Week 3 GDT: Titans @ Jaguars TNF

TitanLegend

6 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Did you watch last night? Yes, OL was trash, but I dont think Mariota has ever tried to get rid of the ball while in the pocket and instead takes sack after sack.

Tannehill would have to reach new levels of suck to mirror Mariota's level of ineptitude.

I disagree with this so much. We have one or two actual wide receivers running routes and immediate pressure. We were also trailing and the line couldn’t stop holding. I think this was a valid criticism on Sunday. Tannehill probably turns a couple of those sacks into interceptions (thinking of that WR screen at the end of the first half that was destined to be a pick six had Marcus made the designed throw).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I understand the criticisms of Marcus in the first half. I really do. This second half though. This is what tells me that a QB change does absolutely nothing.

Not many QBs in the NFL can overcome the other deficiencies on that side of the ball, from coaching/prepping to play calling to the blocking.  Mariota isn't in one of those top tiers.  He's an average QB, who could be above average if allowed to play to his strengths.  

14 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Move Conklin to OG make Kelly right tackle when Lewan comes back. That's our only hope at something that might be an NFL line. 

It sounds Maddenish... but I don't see any way around it.  When Jones and Saffold are you two best guys on the line, there are serious issues (which is apparent to anyone watching the games)... 

Lewan - Saffold - Jones - Conklin - Kelly    

That looks good on paper... and it can't be any worse.  It would also probably help us go to 11 personnel as a base.  

I've been saying it for years... and it seems to finally be catching on... but Henry's strenghts just don't fit in with Mariota's strengths (or that of a spread style offense).  I get that Henry is our best and most consistent player on offense right now... and it's not even close.  But something has to give.  And this era of the NFL, where the run game has been declared mostly dead...the offense should be tailored mostly to the QB.  Mariota may not be our QB going forward... but how many of the QBs that have come out the past few years are not similar in style to what Mariota would be best at.  It's just the current wave of NFL offenses... Or maybe I'm wrong... maybe Henry would be good in a Pistol style offense... lets Mariota take snaps out of the shotgun, and allows them to run and PA out of it?  Can Henry fit in that offense?  

12 hours ago, dtait93 said:

That one handed snag by Corey was a beauty btw. Marcus just needs to just say F it and start throwing it up to him.

The 2nd half showed that glimmer that we still see from time to time... 

He went 17/24 for 242 yards... even with the OL falling apart around him.. as he was sacked 8 times for 47 yards in that 2nd half. He also ran 3 times for 17 yards, including that scramble to the 1, directly leading to Henry's TD.

Even taking the final drive away, which was strictly stat padding... he went 10/14 for 161 yards, with 7 of those sacks.  He made some really good reads and passes as well. 

Henry had 7 rushes for 13 yards.  2 of those runs were from the shotgun... and he also caught 1 of 2 attempts for 2 yards (with that big drop on the other target).  The OL fell apart in run blocking also... but he may also just not be a fit with that style of offense.

19 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Henry had 7 rushes for 13 yards.  2 of those runs were from the shotgun... and he also caught 1 of 2 attempts for 2 yards (with that big drop on the other target).  The OL fell apart in run blocking also... but he may also just not be a fit with that style of offense.

I think this version of Henry can work in a shotgun based offense. He’s fast enough to the edge, but more importantly, he’s decisive. He doesn’t spend time dancing around in the backfield like he used to, which is what can really burn you out of the gun. He’s also become at least a competent pass blocker, which is big.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think this version of Henry can work in a shotgun based offense. He’s fast enough to the edge, but more importantly, he’s decisive. He doesn’t spend time dancing around in the backfield like he used to, which is what can really burn you out of the gun. He’s also become at least a competent pass blocker, which is big.

Yeah, I saw a couple of those short pitches, that were more off guard as opposed to wide runs or even off tackle runs.  There wasn't much there, but I think that's a result of the line play.  But if they can do those kinda pitches from under center, they could be pulled off from the shotgun.

It would also allow Mariota more of a chance to change some of the PAs to RPOs.  Give him that second to survey the field, and decide if he's handing off or not.  If there's one thing he's consistenly shown to be able to do, its this.  This would give him a chance to see the front 7 for a second before he decides to hand off or keep it himself for a pass or run.  If Henry can continue being effective in this style of offense, there's no reason to not implement it, even if it's just little by little.  

Let Mariota run a KC/Philly/Chicago type offense, and see him put up better stats than Trubisky, easy... It may be too early, but Mahomes looks like he's in that elite tier... but I think he'd be as effective as Wentz.  But why would we play to our QBs strengths?  That's just crazy talk.  

• Like 1

Im not as big of a fan of Henry as everyone else. He bring zero to the passing game and it's 2019. He also needs a lot of carries to be effective and usually doesn't hit his stride until the second half.

There's no denying his talent and he does really excel at some things, but he has some major holes in his game. You practically need to take him out of the game to drop back and pass and he's awful in the screen game outside of one play.

I wouldn't give him a big contract to stay. He's a physical freak and I don't think there's any RB you want more with a lead in the 4th quarter, but you have to be able to get that lead first.

Edited by TitanSS
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Im not as big of a fan of Henry as everyone else. He bring zero to the passing game and it's 2019. He also needs a lot of carries to be effective and usually doesn't hit his stride until the second half.

There's no denying his talent and he does really excel at some things, but he has some major holes in his game. You practically need to take him out of the game to drop back and pass and he's awful in the screen game outside of one play.

I wouldn't give him a big contract to stay. He's a physical freak and I don't think there's any RB you want more with a lead in the 4th quarter, but you have to be able to get that lead first.

I would franchise Henry and try to trade him. He is obviously talented. But if we are getting rid of Marcus at the end of the year, if we do sign someone else. I'd hope we try to be more versatile.

But likely we are going to continue with the run first approach, so might as well re-sign a run first back. Cut Lewis and try to find a better back up. Then hope the QB that is back there can function in this type of offense. 

Posting this because this is the play I took a lot of crap for because I criticized AJ. I’m still going to criticize AJ. That is not how you’re supposed to make a play on a back shoulder throw. There should be almost no engagement with the DB, instead he’s using his arm to push off away from the ball and does a little pirouette. Beyond that, his first move with the ball is to the inside instead of the outside. That’s a back shoulder throw away from the corner and to the sideline with room for AJ to get his feet in, it’s really poorly executed by the WR.

Okay watched first half of Titans Jaguars.  I didn't think state of NFL officiating could get worse after last week.  I was wrong.

Titans got hosed again and again.  Awful awful calls.  They sap your strength and will to play.   Unwatchable.  Didn't even watch second half.  

I don't know if I can continue to be an NFL fan if this is what games are going to be like.  

Did Vrable say anything after the game?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Okay watched first half of Titans Jaguars.  I didn't think state of NFL officiating could get worse after last week.  I was wrong.

Titans got hosed again and again.  Awful awful calls.  They sap your strength and will to play.   Unwatchable.  Didn't even watch second half.  

I don't know if I can continue to be an NFL fan if this is what games are going to be like.  

Did Vrable say anything after the game?

This is one thing that makes me a little less angry at Mariota and Arthur Smith.  The Titans had two huge offensive plays called back for phantom penalties, and one big defensive play.  The offensive plays were conversions of long third downs, and the defensive one allowed the Jags to continue a stalled drive.  Hard to expect much from your offense when they get made up penalties when they do convert/make big plays.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:07 PM, titans0021 said:

Posting this because this is the play I took a lot of crap for because I criticized AJ. I’m still going to criticize AJ. That is not how you’re supposed to make a play on a back shoulder throw. There should be almost no engagement with the DB, instead he’s using his arm to push off away from the ball and does a little pirouette. Beyond that, his first move with the ball is to the inside instead of the outside. That’s a back shoulder throw away from the corner and to the sideline with room for AJ to get his feet in, it’s really poorly executed by the WR.

If the throw is just placed further downfield it's an easy catch. If a WR has to stop and come back to the ball it's a hitch not a back shoulder throw. The ball needs to be placed just outside and behind him if he never stopped running until the ball arrived. 

It does look like Brown thinks he's closer to the sideline than he is as he's toe-tapping a yard and a half in bounds, but other than that he was fine. He shouldn't have extended his arm, as it did literally nothing, but he was open and underthrown. De'Andre Hopkins gets away with significantly more hand usage each week and it's part of why people think he's so good.

16 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

If the throw is just placed further downfield it's an easy catch. If a WR has to stop and come back to the ball it's a hitch not a back shoulder throw. The ball needs to be placed just outside and behind him if he never stopped running until the ball arrived. 

It does look like Brown thinks he's closer to the sideline than he is as he's toe-tapping a yard and a half in bounds, but other than that he was fine. He shouldn't have extended his arm, as it did literally nothing, but he was open and underthrown. De'Andre Hopkins gets away with significantly more hand usage each week and it's part of why people think he's so good.

I think we just disagree on what that route was supposed to be. The Jags rush six and Mariota has to get the ball out quick, he throws to the sideline, which is where the ball should be. AJ is too far from the sideline and wasting time with the corner while the ball is in the air. It’s a terrible OPI call but he didn’t need to engage anyways, the corner was inside of him and the ball was to the outside. It’s one of those timing things that obviously happen with a rookie receiver, but there’s a play to be made there if he’s in the right position.

The ball is out of Mariota’s hand with AJ only five yards off the LOS and the corner inside running step for step, if the route is to the sideline, you can’t expect him to lead him up the field away from the line, which would bring the corner directly into the play if AJ is actually running along the sideline. And really, there was probably still a play to be made if AJ recognized that he could fully extend and get his feet in instead of thinking he was going to need to toe tap, which is another indicator that the route was supposed to be closer to the sideline.

• Like 1