Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Another Aaron Rodgers sucks thread, just what we need!

ill say it again, some of you guys are in for a rude awakening when he’s gone.

It's okay, we've been condition for .500 football after the last three years of watching him play. 

After all, his record starting the last two years is 10-12-1 with league averages in points per drive. 

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Another late thought on the first play in question. Would it have been an illegal formation without the motion ?? Talking about the WR on that side - both sides actually. I believe it would have been

I still can't imagine there's an audible for that. Would have had to kill the play and audible to a new one. Too many of those in this game 

No reason at all you couldn't kill the motion and simply motion your receivers up with hand signals if they weren't smart enough to pick up on it without your help. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's okay, we've been condition for .500 football after the last three years of watching him play. 

After all, his record starting the last two years is 10-12-1 with league averages in points per drive. 

I’m really not gonna divulge into all the crap in this post just to satisfy your need to be trendy. 

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No reason at all you couldn't kill the motion and simply motion your receivers up with hand signals if they weren't smart enough to pick up on it without your help. 

I don't know man. Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. That's a lot of crap to communicate to befuddled teammates with probably 8 seconds left on the clock. It's an interesting dilemma that I have never thought of before. I could be wrong but I still don't think there is any language for that other than to audible to a new play. I'm sure it's not the first play that was ever run that was dead in the water before the ball was snapped. Sometimes you just have to run it and live to another down.

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I got no problem with the questions. I'm confused by why anybody is talking about the damn blocking? Who cares? This should have been the easiest blocking in the world, and instead we decided to run into a freaking overloaded side. 

Yeah that's my fault too. I saw the end game and got distracted from the actual point.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

I don't know man. Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. That's a lot of crap to communicate to befuddled teammates with probably 8 seconds left on the clock. It's an interesting dilemma that I have never thought of before. I could be wrong but I still don't think there is any language for that other than to audible to a new play. I'm sure it's not the first play that was ever run that was dead in the water before the ball was snapped

Professional receivers should absolutely be smart enough to know what a gesture forward means. That particular adjustment is made with some frequency.

Even assuming that's screwed up, just say the damn formation and play itself. They'll get it then. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Professional receivers should absolutely be smart enough to know what a gesture forward means. That particular adjustment is made with some frequency.

Even assuming that's screwed up, just say the damn formation and play itself. They'll get it then. 

Yea - the receivers part is fine. The killing the motion is something that I can't wrap my head around. It's such a unique situation.  shrug

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot closer than 14th or whatever the hell DVOA is trying to claim. Would it make you feel better if I change it to 26th in Points Per Drive?

Just an observation but you tend to dismiss things that run counter to your arguments too much. 

Just now, deathstar said:

Just an observation but you tend to dismiss things that run counter to your arguments too much. 

Are you going to try and argue that this is somehow an above average offense? DVOA has it's place, but not after 3 games. 

Also, our overall offensive DVOA is 20th despite our passing DVOA being 14th and our rushing DVOA being 16th. Something's funky. 

Doing a better job of distributing credit for scoring points and winning games is the goal of DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season, assigning each play a value based on both total yards and yards towards a first down, based on work done by Pete Palmer, Bob Carroll, and John Thorn in their seminal book, The Hidden Game of Football. On first down, a play is considered a success if it gains 45 percent of needed yards; on second down, a play needs to gain 60 percent of needed yards; on third or fourth down, only gaining a new first down is considered success.

We then expand upon that basic idea with a more complicated system of “success points,” improved over the past few years with a lot of mathematics and a bit of trial and error. A successful play is worth one point; an unsuccessful play, zero points with fractional points in between (e.g., eight yards on third-and-10 is worth 0.54 “success points”). Extra points are awarded for big plays, gradually increasing to three points for 10 yards (assuming those yards result in a first down), four points for 20 yards, and five points for 40 yards or more. Losing three or more yards is -1 point. Interceptions occurring on fourth down during the last two minutes of a game incur no penalty whatsoever, but all others average -6 points, with an adjustment for the length of the pass and the location of the interception (since an interception tipped at the line is more likely to produce a long return than an interception on a 40-yard pass). A fumble is worth anywhere from -1.7 to -4.0 points depending on how often a fumble in that situation is lost to the defense -- no matter who actually recovers the fumble. Red zone plays get a bonus: 20 percent for team offense, five percent for team defense, and 10 percent for individual players. There is a bonus given for a touchdown, which acknowledges that the goal line is significantly more difficult to cross than the previous 99 yards (although this bonus is nowhere near as large as the one used in fantasy football).

We're doing very well on turnovers and redzone offense. That helps our rating a lot.