Chris Harris Jr Trade?

bMiller031

5 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

If the trend continues .. could CHJ be a trade deadline pursuit for a contender?  If so, what kind of return would he demand on an expiring contract?

If the rumor is true that Baltimore offered a 1st,2nd, and Hayden Hurst for Jaylen Ramsey. 

Asking for a 3rd seems reasonable they just gave up 35 to the chiefe. We are getting Callahan back soon.

The sooner he gets dealt, the better the return.  Because the only thing a team can count on is this season.  CHJ already feels he gave his best years at a discount, so he won't get extended at discount rates.  It's a calculated risk, but at the level of play he's shown so far, he can't be blamed - he's shut down Allen Robinson and Davante Adams in shadow coverage, so he's really more than just the best slot CB around - he's a true top 5 island CB who just so happens to be able to do that in all 3 positions at CB.

Because he's not signed for next year, and he's now 30, and the contract renegotiation language says he can't be offered the franchise tag - we probably would be ecstatic with a 2nd round pick, but a 3rd is more likely.   Our comp pick formula would only give an end of 3rd in 2021, so the 3rd in 2020 (and not having to worry about who we sign), it's the break even point.

The problem is that until Jalen Ramsey gets dealt, there's seller competition.   We won't likely be getting a 1st unless Bill O'Brien finds his way into the 2022 pick chest lol. 

Edited by Broncofan

9 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Yeah regretfully it makes a ton of sense to move him even if the return is like a 4th or 5th round pick 

Well if we're not going to spend in FA, we probably should just get an end of 3rd pick in 2021.  I think for that reason, a 3rd 2020 will have someone calling Elway.   The issue is that Elway's likely holding out hope for a 2nd from a desperate owner.  But the Jalen Ramsay scenario needs to play itself out before Elway can see what the market holds.  And then ARI gets P-Pete back after week 4.   

If Elway had a 2nd round offer already, I bet he'd have jumped.   But it's probably a waiting game.  Much like how he held out for 4th for DT (which was a pipe dream, DT wasn't getting paid pre-injury so a pick return wasn't going to be high...until HOU lost Will Fuller, then it became reality).

Well, PHI just lost their starting best DB Darby.  If there was ever a time to get a 2nd, I'd hope Elway is on the phone with Roseman.  PHI is def a win-now team, and they've built their team to go for it.  Their pass D would upgrade in an instant (and a shutdown CB to use in a wide-9 that DC Jim Schwartz was what they were hoping for when they acquired Darby and drafted Sydney Jones).    PHI is also pretty cap-tight, so a 1-year rental is more palatable than giving up 2 1sts and extending Ramsey (which is what he is looking for).

For all the talk that we're not done yet that Elway keeps stating - we know we're done.  Hopefully Elway realizes this, a chance like this won't present itself again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, PHI just lost their starting best DB Darby.  If there was ever a time to get a 2nd, I'd hope Elway is on the phone with Roseman.  PHI is def a win-now team, and they've built their team to go for it.  Their pass D would upgrade in an instant (and a shutdown CB to use in a wide-9 that DC Jim Schwartz was what they were hoping for when they acquired Darby and drafted Sydney Jones).    PHI is also pretty cap-tight, so a 1-year rental is more palatable than giving up 2 1sts and extending Ramsey (which is what he is looking for).

For all the talk that we're not done yet that Elway keeps stating - we know we're done.  Hopefully Elway realizes this, a chance like this won't present itself again.

Can you thrown in an offensive lineman?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I know a 2nd is ideal in the perfect world. Especially with a 1-2 team with a qb with a sketchy injury history. 

Does Nelson Aghlor and stickem do anything for this team? Would be a rental as of right now as well.

Still only 26 would be an upgrade to Hamilton. Nelson Aghlor and some change seems like a possibility. 

Edited by thebestever6

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I know a 2nd is ideal in the perfect world. Especially with a 1-2 team with a qb with a sketchy injury history. 

Does Nelson Aghlor and stickem do anything for this team? Would be a rental as of right now as well.

Still only 26 would be an upgrade to Hamilton. 

No way.  He's mostly JAG...and about to get pricey.   He's a UFA after this year.  Big NO THANKS. Plus PHI isn't going to trade to weaken their win-now team, which is why they'll deal picks, but not win-now assets (and Agholor is on the outs, but not with Jeffery / D-Jax both hurting, and a short-slate game on TNF coming).

To be clear - a day 2 pick is likely our best result (well, now that HOU is out of the buyer realm anyways lol).  We aren't getting a king's ransom for a rental, no matter how great a player he is.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Trades rarely happen in the NFL mid-season, so for that reason i don't expect much. Even the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade was kind of bizarre to me. The only way I realistically see any players getting drafted is if Denver starts out 0-6 or something. I think they'll need to be firmly out of it for Denver to feel compelled to move. Elway is stubborn, he's not going to start selling assets after 2 games. But nearing the midway point of the season with no hope? That may be a different tune.

• Like 1