Week 4 GDT: Patriots @ Bills - "The Test"

DER10N92

Josh Allen did not look good today at all. Even with just an average performance we could've pulled this game off and won. Very disheartening.

With that being said....

It's an absolute joke to sit here and read some of you give off the tone of already being done with him as our QB. Dude hasn't even played a seasons worth of games and is already about to be crucified in the eyes of some. Was today's game terrible offensively? Yes. But if you expect your QB, especially a young inexperienced one, to never have a bad day you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Sick of seeing people wanting turnover at a position so quickly these days. Guess thats what happens when we live in a "needs instant results" type society these days...

12 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

My takeaway from this: We can beat them...if we would just stop beating ourselves.

good game overall. McDermott has McDaniels and Brady's number. The Pats should have gone up 20-0 but after that it was all Bills. Hope Josh Allen comes back soon. He is young and will learn from his mistakes. 

5 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Josh Allen did not look good today at all. Even with just an average performance we could've pulled this game off and won. Very disheartening.

With that being said....

It's an absolute joke to sit here and read some of you give off the tone of already being done with him as our QB. Dude hasn't even played a seasons worth of games and is already about to be crucified in the eyes of some. Was today's game terrible offensively? Yes. But if you expect your QB, especially a young inexperienced one, to never have a bad day you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Sick of seeing people wanting turnover at a position so quickly these days. Guess thats what happens when we live in a "needs instant results" type society these days...

Nobody is done with Josh Allen, but we have every right to be pissed off and done with his bone head turnovers and decision making. Young or not more than half of his are inexcusable. 

31 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Nobody is done with Josh Allen, but we have every right to be pissed off and done with his bone head turnovers and decision making. Young or not more than half of his are inexcusable. 

He either learns to stop playing hero ball or he doesn't. He's never going to be overly accurate. But that means the decisions he does make have to be good ones. He cost us at least 6 points by being stupid and not just throwing 5he ball away.

If he's going to be inaccurate and boom or bust he needs to minimize the busts where he has control, all of the turnovers and bad plays yesterday were entirely on him. The bad sacks he had plenty of time to throw it out 9f bounds. 

He needs to prove to us he's capable of learning, because these are the same mistakes he made all last year.

Allen looked awful. The two things I made clear and I know others did limit turnovers and limit penalties to have shot in this game the fact that tons of turnovers and penalties happened and still in the game shows how elite the bills defense is. Outside of Allen, Special Teams, Oline and Zay Jones were a disappointment. Special teams having a punt blocked, punting the ball 21 yards, and a missed crucial 1st half field goal was absolutely pathetic. Had the bills made that field goal before half they would have gone for the field goal to tie it up rather then the 4th and goal play. Bills d shut down Tom for the most part and deserves better from that putrid offense and special teams. I know this is a big game and expectations on this thread were low but anything bad that could have happened, happened in that game. I really think it is time for Beane to get on the phone and start finding what teams are looking to move their wide receivers because Zay is not cutting it and the bills have a great chance of making the playoffs still as they are essentially 3rd in the AFC with some easy games left Miami x2 (0-4), Jets (0-3), Steelers (0-3), Broncos (0-4), Redskins (0-4). That should be 6 wins right there at 9-1. Honestly only 2 teams they have to face as of right now have a winning record, 1 is the Pats and the other is Dallas the rest are at 500 or worse. So this is the time to add an extra piece to help Allen make less mistakes by getting a WR open at times outside of Brown who has been facing double teams yesterday. 

I still think bringing in a punter to work out is necessary, the block punt can be blamed on the oline as much as the punter but the 21 yard punt is just disastrous. He has done this several times in preseason and nothing has changed. They need someone who can consistently punt down the field.

As much as I thought the oline stepped up this year compared to last it is still not as good as it should be Ty and Dawkins looked lost at times and made some really bad decisions. Lee Smith is a waste of a roster spot 4 penalties that were done at crucial times. 

On the bright spot, gore still has it, John Brown is a guy that you can count on, and Knox is a beast, he needs to be a security blanket for Allen moving forward. 

Josh looked like absolute Dog **** and I’m probably his biggest supporter on this site. We are all well aware he is boom or bust, but don’t be stupid. The scrambling right throwing off his back foot thing NEVER WORKS. EVER. The coaching staff needs to get it into his head so that it’s muscle memory. 

I also think he needs to calm down, he seemed way too overwhelmed and excited for the game. That’s where my leniency ends with him, and i chalk it up to being young and inexperienced. He came out in the second half and looked sharp, also telling me he has it in him and can adjust.

Josh wasn’t supposed to start last year, and we all knew how raw he was coming out and that he was going to be a project, so this is the timeline we all knew was going to happen. It’s just more magnified because of how good our defense is.

THINGS OTHER THAN JOSH: Boy, was I wrong about Gore. I didn’t understand the signing outside of leadership at all, but he has been fantastic for us.

Dawson Knox is going to be a top 5 tight end in this league, you can just see it. He makes tough catches, is a good route runner, and YAC for days.

Coaching: Having zero timeouts remaining with 14 minutes left in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.  I also don’t understand why they can’t draw up plays like they did for Barkley for Josh.  Use Yeldon in the passing game, build up his confidence, do something to get him in a rhythm.

Beane: Go get Stefan Diggs please.

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Allen looked awful. The two things I made clear and I know others did limit turnovers and limit penalties to have shot in this game the fact that tons of turnovers and penalties happened and still in the game shows how elite the bills defense is. Outside of Allen, Special Teams, Oline and Zay Jones were a disappointment. Special teams having a punt blocked, punting the ball 21 yards, and a missed crucial 1st half field goal was absolutely pathetic. Had the bills made that field goal before half they would have gone for the field goal to tie it up rather then the 4th and goal play. Bills d shut down Tom for the most part and deserves better from that putrid offense and special teams. I know this is a big game and expectations on this thread were low but anything bad that could have happened, happened in that game. I really think it is time for Beane to get on the phone and start finding what teams are looking to move their wide receivers because Zay is not cutting it and the bills have a great chance of making the playoffs still as they are essentially 3rd in the AFC with some easy games left Miami x2 (0-4), Jets (0-3), Steelers (0-3), Broncos (0-4), Redskins (0-4). That should be 6 wins right there at 9-1. Honestly only 2 teams they have to face as of right now have a winning record, 1 is the Pats and the other is Dallas the rest are at 500 or worse. So this is the time to add an extra piece to help Allen make less mistakes by getting a WR open at times outside of Brown who has been facing double teams yesterday. 

I still think bringing in a punter to work out is necessary, the block punt can be blamed on the oline as much as the punter but the 21 yard punt is just disastrous. He has done this several times in preseason and nothing has changed. They need someone who can consistently punt down the field.

As much as I thought the oline stepped up this year compared to last it is still not as good as it should be Ty and Dawkins looked lost at times and made some really bad decisions. Lee Smith is a waste of a roster spot 4 penalties that were done at crucial times. 

On the bright spot, gore still has it, John Brown is a guy that you can count on, and Knox is a beast, he needs to be a security blanket for Allen moving forward. 

I looked at the block punt again and it seems like they were bringing the house, how come the punter, long snapper, or hell the ST coach not realize that they were bringing it and not make an adjustment or even call a time out. They showed bringing 10 and they did. That is a huge mistake that could have been easily corrected. Special teams coordinator needs to be under fire because they wasted a 2nd half time out as they werent ready. What is so hard to be ready at the line for a simple punt. All in all piss poor for ST.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Josh looked like absolute Dog **** and I’m probably his biggest supporter on this site. We are all well aware he is boom or bust, but don’t be stupid. The scrambling right throwing off his back foot thing NEVER WORKS. EVER. The coaching staff needs to get it into his head so that it’s muscle memory. 

I also think he needs to calm down, he seemed way too overwhelmed and excited for the game. That’s where my leniency ends with him, and i chalk it up to being young and inexperienced. He came out in the second half and looked sharp, also telling me he has it in him and can adjust.

Josh wasn’t supposed to start last year, and we all knew how raw he was coming out and that he was going to be a project, so this is the timeline we all knew was going to happen. It’s just more magnified because of how good our defense is.

THINGS OTHER THAN JOSH: Boy, was I wrong about Gore. I didn’t understand the signing outside of leadership at all, but he has been fantastic for us.

Dawson Knox is going to be a top 5 tight end in this league, you can just see it. He makes tough catches, is a good route runner, and YAC for days.

Coaching: Having zero timeouts remaining with 14 minutes left in the 4th quarter is inexcusable.  I also don’t understand why they can’t draw up plays like they did for Barkley for Josh.  Use Yeldon in the passing game, build up his confidence, do something to get him in a rhythm.

Beane: Go get Stefan Diggs please.

Special Teams blew one on a simple punt, and the other was on a lost challenge. Then Allen called a timeout because he seemed overwhelmed after the sack. It definitely can be blamed on coaching but there are reasonable excuses lol. Either way I get your point on this. I also dont like how Daboll is giving Allen free range, like you said he is raw and still needs time to develop, pigeon hole him to make short routes no deep plays and maybe the mistakes will be limited. Also like you mentioned in the 3rd qtr start why didnt they continue to run similar plays and get the run game going. Only 18 run plays, 1 being a designed qb sneak. Gore was owning them why not continue to use that to your advantage and alleviate the weight on Allen's shoulders by going to the run more. Bubble screens to Yeldon, mckenzie, heck a reverse with mckenzie would have worked too. I feel like daboll doesnt open a full playbook for games or he is just limited by his knowledge of plays.

How is everyone feeling about the remainder of the season? Nothing has really changed for me. Maybe that is because I missed the first 3 quarters and didn't get a visual of just how bad it was.

That was certainly the best defense we'll see all year and for as bad as Allen was, if they can reel him back in and get him to play like he did against the Jets, Giants and Bengals for the most part, we'll be okay. 

11-5 is still a real possibility IMO. Especially if we beat Tennessee.