Week 2 GDT - Cincinnati Bengals vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Big Ben is done for the season. This should make next week with Pittsburgh a winnable game, even with Staley out. 

Honestly, the game was winnable with our without Ben. In fact, Rudolph got the offense moving better in the 2nd half than Ben did. The Steelers will be very desperate regardless so the team has to bring it. Classic trap game. 

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, really could be a one year rental before we would have to move him. Move doesn't make sense.

Unless, we trade for him to then trade him after the offseason? Some NE Patriots/LA Rams kind of thing???

But he wants a new deal and has eaten two million in gives so far. We would have to structure with no dead money next year, which means no signing bonus, if we want to do that

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

But he wants a new deal and has eaten two million in gives so far. We would have to structure with no dead money next year, which means no signing bonus, if we want to do that

We can do that though, no? Up his deal for this year with the amount of space we have left, and then move him after the offseason.

I mean highly unlikely and we won't get equal value back for him. If we trade our 1st rounder in 2020, we aren't getting back a 2020 1st rounder in the offseason. Just not going to happen.

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We can do that though, no? Up his deal for this year with the amount of space we have left, and then move him after the offseason.

I mean highly unlikely and we won't get equal value back for him. If we trade our 1st rounder in 2020, we aren't getting back a 2020 1st rounder in the offseason. Just not going to happen.

Can we? Yes. Will he take something like that? I don't know why he would. Plus, guaranteeing future years base salaries to make up for it further increases the risk for any team acquiring him, which makes working out a trade potentially more difficult. It's just another moving part that makes such a deal less and less likely, in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I read Kawakami's article on if the 49ers should trade for Trent Williams. Look, sounds good and all but I don't see that happening. And really, what are we going to do when Staley returns? I think that is a complete pipe dream. McGlinchey is turning into one of the best RTs in the game, if he's not there already so would you move him to guard? Staley will be playing RT for the first since his rookie season? No, and that doesn't even begin to bring up what it will cost. 

Kawakami is sharp and has been doing this for a long time. He knows that if he puts it in writing that they should make the trade and then skule struggles, he can puff out his chest and say 'niners didn't do what I told them to do, look how stupid they are and how smart I am' 

His only intention sometimes is to get the fanbase riled up. He lives for drama tbh 

It makes the fans who don't follow as close as we do think he's some genius, but he doesn't realize it actually makes him less credible for those in the know 

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Kawakami is sharp and has been doing this for a long time. He knows that if he puts it in writing that they should make the trade and then skule struggles, he can puff out his chest and say 'niners didn't do what I told them to do, look how stupid they are and how smart I am' 

His only intention sometimes is to get the fanbase riled up. He lives for drama tbh 

It makes the fans who don't follow as close as we do think he's some genius, but he doesn't realize it actually makes him less credible for those in the know 

I don't know if that was his intention. I mean pretty much everyone expects Skule to struggle. Kawakami just thinks we are going to go for it this year and both Shanny/Lynch think this team could make a deep run at it and don't want to let this opportunity slip by....But not sure I totally agree with that logic. 

Speaking of Staley, it is still amazing how good he is at this age. Seriously, has he allowed ANY pressure through two weeks? I didn't hear Barrett's name once against us minus the sack he got on a blitz, yet against Carolina he wrecked havoc. Hubbard was putting on pressure against Wilson all game long and again, did absolutely nothing yesterday. Guy has a few shaky moments every TC/preseason where people think he will be losing a step and once the regular season starts up, he is back to being the same ole Joe.