The NCAA and Players Profiting from Their Likeness Thread

ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I've never had a problem with athletes profiting off of their own likenesses and/or side gigs, so long as they do it themselves.

I'm also a firm believer that if your coach is allowed to take a new job without sitting out a year, a coach is fired during your playing career, etc., you should be able to transfer without penalty/consequence.

Thats a tough one though. Then it becomes free agency basically. You'll have a bunch of under the table stuff and coaches recruiting guys off other teams. Could get ugly fast.

12 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Thats a tough one though. Then it becomes free agency basically.

1. Only if your coach leaves/is fired. That's the guy sitting in parents' living rooms promising to care for the kid. Why should he have to play for someone that didn't make that commitment?

2. Maybe it will prevent universities from terminating a coach that quickly

3. If coaches can do it, then players should be able to as well.

12 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You'll have a bunch of under the table stuff and coaches recruiting guys off other teams. Could get ugly fast.

I hate to break it to you, but it's already happening and already ugly. Nike, Addidas, assistant coaches, and head coaches knowing about it. At least in this instance, it will all be out in the open.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

1. Only if your coach leaves/is fired. That's the guy sitting in parents' living rooms promising to care for the kid. Why should he have to play for someone that didn't make that commitment?

2. Maybe it will prevent universities from terminating a coach that quickly

3. If coaches can do it, then players should be able to as well.

I hate to break it to you, but it's already happening and already ugly. Nike, Addidas, assistant coaches, and head coaches knowing about it. At least in this instance, it will all be out in the open.

I know its already happening in recruitment. Just feel like this opens the door even more for it. I agree that it should be easier to transfer, I just don't know how well it will go.

Just now, MWil23 said:

This is a non-meaningless distinction. Currently, how this happens is that someone acts as a shadow booster by not reporting cash income they generate, and then hands that off to the athlete/family, who then don't report that income.

In other words, there's 2 layers of tax fraud in every bag man transaction. The federal government (and by extension, all of us) are getting screwed twice with the current system, and an over the table deal would end that.

• Like 2

Not sure how I feel for pay for play (IF it's allowed it would have to be some flat base rate equal at all NCAA schools), however players should absolutely be able to make money off their own likeness. 

How about you just kill 2 birds and 1 stone, let EA and the NCAA team just pay the football players all some base fee for their likeness?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

1. You don't. It's an inherently fair system. Every athlete is equally able to profit of their likeness, so there is nothing discriminatory about the law itself. 

2. Yes.

So you are saying the school pays nothing to the athletes, but they are free to do as they please, such as autograph signings (in person as well as companies), endorsement deals, etc?  

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Nice gesture but its meaningless. NCAA will just say "Sure, pay you're athletes but they'll all be ineligible.". Its like the legal plant in Colorado, Denver players still can't partake.

Don’t have time to find a link right now but there are already some very smart lawyers that have explained how the NCAA can’t legally do that.

If this does pass, is it possible that the California schools can create "super teams" so to speak because their athletes can now get paid openly?  

An example would be if a high school athlete is looking at schools and they know they can get paid by going to a college in CA, wouldn't they lean towards going to those schools more?

Just a thought.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

If this does pass, is it possible that the California schools can create "super teams" so to speak because their athletes can now get paid openly?  

An example would be if a high school athlete is looking at schools and they know they can get paid by going to a college in CA, wouldn't they lean towards going to those schools more?

Just a thought.

Peace!!!

I would assume that those schools definitely would. Throw in the "atmosphere" and "culture" and "hollywood vibe" that USC and UCLA have, and you're looking at a LOT of kids around the nation flocking to those two schools.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Just a thought.

Peace!!!

Yes, people generally prefer money compared to no money.

• Like 4