Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I can't really judge the Tonyan potential TD. I'd like to assume it's a TD, but I've seen enough of Rodgers throwing deep over the last few years that I know that throw is far from a sure thing.

I'm aware that I'm picking out bad plays here, but it's not like these are new developments. We've run into stacked sides several times now. The 4th down we lost in particular was awful, assuming you don't believe that he simply missed the first down marker. He's late on every out breaking route. He won't stand tall and deliver throws. This isn't a handful of bad plays in a game, this has been going on for two years now.

As far as the slow starter thing, I've also seen him fail to kick it into gear more recently than I've seen him throw himself into form. 

Let me judge the Tonyan throw for you because you can't compliment Rodgers, it was a freaking dime. Beautiful ball. So was the MVS TD.

I don't care about him running into fronts, that's whatever, we don't know what he's all allowed to change there this early in the process. Our HC should stop calling toss on 50% of our run plays and maybe they'd work better.

You haven't "seen him fail to kick it into gear" lately, that's revisionist history BS if I'm being blunt, just looking for reasons to be negative. We've had 19 games of Rodgers post collarbone, and 3 of them are with 2 healthy legs. Up until that injury he was playing GOAT level ball. We have a decade of history to go on other than last year, you're grabbing bits and pieces you want to paint a doom and gloom picture, I don't buy it, very McGinn-ish.

1 minute ago, coachbuns said:

Is this due to wr's not being open, not knowing where to go, thinking the scheme sucks or is Rodgers not trusting anybody but Adams?

Probably all of the above to some extent or another, but it seems like it's pretty heavy the last.

After watching this last one more closely though, MVS might be owed an apology by some of us.

The biggest thing that's troubling me is the question of if he's just only feeling confident to throw when he knows he has a free play? How many big plays does he actually have when there wasn't a flag on the ground? Does he throw to Graham against the Bears without it being a free play?

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we adjusted our offense to kill clock and score fewer points at halftime in a 10-3 game, we have massive problems in our coaching staff. 

We had drives of 4, 3, 7, 10, and 3 plays that went for a total of 109 yards. We were bad at controlling the clock. 

Yes, Chicken Little.

The sky is indeed falling.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Let me judge the Tonyan throw for you because you can't compliment Rodgers, it was a freaking dime. Beautiful ball. So was the MVS TD.

I don't care about him running into fronts, that's whatever, we don't know what he's all allowed to change there this early in the process. Our HC should stop calling toss on 50% of our run plays and maybe they'd work better.

You haven't "seen him fail to kick it into gear" lately, that's revisionist history BS if I'm being blunt, just looking for reasons to be negative. We've had 19 games of Rodgers post collarbone, and 3 of them are with 2 healthy legs. Up until that injury he was playing GOAT level ball. We have a decade of history to go on other than last year, you're grabbing bits and pieces you want to paint a doom and gloom picture, I don't buy it, very McGinn-ish.

A lot of people seem willing to dismiss last year because of the knee. I'm not. Those same sins that shot down last season were and continue to be prevalent. 

I just don't know why we should assume that he's the same guy that he was when he was playing GOAT level ball when half the problems he's having are mental at the moment?

8 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Also, why isn’t there much progress in his play?   Could it be because he’s trying to play like he’s 10 years younger, but even then, abandons the play with happy feet and panic?

Im not sure he's trying to play like he's 10 years younger. Hes still made some ridiculous throws the past few years like he did in his prime prime.  These past 2 years though his problem is he's overly cautious with the football, and that's saying something when he has pretty much always been safe with the football. We heard it all last year when he threw away a million balls, He's playing scared, he doesnt want to take chances, doesn't throw those 50/50 balls to give our recievers a chance. Im not sure that's trying to play like he's 10 years younger. To me he seems to have lost a lot of confidence throwing the football.

We all can remember back to a time when the younger, much sharper Rodgers could not only read every little detail of the defense before the snap, but he could also see - in slow motion - every chess move being made after the snap.  He was like John Wick out there.  If his first read was covered, no worries, he already knew exactly where his second and third reads were and how open they were.  It was insane.  It was other-worldly actually.

He’s changed.  Now, if Adams is absolutely blanketed, he panics, starts looking all over like he has no clue where anyone else is, then makes a really quick, sometimes crappy throw to a checkdown that he just happened to see at the very last second.  This didn’t just happen overnight, yet, he’s being asked, or demanding, to play a system that seems counterintuitive to what suites him best.

2 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Yes, Chicken Little.

The sky is indeed falling.

I don't think anybody is saying the sky is falling. 

I haven't made any comments about the long term predictions of this year. My concern is that an average offense is going to combine with a really good defense and leave us at 11-5 and getting bounced in the divisional round. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

ymlV1l7.png

Man looks pretty damn set to me. 

He gets flushed a second later. You're doing the same thing Outpost does and assuming that Rodgers is staring down MVS right now.

You have no idea where his eyes lie right now, where MVS is in his progression, etc.. it's just all bad assumptions. No different than the DB everyone curses out on the long ball when he was actually falling off his guy realizing it was a busted play. You don't know, so it's not evidence.

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Probably all of the above to some extent or another, but it seems like it's pretty heavy the last.

After watching this last one more closely though, MVS might be owed an apology by some of us.

The biggest thing that's troubling me is the question of if he's just only feeling confident to throw when he knows he has a free play? How many big plays does he actually have when there wasn't a flag on the ground? Does he throw to Graham against the Bears without it being a free play?

I don't think he trusts any receiver except for Adams.  As time passes this year, maybe (hopefully) other receivers  step up their game enough for Rodgers to throw them the darn ball.  I want Rodgers to do better just like you do and certainly hope he gets his act together more than he's shown.  

17 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And my main gripe hasn't even been touched upon yet. The whereabouts of this cutting edge new offense that was supposed to come here. I'm not seeing any McVay influenced stuff.

I need some more time with this one. I can at least show bad throws. Bringing people around on this offense is going to take two years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Im not sure he's trying to play like he's 10 years younger. Hes still made some ridiculous throws the past few years like he did in his prime prime.  These past 2 years though his problem is he's overly cautious with the football, and that's saying something when he has pretty much always been safe with the football. We heard it all last year when he threw away a million balls, He's playing scared, he doesnt want to take chances, doesn't throw those 50/50 balls to give our recievers a chance. Im not sure that's trying to play like he's 10 years younger. To me he seems to have lost a lot of confidence throwing the football.

Maybe it’s PTSD.  If so, then pull out the PTSD, old ragged a$$ QB scheme and get it implemented pronto.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think anybody is saying the sky is falling. 

I haven't made any comments about the long term predictions of this year. My concern is that an average offense is going to combine with a really good defense and leave us at 11-5 and getting bounced in the divisional round. 

Well guess what, homie?

Its week 4. In a new offense. With an aging QB trying to regain his confidence, and a rookie head coach.

Growing pains are part of that process, if you wanna count us out now, go ahead, thats your choice. Over-analyzing every detail that supports your negativity is all well and good, but ill keep pointing out that you should calm your tittys and enjoy the ride more.

3-0.