)?

also try wrapping up for a tackle with a bad hand/wrist....

seems like you’re still salty about ab and the fact that we’re succeeding without him i know you were one of his biggest fans 

Was his wrist broken the last two years at Mississippi State? I like Abram and want him to succeed but there were questions about his coverage ability at State. He got picked on during the Alabama game last year a lot, IIRC. On passing downs, Gunther had more faith in Curtis Riely than he had in Abram to make plays in coverage. 

Literally, every major scouting/draft publication has said the same thing about Abram. He's a high energy, violent striker, who's amazing in run support but has average instincts in coverage and will need to improve tremendously as a cover guy to be a 3 down player. They all said that he's reckless at times too and we saw that last night with that 15-yard penality/freak injury to Conley. He's strictly an in the box safety right now. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Abrams best quality is not his hitting. It's his speed and power at the point of attack. He can shed blocks with ease and chase sideline to sideline really well. He has a lot of versatility and promise as a blitzer too. That's why we took him. Obviously he can cover decently as well, but I saw him struggle a bit against mismatch players.

You seem him blow up that blocking RB on a blitz?

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He's a heat-seeking missile on the field that will help a lot in run support and help to neutralize mobile quarterbacks. He just has to prove that he can be consistent in coverage on the back end and cover TE's if he's going to play a lot for us this season. Karl Joseph was a similar player coming into the league although he was a little better in coverage and not as physical or aggressive in run support. 

His skillset is similar to Joseph which is why I didn’t want him. I didn’t want Joseph either even though he was my “favorite” player in the draft. These type of skillsets are 2nd Round Picks at best. Abram was my sixth rated safety in the draft. He plays fast and violent, like a Tyvon Branch, but everything else in his game is highly suspect. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

His skillset is similar to Joseph which is why I didn’t want him. I didn’t want Joseph either even though he was my “favorite” player in the draft. These type of skillsets are 2nd Round Picks at best. Abram was my sixth rated safety in the draft. He plays fast and violent, like a Tyvon Branch, but everything else in his game is highly suspect. 

I would've preferred Adderly but I can see why they took Abram. 

I’m highly critical of the team and don’t make homer comments but I’m highly confident Conley/Mullen is the next Talib/CHJ deadly combo. 

Conley and Mullen are two of the most fluid in man coverage corners I have seen the Raiders draft in my lifetime. Conleys long arms remind me of Nnamdi and Mullens absolutely amazing hip fluidity reminds me of Revis. 

Riley is a good coverage safety and a poor tackler. He was in for 25 snaps last night. I'd have to go back to the game to see how he was used but it seems he subbed both Joseph and Abram. It's one game so we'll have to wait and see if it's a trend and he's our designed coverage S.

2 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

Abram looked great for week 1. If that is the worst he plays all season long I will not be mad.

I just have to say. If anyone has All-22. Watch Conley before his injury. He looked Elite.

didnt hear from Sanders until his injury. Conley is legit.