2020 Draft thread

lavar703

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think he means Walker Little, he's a LT from Stanford and he's the 2nd rated OT right now after Andrew Thomas. That being said, he's not worth passing on Jeudy, Young, Delpit or Thomas for. It's best to a stay put and take the best available of those 4 and not trade down.

@lavar703

Did you see Walter’s latest Mock?

1. Dolphins - Tua

2. Jets - Andrew Thomas

3. Bengals - Herbert

4. Dolphins - Jeudy

5. Redskins - Young

Now, I don't think we end up worse than the Steelers. I think the Steelers manage to win 5-7 games. So, I think in this scenario we’d be picking 4th. I think if we have an offensive-minded HC next year that we take Jeudy, if we hire a defensive-minded HC, we trade Kerrigan for a mid-round pick and draft Chase Young.

They need/I hope they finish below (have a worst record) any QB needy team so they can trade down. I'm mainly focus on them finishing with a worst record than the Dolphins so they can be our trade partners. I want at least 2 of their 1st round picks allowing us to have 3 1st round 2020 picks. 

Edited by Skins212689

10 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Saban wouldn’t work for Snyder even if he drafted Mrs Terry (his wife). 

I mean, I’ll never say never again. I didn’t think Marty or Shanahan would either but when Dan gave them final say and full control of football operations, they came. Of course Dan managed to undermine them both but they came bc it was in their contract and they were promised that by Dan.

One thing about Saban is he loves a challenge and hates failure. He failed as an NFL HC - he has nothing left to prove in college - he could see turning the Redsins back into a consistent winner as a bigger challenge then doing it at Alabama a decade ago. On top of that,  Saban’s childhood friend from  West Virginia is a US Senator. So, they’d be close together.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Saban wouldn’t work for Snyder even if he drafted Mrs Terry (his wife). 

Money always talks and the redskins are more than just Snyder, we are still a storied franchise.  If you look carefully, most owners are horrible. 

This is what contracts are for.  If Saban needs contractual control he can get it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, offbyone said:

Money always talks and the redskins are more than just Snyder, we are still a storied franchise.  If you look carefully, most owners are horrible. 

This is what contracts are for.  If Saban needs contractual control he can get it.  

Most owners allow their football people to do their jobs, for better or worse. Snyder is not one of those. Contractual or not, Snyder has chased away every name coach he’s ever had. Nick Saban has said repeatedly he made a mistake leaving LSU to come to the NFL and is not dumb enough to come to Washington to work for this guy. That said, he’s one of the few people that would get me excited. The team and the building clearly need an iron fist type guy. 

4 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Most owners allow their football people to do their jobs, for better or worse. Snyder is not one of those. Contractual or not, Snyder has chased away every name coach he’s ever had. Nick Saban has said repeatedly he made a mistake leaving LSU to come to the NFL and is not dumb enough to come to Washington to work for this guy. That said, he’s one of the few people that would get me excited. The team and the building clearly need an iron fist type guy. 

I don’t know that I’d say most owners allow the football people to do their jobs w/o meddling. We know far more about Dan bc it was obvious last decade how involved he was in player acquisition. This decade, not so much, just the same with other owners sans Jerry Jones who has made himself the Cowboys owner-GM together and hasn’t won a Super Bowl since.

We just don’t know about other owners. George Allen, Bethard, Casserly and Gibbs said that Cooke meddled all the time, they just ignored him though if they didn’t agree with his opinion and it didn’t end up matter  bc the Redskins mostly won in the 80s and early 90s.

The problem we have had the last 20 years is Dan has put in place yes-men as his team President/GM role w/ Vinny and Brice. They don’t/didn’t say no to him or didn’t ignore his opinions if they thought it was wrong, they mostly were/are puppets for him.

10 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I don't think Snyder interferes inappropriately anymore.  Sure, he does here and there, but compared to a lot of owners he seems content to stay out of day to day decisions.  I am ok with the amount of meddling he does.  There aren't a lot of owners I would love to have.  Snyder has at least evolved as an owner and is trending in the direction I want to see.  The ironic thing is despite this common complaint by the fans, currently, most of us would like to see Snyder fire Bruce and Jay even in the middle of the season.  Sometimes the owner needs to step in.  

Agree on the iron fist.  We need someone people are scared of, not happy go lucky jay gruden.

And in the front office, we need someone with a bit more football acumen and a hell of a lot more class.

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:00 PM, Skins212689 said:

They need/I hope they finish below (have a worst record) any QB needy team so they can trade down. I'm mainly focus on them finishing with a worst record than the Dolphins so they can be our trade partners. I want at least 2 of their 1st round picks allowing us to have 3 1st round 2020 picks. 

Dolphins would have to finish around .500 for that to happen or above and that isn't happening bro.

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand the excitement for Saban? When he realized he couldn’t just out-recruit everyone in the NFL like he can in college he packed up his bags and rolled out. 

He’s the closest thing there is to Belicheck. He knows how to build a championship defense. He would have to hire a great offensive mind though. If we were lucky enough to lure Saban away from Bama, I’d hope he agrees to keep O’Connell as our OC.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s the closest thing there is to Belicheck. He knows how to build a championship defense. He would have to hire a great offensive mind though. If we were lucky enough to lure Saban away from Bama, I’d hope he agrees to keep O’Connell as our OC.

He knows how to build an NFL defense based on what? The difference between recruiting and drafting/signing free agents is stark. He already tried and failed miserably. 

51 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He knows how to build an NFL defense based on what? The difference between recruiting and drafting/signing free agents is stark. He already tried and failed miserably. 

Saban wouldn't be signing people, he be coaching people. Our GM - hopefully Kyle Smith - with Eric Schaefer would be signing the free agents and doing the contracts, Saban, Smith and Alex Santos would watch film and decide who to sign.

He was in the NFL as secondary coach did the Oilers in 88-89 and was Belichick's defensive coordinator in Cleveland from 91-94 before Michigan State hired him in 95 to be their head coach.

His issue in Miami was he just wasn't happy, he didn't have the offensive talent to compete. In 2005, he had Gus FERGOT as QB and in 2006 he had Dante Culpepper as a QB recovering from a torn ACL and Joey Harrington at QB.

Think about this, if the Dolphins front office had signed Drew Brees instead of backing out bc of his shoulder injury and then instead signing Dante Culpepper coming off a torn ACL, the Dolphins could have been what the Saints are currently, they were that close! 

Belicheck & Saban would have been duking it out every year for the division instead of the Patriots usually having a cakewalk in their division every year.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand the excitement for Saban? When he realized he couldn’t just out-recruit everyone in the NFL like he can in college he packed up his bags and rolled out. 

I don't disagree.  But I would still certainly consider a guy like this who can truly build a program that sees year over year success.  He has the type of leadership we need and is very hard to find.  But then again he did bail on his last attempt.  

• Like 1