Around the league discussion

candyman93

40 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I never quite understand the need to bail on raw, young players before they complete their 3rd year like David Njoku.

He's not like Austin Corbett. 

Coming out of college, everyone knew he was one of the rawest prospects. He has proven to be that way.

However, he was better year 2 than year 1. He missed 

Everyone acting so fatalistic about the int/fumble he had in his first return. News flash... that was a completed catch in which David secured it and was no different than when a defender strips a ball late after a RB is on the ground.

David hasn't played any this year due to going up for a high ball and taking a crazy hit that caused him to land terribly on his head/neck/and wrist.

I'm keeping Njoku and have to see at least a 3rd full season in the league before I'm giving up on him.

13 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I wouldn’t just move on from him. I don’t know in this case that declining an option is moving on. It’s just a statement that year 4 is big and they aren’t paying premiere dollars for an unknown. 

This ^^^

This may not make sense to some after everything else I said about Njoku.. But I'd absolutely like to exercise the 5th year option. He's undoubtedly a talented player and I think the impact he could have on this offense, just based on his skillset vs our needs, could be huge.

30 minutes ago, braylon said:
2 hours ago, mistakey said:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/nfl-fifth-year-option-salaries-2019

not paying njoku 6m dollars without actually doing something next year 

Fair.. but 6mm isn't THAT much in today's NFL and the rising salary cap. I hope we pay it (it's not my money).. but I don't blame you.

That would make him like the 19th/20th highest paid TE for this season, that kind of contract isn’t truly that bad

• Like 2

Problem with Njoku is that there's nothing he can hang his hat on. Is he a great yac guy? no. Is he a good contested catch guy? not really. Is he a clutch, red zone or move the chains guy? no. Is he a great speed seam guy? not really. Is he a good blocker? no. Right now, he's much more apt to drop the key ball or get run over than anything else. You don't collect soft, unreliable players just because of their upside or a flash here and there.

Can he turn it around like a Jared Cook later in his career? ...possibly, but that's not worth banking on right now. You want a guy that at least does one of those things really well even if the upside isn't as great.

48 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Problem with Njoku is that there's nothing he can hang his hat on. Is he a great yac guy? no. Is he a good contested catch guy? not really. Is he a clutch, red zone or move the chains guy? no. Is he a great speed seam guy? not really. Is he a good blocker? no. Right now, he's much more apt to drop the key ball or get run over than anything else. You don't collect soft, unreliable players just because of their upside or a flash here and there.

Can he turn it around like a Jared Cook later in his career? ...possibly, but that's not worth banking on right now. You want a guy that at least does one of those things really well even if the upside isn't as great.

I don't disagree with any of this. But am I willing to have the team spend $6mil to find out if he can improve? No question. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

yeah i think this is right, dude is jared cook 2.0