Week 2 GDT - Cincinnati Bengals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Honestly, I don't really mind if Bosa isn't practicing most of the week. He was recovering from an injury already, and wasn't 100%, and he played great. Maybe he just needs more rest. If he's still not 100% on sunday, but he can play, just lighten his load by rotating other guys. Give him as much rest as he can until he's finally healthy. He's such a beast and a technician that even without practice, he's still a better pass rusher than what we've got anyway.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shanny said he thinks they played Deebo to much against Tampa. Think we can definitely expect to see more Pettis in this one

Good, but also want to see how many three WR sets we even implement? You could count on your hand the number of three WR sets we used. Late in the game went to one WR sets. 

But it was embarrassing how little we did in the passing game last week with great pass protection. Sure Jimmy G is a little rusty and needs to regain full confidence, but some of the play calling was suspect to say the least. Granted, we probably look at the game a bit different if both Kittle TDs didn't get called back. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good, but also want to see how many three WR sets we even implement? You could count on your hand the number of three WR sets we used. Late in the game went to one WR sets. 

But it was embarrassing how little we did in the passing game last week with great pass protection. Sure Jimmy G is a little rusty and needs to regain full confidence, but some of the play calling was suspect to say the least. Granted, we probably look at the game a bit different if both Kittle TDs didn't get called back. 

I wouldn't count on that any time soon. It's just not his scheme and never really has been. He's been one of the league leaders in 21 personnel for a while now, and from 2015-2018, was either first or second in that every year, I believe. Last year, we ran 42% of our plays with two running back when league average is 8%.  In contrast, he's usually well below the league average in 3 receiver sets and we were dead last in 2018 at 39%. In Atlanta, he used more 3 tight end sets than anyone in the NFL. He was also number 1 or 2 his years in Atlanta. 

I'm fine with not changing up the positional groupings. That's what he has leaned on to be successful, and he has been successful. But he does need to take some more shots down the field and open up that running game middle of the field (his bread and butter) a little more. Everything felt far too bunched in that first game against TB. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't count on that any time soon. It's just not his scheme and never really has been. He's been one of the league leaders in 21 personnel for a while now, and from 2015-2018, was either first or second in that every year, I believe. Last year, we ran 42% of our plays with two running back when league average is 8%.  In contrast, he's usually well below the league average in 3 receiver sets and we were dead last in 2018 at 39%. In Atlanta, he used more 3 tight end sets than anyone in the NFL. He was also number 1 or 2 his years in Atlanta. 

I'm fine with not changing up the positional groupings. That's what he has leaned on to be successful, and he has been successful. But he does need to take some more shots down the field and open up that running game middle of the field (his bread and butter) a little more. Everything felt far too bunched in that first game against TB. 

39% is fine, could be a little higher but wasn't close to that last week. I'm interested in seeing how he calls the game on Sunday and how many deep shots we take. I think Jimmy G only took two deep shots last game and one went for a TD and on the other Bourne was interfered with and it ended up being like a 30 yard gain. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

39% is fine, could be a little higher but wasn't close to that last week. I'm interested in seeing how he calls the game on Sunday and how many deep shots we take. I think Jimmy G only took two deep shots last game and one went for a TD and on the other Bourne was interfered with and it ended up being like a 30 yard gain. 

FWIW, we were actually higher against the Bucs. We ran 3 receivers 43% of the time (26 out of 60 plays) 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

FWIW, we were actually higher against the Bucs. We ran 3 receivers 43% of the time (26 out of 60 plays) 

Interesting, didn't seem that way. Maybe because late in the game we completely went away from it. But James did get a decent amount of time in the slot. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting, didn't seem that way. Maybe because late in the game we completely went away from it. But James did get a decent amount of time in the slot. 

I just felt like it was the routes. It almost felt Greg Roman like. Not spreading anyone out, everything close and just off the line where there were a bunch of players. Not a ton of motion. Routes kind of overtop one another

The 49ers should be able to beat the Bengals without Bosa. Jimmy needs to put his man pants on this weekend and lead the team...assuming he's given a chance via protection and the receivers getting decent separation/open. The Jimmy G from 2017 was turning water into wine with scrubs. Still waiting for that guy to come back. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

The 49ers should be able to beat the Bengals without Bosa. Jimmy needs to put his man pants on this weekend and lead the team...assuming he's given a chance via protection and the receivers getting decent separation/open. The Jimmy G from 2017 was turning water into wine with scrubs. Still waiting for that guy to come back. 

I completely agree. We are just a better team overall and should be able to handle them if we just play a clean game. 

Watching tampas D again this week showed that what they did to us wasnt just poor play on our part - that defense is pretty damn good up front. I expect the run game to get going early and for the offense to get in rhythm. 

I expect a huge game from Kittle. I expect a few big runs from breida. I expect another takeaway that leads to points. 

Should be fun

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I just felt like it was the routes. It almost felt Greg Roman like. Not spreading anyone out, everything close and just off the line where there were a bunch of players. Not a ton of motion. Routes kind of overtop one another

Some of that feeling was Jimmy misreading. The pick six was a smash concept that he read correctly presnap, but failed to account for a cover 3 corner playing so aggressively post snap. Richie James had about a 40 yard gain if he caught Hargreaves cheating. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JIllg said:

It was nice to see Vea and Suh annhilate another IOL. 

It does make me feel a little bit better. That Tampa defense looks better than I anticipated, though I think that they should have had some major issues in the passing game last night. I felt like the Panthers struggles in the passing game was more about Cam than it was the Tampa defense. They did do a great job of keeping CMC in check though, so kudos to them for that.