Is Aaron Rodgers still good as a pre-snap QB?

AlexGreen#20

I am not on the “Rodgers is done” bandwagon nor am I necessarily believing he’s still capable of GOAT level. I think to some degree we should be thankful that we appear to have a defense that doesn’t require our QB to play at GOAT level to win a game, but who still has enough savvy and tricks and talent to get the job done.

It sure seems like he’s developed bad habits as a result of a few major injuries and being allowed to hold on to the ball for too long. Habits are easy to make and hard to break.

Maybe it’s just hard for many to admit that a guy who is capable of playing at GOAT level could also be capable of developing bad habits more quickly or at a later age than other GOAT qbs.

Edited by ccecilnosebleed
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fair enough. Then I would assume we won't need to hear anything more about MM's antiquated offense because we certainly aren't seeing rubs or pics or crossers, or jet sweeps, or any of the actions that come with those things

Oh Frick I just said stop bringing up the pain from 07 fella. That was it. I don’t care much to beat on MM or on MLF. MM made BF great again and won us a SB. MLF has us 3-0. I am done with the half empty glass tonight. Going to rewatch Gary’s sack. Yep I will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

I am not on the “Rodgers is done” bandwagon nor am I necessarily believing he’s still capable of GOAT level. I think to some degree we should be thankful that we appear to have a defense that doesn’t require our QB to play at GOAT level to win a game, but who still has enough savvy and tricks and talent to get the job done.

It sure seems like he’s developed bad habits as a result of a few major injuries and being allowed to hold on to the ball for too long. Habits are easy to make and hard to break and maybe it’s just hard for many to admit that a guy who is capable of playing at GOAT level could also be capable of developing bad habits more quickly or at a later age than other GOAT qbs.

I think many of us were hoping MLF would bring in a new scheme that would prohibit Rodgers from falling back on some of these bad habits.  It’s too soon to tell if MLF’s new scheme will achieve this, but what we’re seeing now is a bit concerning - not panic level yet.  As everyone likes to point out, we’re 3-0.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Fair enough. Then I would assume we won't need to hear anything more about MM's antiquated offense because we certainly aren't seeing rubs or pics or crossers, or jet sweeps, or any of the actions that come with those things

We saw way more of the first three under McCarthy, that should have been immediately obvious. 

The hope was we were going to see a much more developed run game to set up play action. Instead we've seen 30 WR screens per game. 

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is 11-5 and losing in the divisional round really all that negative? giving up on the season before week 4, when you're 3-0 is most certainly irrational and negative.

Our QB isn't going to get any younger. Nor is he going to get any cheaper. Do head coaches/play callers get better with age, or do they stay stuck in their ways? It's not like LaFleur is new to offensive philosophies. No clue...but i sure as **** am not gonna judge a guy 3 weeks into a new gig, especially when he came away with victories in each game.

How much of what we're seeing is growing pains versus just the reality of our situation? Again...no clue. But its irrational to be certain its one thing or another. Give it time, perhaps it is a dog **** scheme that will never work. Perhaps it isnt.

As far as not posting negative things, bite me, my postings are way more valid than yours.  According to you, perhaps. Regardless, drawing conclusions and over-analying cherry picked situations this early is hilarious to me. So i will continue to contribute by laughing at you. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We saw way more of the first three under McCarthy, that should have been immediately obvious. 

The hope was we were going to see a much more developed run game to set up play action. Instead we've seen 30 WR screens per game. 

Right up there with the end zone fade in my book.

What do you think of the outside zone ? I'm still gonna wait and see but I'm not a fan of the concept in 2019 and beyond

1 minute ago, mikebpackfan said:

He is about to be set. then he sees a free rusher coming right at him and moves quickly away.  THIS IS WHY STILLS ARE USELESS.

Which is the problem. Be a ******* football player. Do your job. Stand in the pocket. Take a hit. Deliver a throw.

Don't play like a coward. 

Just now, cannondale said:

Right up there with the end zone fade in my book.

What do you think of the outside zone ? I'm still gonna wait and see but I'm not a fan of the concept in 2019 and beyond

I'm fine with it. From a running perspective, I'm not sure it's that different. I just wish we didn't run it so much and run so many bootleg play action reads off of it. 

Just now, mikebpackfan said:

Except everyone but you has been telling him to stop taking unnecessary hits.   Up 8, your defense is great, in the 3rd game of the season.  Stay upright, keep Boyle on the bench, go to 3 and 0.  Mission accomplished.

But that doesnt fit his narrative that Rodgers is turrible!

3 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Who is giving up on anything? Did I say anything was written in stone? I expressed a concern. 

LaFleur has been riding Pettine's coat tails in these victories. He's not the reason for them. He's part of the reason we're overtaxing our defense. We have a full year of him with the Titans to judge his philosophies. I was assured that he would run things differently with a good QB under center. So far it's been the same lousy stuff. 

Again, who is posting anything with any certainty? These are simply things that occurred. They are pieces of data that we can attempt to use to extrapolate. If all you want is to post twitter snapshots about the various positive things the packers have done, that's cool. But others don't have to do the same. I was pretty damn clear in the title this wasn't going to be an ***-kissing thread. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

Except everyone but you has been telling him to stop taking unnecessary hits.   Up 8, your defense is great, in the 3rd game of the season.  Stay upright, keep Boyle on the bench, go to 3 and 0.  Mission accomplished.

That's not an unnecessary hit. That hit is necessary to playing QB. 

• Like 1