Chris Harris Jr Trade?

bMiller031

14 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think by next season guy like Courtland Sutton, Lindsay, Risner, Chubb, and Simmons (if re-signed) should bring the leadership needed to bring up another solid rookie class... then the Broncos should be set, especially if Lock can take over the reigns...and if he does, he should be the captain as QB.  

Coach's Corner: Missouri HC Barry Odom calls Drew Lock's deep-ball accuracy 'as good as I've ever seen'

@Broncofan planted the idea into my head but if Brandon cooks became available, or a legitimate deep threat I hope Elway jumps on it even if we are rebuilding. This way we can go legitimate bpa at wr in the draft. Let's improve on Locks strengths which is his deep ball. As long as its not a pick in the first 2 rounds preferably 3 rounds.

This is even if we trade Sanders. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Coach's Corner: Missouri HC Barry Odom calls Drew Lock's deep-ball accuracy 'as good as I've ever seen'

@Broncofan planted the idea into my head but if Brandon cooks became available, or a legitimate deep threat I hope Elway jumps on it even if we are rebuilding. This way we can go legitimate bpa at wr in the draft. Let's improve on Locks strengths which is his deep ball. As long as its not a pick in the first 2 rounds.

I'd rather have 2 legitimate QB's on the roster vs another bust and be forced to take crumbs.

13 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

I'd rather have 2 legitimate QB's on the roster vs another bust and be forced to take crumbs.

I don't know what Lock is or is not going to be. I do know he improved every year in college with different ocs, i do know he has an excellent deep ball, I think he's excellent value compared to what Miami gave up for Rosen because if he hits he fits this offense to a T.

Long term I want to build this thing. My perfect world Fangio helps build a winner, and when Rich is about to be poach Fangio steps down to DC so that if Lock does hit he'll be in the same system a majority or whole career. Maybe that's a pipe dream .

Edited by thebestever6

26 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

@Broncofan planted the idea into my head but if Brandon cooks became available, or a legitimate deep threat I hope Elway jumps on it even if we are rebuilding. This way we can go legitimate bpa at wr in the draft. Let's improve on Locks strengths which is his deep ball. As long as its not a pick in the first 2 rounds preferably 3 rounds.

Brandon Cooks at 13M per year for his 2021-23 years?   Sorry, we'll just agree to disagree.    Sutton is a prime example of why.   And to be clear, we'd be getting that in lieu of a decent draft pick, or giving up draft capital in return.   For rebuilders, taking shortcuts with cap space only prolongs the rebuild phase.   And that's before we get into the risk with Cooks now having been concussed 3x in his pro career (which is part of the game, but going out to acquire that risk, when we have Sutton?  And at 13M per year?  No thanks). 

The FA signings that made us jump forward unless it's a premium position (EDGE, QB, lockdown CB) were value ones.  Sanders at 15/3,  Darian Stewart at 4/2.   Those are the types of deals to target.   

Top $ signings at non-premium positions don't help rebuilders.   If we want a lid lifter, we actually can find guys in the draft UBER-cheap (Day 2 or later) - or we can dive into the 2nd tier, with guys like Robbie Anderson, Devante Parker and Philip Dorsett - all UFA's.   It's just a far better solution than going for Cooks, and IMO it's not even close..or even in the same ballpark.  It's the same thinking that said ppl should consider going after AB.  For WR, especially when we have our alpha, it's a terrible allocation of team resources.

Having said that, it's probably moot - Cooks' dead cap hit means LAR would take on 10M more with an offseason trade - so I doubt that happens.  More likely Woods gets dealt, and his skill set doesn't help us all at all in what our O needs.

Again, the 2020 draft class is 2015-level in difference-makers - we need to hit that and get our long-term WR, not necessarily with a Day 1 pick, but Day 2 for sure.  That's the clearest path to sustainable contention.  If we don't want to wait the developmental year it usually takes, fine - but then UFA offers a much cheaper bridge.  And the beauty is we can do both.  I would be fine with that move, as rookie WR's take time.   And no picks lost, either.   It's a no-brainer on both counts to do both, but going after high-priced talent in trade is a Dan Snyder / Mike Tannenbaum level-bad decision.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Brandon Cooks at 13M per year for his 2021-23 years?   Sorry, we'll just agree to disagree. 

He has an out after next year in the contract. I prefer other options and alternatives just wanna make that clear.

I don't want to pigeon hole us in looking for a deep threat at wr in the draft I would rather look for one via trade.

Edited by thebestever6

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He has an out after next year in the contract. I prefer other options and alternatives just wanna make that clear.

Sure, but there's an opportunity cost in going after him under any scenario.  You go after him, the desire to spend a Day 2 pick goes way down.  And that's a massive mistake - because THIS is the year to hit WR Day 2 and get Rd1 type value.    And the same applies for a cheaper UFA signing.   You get Cooks, you aren't getting a cheaper 2-3 year deal on a Devante Parker / Robbie Anderson / Dorsett type player.   You're suggesting ONE year of Cooks and then taking the out?  That's even worse on the lost opportunity cost.

We have to stop thinking about name-value shortcuts that cost $$.    Or pick capital.    That's been Elway's MO the past 2 years of stopgaps.   No more, not if we want a sustainable rebuild.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

You get Cooks, you aren't getting a cheaper 2-3 year deal on a Devante Parker / Robbie Anderson / Dorsett type player.   You're suggesting ONE year of Cooks and then taking the out?  That's even worse on the lost opportunity cost.

Parker, and Nelson Aghlor, Robby Anderson are the ballpark of what we need. Negotiate a 2-3 year cheap prove it deal to re establish yourself. 

All I'm saying is if/when this team gets rid of a wr in sanders just to trade for one to get an audition with I will not complain. I'd like to see Lock work back into the swing of things getting a new toy engaged. 

Edited by thebestever6

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well Elway, time to get busy.  Make.  It.  Happen.

The next two weeks are gonna feel like Christmas.  What's under the tree coal or have we been good?

As far as Drew Lock don't turn into a pumpkin I hope Elway pulled a rabbit out of the hat with that pick.

41 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I wouldn't process this like it's a sure thing. Hopefully it does happen, but I think it's 50/50. 

As crazy of a statement as that seems on the surface, given how stubborn Elway's been, I don't think it's crazy at all.    If he remains stubborn, we'll need to get our butts whipped by IND our next game, so it gives Elway 2 nights and 2 days to realize what has to be done.   Fortunately being a road game and given how great their OL is, and the fact they are getting healthy, well, we can hope....

Well, as I posted the above.....Klis starts laying the groundwork for the casual fanbase.   He's not posting this without confirmation from the FO.   IMO this says Elway is finally waving the white flag on the season and looking to deal Harris Jr. and Sanders.   FINALLY.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well, as I posted the above.....Klis starts laying the groundwork for the casual fanbase.   He's not posting this without confirmation from the FO.   IMO this says Elway is finally waving the white flag on the season and looking to deal Harris Jr. and Sanders.   FINALLY.

Gotta do it. I really hope they can create enough of a bidding war to get at least a 2nd for Harris. A late 3rd for Sanders is fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Gotta do it. I really hope they can create enough of a bidding war to get at least a 2nd for Harris. A late 3rd for Sanders is fine. 

Honestly, even a late 4th for Sanders, that would be fine too.  We need so much help.   And this class is so deep in the key areas we need it.   If we get an extra 2nd & 3rd, I'd be ecstatic, but even if it was "only" a 3rd and a 4th, that still works.   But yeah, I'm really hoping Harris Jr. can net us at least a 2nd.  The need for shutdown CB's is just so high with teams like PHI, and even NO (and yes, KC - although there's zero chance Elway is selling CHJ to KC unless they are willing to part with their 1st, so I don't see that happening).

We all know draft picks aren't guarantees - but we have so many holes, we need as many picks in the top 125 to try and hit on more chances to find cheap difference-making talent. 

LT, C, WR, ILB, more DL help, and yes, even RB (because the pool is so deep, and we shouldn't extend anyone into contract#2 unless they are special, Lindsay is only one of the 2 we have that could qualify - but a lot can happen between now and year 4).   Just get help all around.  And obviously, QB.   The more Day 2 picks we have, the better.  Sadly, I don't think Day 1 is realistic, but hey, who knows....

Edited by Broncofan