NBA GDT | '19-'20 | RIP KOBE "BLACK MAMBA" BRYANT

champ11

3 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

idk if that is true. if you aren't better than the other players maybe you get a limited role on the team and you don't get to try running a team. which could help w/ passing/making reads, etc. you get to mess around more when you are better than the ppl you are playing, which could help w/ your creativity on the court. if you can't make mistakes because the players will take advantage of it it might limit what you try to do. 

idk if that is true, the gl seems more reckless, unstructured than even the nba

What don’t you know if that is true? Are they not going up against grown men who some are NBA or fringe NBA caliber players? How is that not true? 

G-League is more like the NBA than college ball, that's for sure. So yeah, maybe a player can be the man on a college team while not being that dude on a G-League team, but I think it is worth the risk. Players are also getting paid well. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What don’t you know if that is true? Are they not going up against grown men who some are NBA or fringe NBA caliber players? How is that not true? 

no, the part where that will obviously be a more helpful experience. idk if that is true

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To some extent, but they still have to go to class. And for someone that was going to be one and done anyways, might as well get paid while just being able to focus on basketball. Going up against grown men from day one and having to battle fringe NBA players will help them. Besides, they get to play an NBA style of ball before actually getting to the league. They will be able to adjust to the NBA game much easier coming straight from the G-league opposed to college ball.

Exposure to guys like Green means what though? He's a top 3 prospect regardless where he plays. He could have a terrible season in the G-league and it's not going to detract teams from taking him in the top 3. I think the risk is worth the reward here. 

It certainly can help their development but it could also potentially hurt their confidence/psyche as well. 

Exposure means a ton to any top prospect. Playing on national television every night and having a following going into the league certainly helps with endorsements, etc. And I also think that just depends on how he plays, if he flashes, for sure. But as I said it's completely different for someone like Jalen Green who is an elite prospect and someone like Isaiah Todd who's not even a top 10 recruit in this cycle. Green will probably play well regardless and be an early selection. For someone like Todd, if he gets exposed and isn't a first round pick after a year, what happens then? At least in college he can return to school, work on his game, and improve his draft stock. This route doesn't give you that same opportunity and if you swing and you miss it's a long, uphill battle to get/stick in the league.

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It certainly can help their development but it could also potentially hurt their confidence/psyche as well. 

Exposure means a ton to any top prospect. Playing on national television every night and having a following going into the league certainly helps with endorsements, etc. And I also think that just depends on how he plays, if he flashes, for sure. But as I said it's completely different for someone like Jalen Green who is an elite prospect and someone like Isaiah Todd who's not even a top 10 recruit in this cycle. Green will probably play well regardless and be an early selection. For someone like Todd, if he gets exposed and isn't a first round pick after a year, what happens then? At least in college he can return to school, work on his game, and improve his draft stock. This route doesn't give you that same opportunity and if you swing and you miss it's a long, uphill battle to get/stick in the league.

500k is more than he would make in free tuition.  Plus any endorsements he could get which likely will be small.  If he gets exposed as a non NBA talent he can always go overseas and make a lot more than he would in college.  Or stick in the G league and make less but still more than he would get in compensation in college.  If he wants a degree eventually, he would have made plenty of money to go to school.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

500k is more than he would make in free tuition.  Plus any endorsements he could get which likely will be small.  If he gets exposed as a non NBA talent he can always go overseas and make a lot more than he would in college.  Or stick in the G league and make less but still more than he would get in compensation in college.  If he wants a degree eventually, he would have made plenty of money to go to school.  

It is. But just use the example that I gave earlier and you see how much he potentially loses out on. 

As I said earlier lets look at a player like Isaiah Todd, who is the consensus #14 player in the class. 

Option A: He goes to college and plays well enough to be a top 20 pick, lets say #15 overall. Hell you can say he even flashes as a freshman, returns to school, and enters the draft as a sophomore to become the #15 overall pick. 

As the #15 overall pick with the rookie pay scale he's guaranteed $16M over the first four years of his NBA career, with a potential max value of $24M on that deal depending on what happens with his 5th year option. 

Option B: He goes the G-League route and gets exposed playing against fringe NBA players fighting for their careers. He makes $500,000 to play in the G-League for a year but falls out of the 1st round because he didn't flash enough. 

He goes on to be a 2nd round pick in the draft without a guaranteed contract. He then has to fight for a roster spot in the summer league against the same guys he was just up against in the G-League plus all of the new young talent in the league. If he doesn't earn a roster spot/contract there he has two options: play in the G-League for $35,000 a year or go overseas and play for $65,000-$100,000 a year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Another thing about it too is that it's not just about making it to the league, it's about being developed enough that you can stick around. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It is. But just use the example that I gave earlier and you see how much he potentially loses out on. 

As I said earlier lets look at a player like Isaiah Todd, who is the consensus #14 player in the class. 

Option A: He goes to college and plays well enough to be a top 20 pick, lets say #15 overall. Hell you can say he even flashes as a freshman, returns to school, and enters the draft as a sophomore to become the #15 overall pick. 

As the #15 overall pick with the rookie pay scale he's guaranteed $16M over the first four years of his NBA career, with a potential max value of $24M on that deal depending on what happens with his 5th year option. 

Option B: He goes the G-League route and gets exposed playing against fringe NBA players fighting for their careers. He makes $500,000 to play in the G-League for a year but falls out of the 1st round because he didn't flash enough. 

He goes on to be a 2nd round pick in the draft without a guaranteed contract. He then has to fight for a roster spot in the summer league against the same guys he was just up against in the G-League plus all of the new young talent in the league. If he doesn't earn a roster spot/contract there he has two options: play in the G-League for $35,000 a year or go overseas and play for $65,000-$100,000 a year. 

If he is good enough after two years in college to be a top 20 pick as a sophomore, I dont see him not being a top 20 pick as a two year G Leaguer.  There will still be intrigue there, there will still be "potential" just like the kids who play overseas and dont exactly excel in their respective leagues.  If he goes to college and isnt NBA ready or never truly becomes an NBA prospect, he would be missing out on over $1M over four years.  If he is good enough for the league, he will get there either way.  There are still good coaches in the G League and playing against more developed players at a higher level would help them develop more than playing a bunch of 2/3 star prospects on most opposing teams during his year or two in college.  

15 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

If he is good enough after two years in college to be a top 20 pick as a sophomore, I dont see him not being a top 20 pick as a two year G Leaguer.  There will still be intrigue there, there will still be "potential" just like the kids who play overseas and dont exactly excel in their respective leagues.  If he goes to college and isnt NBA ready or never truly becomes an NBA prospect, he would be missing out on over $1M over four years.  If he is good enough for the league, he will get there either way.  There are still good coaches in the G League and playing against more developed players at a higher level would help them develop more than playing a bunch of 2/3 star prospects on most opposing teams during his year or two in college.  

I'm pretty sure the G-League program is only a one year thing though. I don't think you can go back for a 2nd year and then enter the draft, you're forced to become draft eligible after year 1. I also think that the $500,000 salary is only guaranteed for the first year and then you'd be on the typical G-League pay scale of $35,000 a year. So what happens if you're not ready after a year? You don't have the luxury of returning to school. 

One thing that's quickly forgotten about all of this is the psychology behind it all. As a guy that's used to being the best player everywhere he has been, coming into the G-League and getting worked could actually hurt his confidence, development, etc. We've seen it with someone like Jeremy Tyler who decided to go to the pro route instead of college and destroyed his career. 

I disagree that if he's good enough for the league, he will get there either way. Again, see Jeremy Tyler as an example. Going the pro route cost him the chance to be a potential lottery pick and instead he went in the 2nd round and missed out on a guaranteed contract. 

I also disagree that playing against more developed players at a higher level would help them develop more than playing in college for a year or two. For a player like Todd he's likely going to be a role player in the G-League seeing limited minutes. In college he'd be the focal point of Michigan's offense, have the ball in his hands a ton, and get invaluable playing time/experience. 

Obviously there are going to be guys like Zion Williamson and potentially Jalen Green that are ready to be professionals straight out of high school. I like this route for players like that. But historically the majority of guys that have made the jump directly from HS to the league have failed and/or flamed out of the league very early. That's the reason the league input the one-n-done rule to begin with. It's not just about getting to the league as quickly as possible, it's about being able to stick around and get that 2nd/3rd contract. 

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm pretty sure the G-League program is only a one year thing though. I don't think you can go back for a 2nd year and then enter the draft, you're forced to become draft eligible after year 1. I also think that the $500,000 salary is only guaranteed for the first year and then you'd be on the typical G-League pay scale of $35,000 a year. So what happens if you're not ready after a year? You don't have the luxury of returning to school. 

One thing that's quickly forgotten about all of this is the psychology behind it all. As a guy that's used to being the best player everywhere he has been, coming into the G-League and getting worked could actually hurt his confidence, development, etc. We've seen it with someone like Jeremy Tyler who decided to go to the pro route instead of college and destroyed his career. 

I disagree that if he's good enough for the league, he will get there either way. Again, see Jeremy Tyler as an example. Going the pro route cost him the chance to be a potential lottery pick and instead he went in the 2nd round and missed out on a guaranteed contract. 

I also disagree that playing against more developed players at a higher level would help them develop more than playing in college for a year or two. For a player like Todd he's likely going to be a role player in the G-League seeing limited minutes. In college he'd be the focal point of Michigan's offense, have the ball in his hands a ton, and get invaluable playing time/experience. 

Obviously there are going to be guys like Zion Williamson and potentially Jalen Green that are ready to be professionals straight out of high school. I like this route for players like that. But historically guys the majority of guys that have made the jump directly from HS to the league have failed and/or flamed out of the league very early. It's not just about getting to the league as quickly as possible, it's about being able to stick around and get that 2nd/3rd contract. 

Maybe Jeremy Tyler just isnt as good as his star rating said he was.  Guys like Ball, Hampton, Jennings, and others have played overseas and will be or were first round picks.  There are also plenty of top prospects who fell out of the first round after a year of college and missed out on that guaranteed contract (Greg Monroe, Deandre Jordan, Cliff Alexander) and other top prospects who just never developed at all (Kelvin Torbert, Cheik Diallo, Cliff Alexander, etc).  The cream rises to the top, and players arent strictly drafted on their stats/minutes.  Jaren Jackson averaged 20 mins a game, looked lost most of the time and was a top 5 pick because he had potential and abilities, even if he didnt show them.  All Todd or Green have to do is show enough to excite NBA teams that they can develop those skills.  if they dont show those skills, they dont get drafted high either way. 

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Maybe Jeremy Tyler just isnt as good as his star rating said he was.  Guys like Ball, Hampton, Jennings, and others have played overseas and will be or were first round picks.  

As I said before for elite recruits it makes sense. For guys that aren't even in the top 10 of their recruiting cycle, it doesn't. And for every guy that declared after a year and missed out on that guaranteed contract there are a number of guys that went to college, stuck around for 2-3 years and then became first round picks. 

So again, I like the potential route for elite players that are going to be professionals regardless. Don't like it for fringe players who may need a couple of years to develop. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

As I said before for elite recruits it makes sense. For guys that aren't even in the top 10 of their recruiting cycle, it doesn't. And for every guy that declared after a year and missed out on that guaranteed contract there are a number of guys that went to college, stuck around for 2-3 years and then became first round picks. 

So again, I like the potential route for elite players that are going to be professionals regardless. Don't like it for fringe players who may need a couple of years to develop. 

One and dones dont come back (other than miles bridges).  Many of them get drafted solely on potential.  Its why juniors and seniors dont get selected until the end of the first.  NBA wants potential.  The fringe prospects from last year are all going to get drafted this year.  Most in the first round.  Those who didn't might miss out on being a late first next year but are closer to that next contract if they stick.  The good ones stick around no matter where they are drafted, the bad ones don't.  If I am a top 20 prospect and I dont want to go to school, you do this and make your money while you can.  if it means going to europe or Asia later, you accept that but it likely would lead to that anyways. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

One and dones dont come back (other than miles bridges).  Many of them get drafted solely on potential.  Its why juniors and seniors dont get selected until the end of the first.  NBA wants potential.  The fringe prospects from last year are all going to get drafted this year.  Most in the first round.  Those who didn't might miss out on being a late first next year but are closer to that next contract if they stick.  The good ones stick around no matter where they are drafted, the bad ones don't.  If I am a top 20 prospect and I dont want to go to school, you do this and make your money while you can.  if it means going to europe or Asia later, you accept that but it likely would lead to that anyways. 

There were 11 freshmen, 8 sophomores, 4 juniors, and 3 seniors selected in the first round last year. I think player development before getting to the league plays a huge role in sticking around unless you're just a phenom level talent, which most guys aren't. IIRC, the vast majority of guys that went the one-n-done route but were drafted outside of the lottery didn't get second contracts. 

• 2 weeks later...